Conid Fountainbel's Bulk Filler Ltd Demonstrator

olivier78860

Oops, Sorry Olivier! I did not realise I had hijacked your post, I only saw it from page 2, and I had thought it was started by Fountainbel (I found it when I clicked on his name). I should have put my review on another thread. Anyway, very nice review! and great pictures! I love the presentation box with your name, I hadn't seen those. It reminds me of when you buy a new Aston Martin, as you do.

Marsillius, I agree with everything you said...garden, coffee, ...wait a minute, cake?!

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• mongrelnomad

• pavoni

• olivier78860

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is "in route" but still in Europe. The wait is killing me ...crybaby.gif gaah.gif

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.

No problem, Mandarintje, I was offering on another thread that this review would be the gathering point of all pictures/impressions. And your pictures are really nice ! (I seriously have to learn how to improve my picture taking skills).

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

FYI :Below the finalized " filling instructions" for the bulk filler.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome !

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/HandleidingV6_BIS00001.jpg

• 3 months later...

After more than a year of enjoying this pen which has been with me to New York, the Swiss Alps, Italy, the Jersey Shore, it has survived a minor earthquake, a tropical storm, high altitude, cheap paper and even my heavy handedness.

It started off as a prototype and over the course of the last...18 months or so Francis?... it has been tweaked a couple of times. Nothing major, and not even through fault but through improved ideas. It is now THE most reliable pen that I depend on every day at home and elsewhere. It carries so much ink you wouldn't believe it. Filling it is so simple, yet every time you do it, you sort of wonder if you can remember because it has been so long ago =) the capacity is massive.

Here are some pictures of mine. In case you can't read the text, mine is tailor made with a vintage 14k flex nib, a sterling silver clip. It works every time I pick it up, and I have been known to leave it a couple of weeks while I'm doing renovations or whatever and still it works straight away. Not only that, but to have a modern pen like this with such a capacity and safe (non-leaky) mechanism alongside a flexible vintage nib is just a dream come true.

In short: I love it. (and the rest are collecting dust)

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab338/mandarintje/IMG_0239.jpg

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab338/mandarintje/IMG_0238.jpg

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab338/mandarintje/IMG_0237.jpg

WOW !! Lovely pen matched by some stunning writing :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 2 weeks later...

After more than a year of enjoying this pen which has been with me to New York, the Swiss Alps, Italy, the Jersey Shore, it has survived a minor earthquake, a tropical storm, high altitude, cheap paper and even my heavy handedness.

It started off as a prototype and over the course of the last...18 months or so Francis?... it has been tweaked a couple of times. Nothing major, and not even through fault but through improved ideas. It is now THE most reliable pen that I depend on every day at home and elsewhere. It carries so much ink you wouldn't believe it. Filling it is so simple, yet every time you do it, you sort of wonder if you can remember because it has been so long ago =) the capacity is massive.

Here are some pictures of mine. In case you can't read the text, mine is tailor made with a vintage 14k flex nib, a sterling silver clip. It works every time I pick it up, and I have been known to leave it a couple of weeks while I'm doing renovations or whatever and still it works straight away. Not only that, but to have a modern pen like this with such a capacity and safe (non-leaky) mechanism alongside a flexible vintage nib is just a dream come true.

WOW !! Lovely pen matched by some stunning writing :thumbup:

Just posted: a fact sheet for the new CONID Black Bulkfiller. Werner and Francis have done it again!

The light you see at the end of the tunnel is that of a fast approaching train.

nice clip and handwriting, great photos as well!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

• 6 months later...

I am warning you and prohibit you posting such torturous pictures, ever again.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

The pen shown by mandarintje happens to be one of my early "home made" bulk filler test prototypes.

Three of these pens were intensively tested over six months period by 3 individual "frequent writers".

Thanks to their valued input I was able to fine tune to pen to its actual perfection.

Thanks again guys !

Francis

I may have to rethink these pens. The flex nib seems like a joy to use.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks! Mike here. Sorry to jumpstart an old thread!

