Pens For Docs

politovski

I have posted previously on my troubles with hospital progress note paper, and since then I have found that my Parker 45 Fine nib with R &K Salix works well. There are still some sheets of paper where it feathers, but my attitude has been "as long as they can read my writing, I'll live with the feathering." We just deployed our EMR though, so my pens will mostly reside in my white coat pocket.

Sunil

Sigh, indeed. EMR has cut down my FP use significantly as well. We went live June 1st. I'm thinking about joining a letter exchange actually.

Same here! I don't know how to get hooked up to a letter exchange, any ideas? Grace

Pen Nutzee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• hari317

• jimhughes

• Frank C

I have posted previously on my troubles with hospital progress note paper, and since then I have found that my Parker 45 Fine nib with R &K Salix works well. There are still some sheets of paper where it feathers, but my attitude has been "as long as they can read my writing, I'll live with the feathering." We just deployed our EMR though, so my pens will mostly reside in my white coat pocket.

Sunil

Sigh, indeed. EMR has cut down my FP use significantly as well. We went live June 1st. I'm thinking about joining a letter exchange actually.

Same here! I don't know how to get hooked up to a letter exchange, any ideas? Grace

Check out the thread!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Nice thread here.... I am a dentist myself...

Currently using a Parker 75 cisele or a Parker sonnet cisele, have dropped the pens sometimes and they take some abuse as such.... u cannot disinfect the grip sections with spirit or propyl alcohol..... :bawl::gaah:the section gets discolored beyond goodness......

Both these pens are great.... but you must have those disnfectant wipes which have ohter chemicals aside from alcohol and then check for both these pens....

both pens are amazing and patient's also look at the pen and the weird doctorly handwriting....

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

i am a medical dentist in a public hospital, i prefer lamy safari with stub nibs, i change the color everyday and my secretary knows the color i use on that day.

also i carry a senator windsor with pelikan bb for some serious paper work and signing.

• 10 months later...

Any fountain made-of or plated-with sterling silver. I know it's hard to imagine toting a Yard-O-Led or an especially ornate Waterman 52 around for casual use, but silver's stellar antimicrobIal properties scream "doctor pen" to me. I know there is a European-made solid copper ballpoint on the market. I have a copper Embasay Pen and a brass Render K, and I love them. I also take solice in the fact that they self-sanitize within several hours. Copper's antimicrobial nature is second only to silver's, and since I don't see any copper FP's being manufacturered at he moment, silver it is.

Yes you are absolutely right. Silver and the copper alloy materials (brass and bronze) are self-sterlizing and will kill bacteria, viruses and spores. These are ideal for pens for doctors and other health professionals. The Acme Hatch roller ball is a brass pen that is marketed for this. I typically carry a yard-o-led grand viceroy and a sailor 1911 with sterling grip sections. I DO NOT leave them lying around. You can pick up some nice silver pens on e-bay for under $100.

As has been pointed out, the EMR will mean very little writing will be needed in the future so my little collection of pens will likely see less and less use except for writing personal notes. It's almost enough to make one think about law school. ;)

Now seeing the article on bacterial colonization of stethoscopes in the current issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, I'd like to get an old brass stethoscope. :)

My apologies for dredging up old topics.

Hi all I am a urology resident in public hospital in mumbai India. I use my parker frontier, parker vector, and some Indian pens like wality and kim ebonite pen my vality cost me 1 to 3 dollar's aprpox 70 to 200 rupees and write equal to parker .thinking of buying a sheafre or waterman.

I (not a physician) work in a big private medical specialty clinic that is fully EMR. All the actual writing I do anymore is make my personal "To Do" lists, and sign my name. That means pretty much any fountain pen will work, but I have a nice array of good "user" pens that I prefer, and most of them have old cartridges that I squeeze some different inks into every now and then for a nice change of pace. There are over 100 staff in the place, and I'm the only fountain pen user.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am a doctor and let me tell you, writing is boring (at least to me) but writing with a lovely pen is a rewarding experience. I have more than one pen and altough I love montblancs, I find Montegrappa to be better built and heavier (they have more silver), The nibs are great on both but I have find my way easier on Montegrappa. I own the 88 anivversary, human civilization and cosmos enigma, all great.

