• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kugelschreiber

• mattyts

• XiaoMG

• guilhermejf

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you're looking for in your new pen...

What are you looking for?

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

So i have a choice.lamy safari or noodlers ahab?

Also where can i get a ahab in the uk?

Consider both.

Can not help.

Fred

The Big O ~ Matt Helm ~

Im looking for a durable pen that will get used everyday for taking notes in school and writing essays.

Writing for a long time and not gettning fatigue is important

Have you ever held a Safari before? If not, have you ever used a pen with a similar contoured grip?

I ask because there does seem to be some few among us who can't stand the Lamy Safari gripping section.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I have both. I find myself using the Lamy Safari everyday at work. Fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

If you're a student, I would get the Safari hands down. I've seen too many posts about fiddling with an Ahab. For the most part, the Safari is durable, writes well out of the box, and highly reliable. It was my first "full time work horse", and it did the job well. I had an EF nib, as I found that the paper used at my university was variable in quality. Pair it with a ink that doesn't tend to feather and bleed, and you've got winning set up.

Others may point out the grip is a problem. It really isn't. The grip forces you to use the classic tripod grip, where you grip the pen with the tips of your thumb, 2nd, and 3rd finger. Those with bad habits tend to find the pen unforgiving, but if you learn to hold a pen correctly, as the Safari has taught me, the sky becomes the limit.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Others may point out the grip is a problem. It really isn't. The grip forces you to use the classic tripod grip, where you grip the pen with the tips of your thumb, 2nd, and 3rd finger. Those with bad habits tend to find the pen unforgiving, but if you learn to hold a pen correctly, as the Safari has taught me, the sky becomes the limit.

Good to know it is my fault. :thumbup: ;)

If the grip weren't an issue, I would pick the Safari hands down over the Ahab.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I have and use both. I have more Ahabs than Safaris, but you should probably get a Safari first. I tend to use Safaris for note-taking and Ahabs for letter writing.

Absolutely for your purposes get a Safari or for a bit more the Al-Star, which I believe is even a bit more indestructible. And I agree with professionaldilettante on the EF nib. Lamy nibs are western sizes.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

The Safari is a great everyday pen.

The Noodler's Ahab is a tinkering pen. It's fun do doodle with, play with the flex, etc. But it can be temperamental.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

For everyday note writing and whatnot, the Safari is a lot more practical. I always carry one with me to school. The Safari is perfect for me as a high school student because it's not too expensive, extremely durable and the perfect weight for me to write loads of notes during class! More on the durability, my friend accidentally flung the pen across my class ( :rolleyes: ) and it stayed perfect in tact, with just a bit of ink on the nib. I like the Vista (clear demonstrator version of the Safari) a bit better for school because I can see how much ink is left. Either way excellent choice.

I have the Ahab too, but I don't use it very often. It's not a very inconsistent pen, and I'd rather not risk blobbing ink all over an essay or something! :roflmho:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

The lamy safari is a great writer. The ahab requires some fiddling with the nib which I don't have patience for. I just want something work out of the box when I get it. Lamy Safari hands down.

Dave

If you take the time and are patient, the Ahab can be really great. Mine is one of my most consistent writers.

If you want a pen that will write pretty well out of the box with no adjustments, a Safari is for you. I have one, and used it for a long time, but it doesn't get much use any more from me.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

1342740964[/url]' post='2409306']

Im looking for a durable pen that will get used everyday for taking notes in school and writing essays.

Writing for a long time and not gettning fatigue is important

In that case I say safari. I'm not sure Ahab will be that useful for what you're envisioning.

I wrote a considerable portion of my doctoral thesis with a Safari. It's a great pen for nose to the grind work.

Good luck!

Edited by revdrjaydwright

+1 on the Safari as a first purchase between these two. The Ahab is pretty nice but there's a reason they've sold so many Lamys... (Plus I'd sooner recommend the Konrad over the Ahab :) )

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hi,

I've been using an Ahab that was loaned to me, and really like the ergonomics of the pen, and loove the design which allows it to be taken to bits for cleaning and adjustment. I have some concern about the reliability of the section-to-reservoir joint. I like the nib, but it may be a bit wide, so one needs to seek-out third party nibs to source a narrow nib. I know of only one vendor in the UK with Ahabs in stock, purepens dot co dot uk.

The Safari has a proven track record as a reliable robust cost-effective workhorse. It takes ink from bottles and [proprietary] cartridge. Ink level can be determined without removing the barrel. There is a wide range of inexpensive (£4.50) nibs available, which can be swapped-out in the field if necessary. The clip is amongst the most grippy that I've come across, (so sorry Tuckie.) It comes in Pink. It may be a cult object. Some are Non-Nudists, so will let it be known that they prefer some sort of attire LINK

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I don't find the Ahab the best workhorse. Noodler's flex nib may not work well over any kind of paper. Safari would be nicer, and school pen is its purpose. I struggled a lot with its grip, but since I learned how to use the tripod grip, it's wonderful.

I just got my first charcoal Safari and though I wish it had a finer nib, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it...especially for the price. If I were still a student and wrote larger and insisted on a fountain pen, I think it'd be one of my top choices. I was expecting it to be kinda janky like some of my old Platinum pens, but it's a very well thought-out pen with good performance. It's almost too bad that as a "beginner pen", so many people feel like they grow out of it as their collections develop.

Robert.

+1 on the Safari. You will almost find them more consistent and dependable than the Noodler's pens.

I have a Konrad and enjoy it, but requires fiddling, while the Safari has never been anything other than on point (pun intended).