I'm new to the boards but have been a long time lurker.

Since getting into fountain pens, I have always had and really only used Lamy's.

I saw Fountainbel's Bulkfiller and I. Am. In. Love.

I joined specifically to post in this thread and ask people what nibs they were most comfortable with. Lamy's M and F is what I've always known. But this would be my first jump into the world of high end pens and its a reasonable decision for something that is built half the world away.

I see lots of writing samples here, does anyone (or can someone) who has a Bulkfiller lay down a few lines next to the pen cap or a coin for thickness reference?

Thanks!

Hi folks! Mike here. Sorry to jumpstart an old thread!

I'm new to the boards but have been a long time lurker.

Since getting into fountain pens, I have always had and really only used Lamy's.

I saw Fountainbel's Bulkfiller and I. Am. In. Love.

I joined specifically to post in this thread and ask people what nibs they were most comfortable with. Lamy's M and F is what I've always known. But this would be my first jump into the world of high end pens and its a reasonable decision for something that is built half the world away.

I see lots of writing samples here, does anyone (or can someone) who has a Bulkfiller lay down a few lines next to the pen cap or a coin for thickness reference?

Thanks!

The Bulkfillers use standard Bock size 6 or 8 nib units. That means that if you've used most pen companies (Pelikan, Omas, Parker etc) you'll know how they write. I find them a bit narrower than the equivalent Lamys, but not substantively so.

The good news is that the nib units just screw in (as in Pelikans) - if you feel you've chosen the wrong nib width, I'm sure Francis and Werner will allow you to either buy a supplementary unit, or do a switcheroo...

I'd think the more difficult choice would be between stainless steel, gold and titanium :)

Too many pens; too little writing.

Hi mongrelnomad, as you have a few of these excellent pens, do you have different nibs on each or have you stuck to what you like and know?

Pavoni.

I've been meaning to post a review on the Conid Bulkfiller with medium Ti nib, but let me just say simply it is one of the smoothest writers and exquisite construction I have. I enjoy this pen so much, I have been fortunate to order another. Here's some pics of the pen and my Kanji practice on Hobonichi Cousin planner :)

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

Conid%2BBulkfiller%2BKanji%2Bcopy.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

They are great pens Steve aren't they. :thumbup: I can fully appreciate why you are going for another one and great guys like mongrelnomad already have a few.

I have carried mine with me ever since I bought one of the original Demonstrators when they first came out. However, I have spent most of the last 18 months writing with either a dip pen or one of my vintage fountain pen nibs. Because of the enjoyment I personally get from my flexible nibs, my precious Bulkfiller has been relegated to the role of a 'Minder' (backup) to my daily carry.

The best pen on the planet for me would be a Kingsize Bulkfiller (ink capacity), with a wonderful EF to BBB vintage nib (of which I have a few and better).

I am therefore interested in any of the 100s of satisfied Bulkfiller owners who have successfully transplanted their dream nib into the dream pen which is the Fountainbel Conid Bulkfiller! :happycloud9:

I have tried a number of nibs and feeds but thus far been unsuccessful in finding the right sized nib and feed combo to sit happily in the section sleeve to be able to take advantage of the Bulkfiller's qualities.

I want the best of both worlds and I am determined to get it.

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

• 2 months later...

Well folks! My pens just showed up the other day! I was pleasantly surprised to see it just took one week for them to arrive here in New York from Belgium. I was expecting much longer based on other owner's reviews!

The pens are absolutely stunning. I didn't get to ink them right away (they arrived in Friday) because I had work and really wanted to enjoy the experience.

Werner was absolutely fantastic to work with. He responded to MANY emails, promptly. Delivered exactly what I asked for and sent photos of the pens to hold me over.

I might order a Ti F nib too, the medium is a bit heavy for what I was expecting. But, that's on me - not Werner or even the pen.

I was a bit bummed that the nib didn't line up with the clip. Not entirely sure why as this isn't something I look for in pens usually - it really is so insignificant. I had seen in a video review however that they did and from then on thought it was a very nice fit-finish touch.

One of the pens also seemed a bit finicky. After filling the barrel when I went to disengage the piston the fingers only partially engaged. The rod would break loose of the piston before the piston would lock in the end of the pen. I dismantled the pen (which was seriously fun) and just added some silicone grease from Goulet Pens. All fixed! The nib on that same pen seemed to burp ink also. But I think that condition was created by my filling technique. Surely, it'll be refined with more use of the pen.

It is FANTASTIC to have these hand crafted pens. It's a privelage to have the opportunity.

Thanks Werner and Francis!

Will be reaching out soon to order both pens a F nib!

Will post some photos soon!

Mike

So, here's some quick shots. It's inked up with Lamy black. Nothing exciting, but I need black for work so it's pure utility at this rate.

Got a great fill, took two tries and pushed out the air like one would do with a syringe.

The fill, empty fill method still only gave me about 85% fill in the barrel.

The Lamy seems a bit thin in this, as I get some weeping between the tines. I'll have to fiddle with it a bit.

You can see that my nib doesn't line up with the clip. This is the same in both Bulkfillers I bought. It's very much menial and by no means hampers my approval. Just a little OCD back I've recently been turned on to.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/rescuebeetle/e7e5ac8e15199800d11b76d6d6e869c0.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/rescuebeetle/d3c0435932413c0355a79d86d9cd88c0.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/rescuebeetle/7d7c7ac89e36473e994a0545b4f8a808.jpg

I love the boxes too. Way cooler than the basic clamshell and ribbon that were all used to. The cardboard sleeve has a number (presumably an order number?) also the model and my name.

The aluminum case resembles an ammo can, and has a form fit foam insert with space for the pen, Conid Key, and accessories like a spare nib. Very, very cool.

You can see that my nib doesn't line up with the clip. This is the same in both Bulkfillers I bought. It's very much menial and by no means hampers my approval. Just a little OCD back I've recently been turned on to.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/rescuebeetle/d3c0435932413c0355a79d86d9cd88c0.jpg

Unscrew the top of the cap a bit (per instructions) and turn the clip. It rotates freely until locked. Then re-tighten and voila...

Edited by mongrelnomad

They are great pens Steve aren't they. :thumbup: I can fully appreciate why you are going for another one and great guys like mongrelnomad already have a few.

I have carried mine with me ever since I bought one of the original Demonstrators when they first came out. However, I have spent most of the last 18 months writing with either a dip pen or one of my vintage fountain pen nibs. Because of the enjoyment I personally get from my flexible nibs, my precious Bulkfiller has been relegated to the role of a 'Minder' (backup) to my daily carry.

The best pen on the planet for me would be a Kingsize Bulkfiller (ink capacity), with a wonderful EF to BBB vintage nib (of which I have a few and better).

I am therefore interested in any of the 100s of satisfied Bulkfiller owners who have successfully transplanted their dream nib into the dream pen which is the Fountainbel Conid Bulkfiller! :happycloud9:

I have tried a number of nibs and feeds but thus far been unsuccessful in finding the right sized nib and feed combo to sit happily in the section sleeve to be able to take advantage of the Bulkfiller's qualities.

I want the best of both worlds and I am determined to get it.

Pavoni.

For a Kingsize Bulkfiller, the first nib matching your specifications that comes to mind would be a Waterman #8 size pink or black nib. A flexible Montblanc #9 nib would probably work too. Off brand nibs that big aren't exactly common; however, a big dip pen nib might work. Instead of trying to get a vintage feed that fits in the modern sleeve, why not use the modern feed (the Kingsize comes with an ebonite feed, instead of plastic, if that matters to you) and have it adjusted to match the flow of the vintage flex nib?

I can tell you from experience that Waterman Emblem nibs are plug -and play (I have a flex EF on one of my Kingsizes). MB 149 nibs will fit too though you will have to send them to Francis for fitting into a specially altered sleave.

The question then becomes : can you find suitable nibs loose, or do you cannibalise other pens (something I am finding quite difficult to do)...

Edited by mongrelnomad