Montblanc have devoted their efforts to the fabrication of watches, recent writer´s series models are very dissapointing to me, they look cheap and unispired, the last one I really liked is the Proust, afterwards is just resine with no metal. Montegrappa are cheaper (at least in ebay)

My patients frequently commment on my pens and fountain pens are seldom used by most people so using one is a symbol of distinction.

I am a re-convert to fountain pens but have amassed quite a few of late. Currently, I am rotating the pens that I have but my favourites are my Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black, Onoto Charles Dickens and my Pelikan M800.

Since my new return to pens, I have noticed that the anaesthetists (or anaesthesiologists for the North Americans out there) in my hospital are the ones who are using the nicest pens. Most of them are using Mont Blanc Starwalkers. I know that the likes of Conway Stewart and Onoto have released a "doctor pen" but I don't really like the styles that they have come up with so will continue with my Sailor and Pelikan for now.

I'm a retired urologist. I used fountains throughout my education, training and then for my entire career. I've used quite a few during those years and formulated my own ideas regarding functionality and durability along with that pleasing/satisfying aesthetic regarding the ink trail on paper. I'd always have a rollerball (Parker Sonnet black lacquer) for carbon copies or Order sheets, etc., as well.

The fountain pen that stands out and which I used for the longest interval is my sapphire Waterman Edson with a broad oblique nib. Amazingly it is heavier in the pocket and larger than most pens, and the barrel is not indestructable. Yet it was (and remains) a favorite.

Another contender was always a Parker Sonnet fountain pen in black lacquer. Very springy italic broad nib with a good size for the pocket and heft with durability thanks to the brass barrel beneath the lacquer.

I do believe that if I were in practice today, I'd be going for a Franklin Christoph model with a steel Masuyama stub nib. I can't imagine using anything other than a cartridge converter type pen in these scenarios.

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

From reading all the posts I will mention something that I feel in using Fps in hospital .I always carry a pen -set and I use ball points exclusively in writnig notes because patients notes are at risk of being washed away as most patients here donot give proper regard to doctors notes /prescriptions. Ball-point is very good for loaning bsecuse people maltreat nibs and also you can write on adhesive tape etc , where a fp can not , (or atleast )without damaging nib. And , your precious /collectible pens are at very much at risk of damage /loss in hospital ,especiailly in emergency and operation theatre ( I am a surgeon !) . I use my fps in calm outpatient

envoironment , and some of my pens and inks attract people , and I am famous in hospital for my pens !

Parker 45 flighter is a good choice in hospital set-up . It is solid ,durable and if nib damaged ,can be replaced easily. Cross bps or fps with steel nibs are also tough and attractive. As far as ,pen sterlization with alcohol is concerned ,it may change the color of plastic pens.And one last point I would like to mention , I feel bad when I write " general status is serious / critical " with a costly or golden pen!

From reading all the posts I will mention something that I feel in using Fps in hospital .I always carry a pen -set and I use ball points exclusively in writnig notes because patients notes are at risk of being washed away as most patients here donot give proper regard to doctors notes /prescriptions. Ball-point is very good for loaning bsecuse people maltreat nibs and also you can write on adhesive tape etc , where a fp can not , (or atleast )without damaging nib. And , your precious /collectible pens are at very much at risk of damage /loss in hospital ,especiailly in emergency and operation theatre ( I am a surgeon !) . I use my fps in calm outpatient

envoironment , and some of my pens and inks attract people , and I am famous in hospital for my pens !

Parker 45 flighter is a good choice in hospital set-up . It is solid ,durable and if nib damaged ,can be replaced easily. Cross bps or fps with steel nibs are also tough and attractive. As far as ,pen sterlization with alcohol is concerned ,it may change the color of plastic pens.And one last point I would like to mention , I feel bad when I write " general status is serious / critical " with a costly or golden pen!

All good points, which is why I also carried a roller ball next to the omnipresent fountain pen.

Without the ability to write progress notes, etc., with my fountain pen, a real pleasure would have been forfeited.

And, like you, I was also a surgeon (urologic surgeon) and both pens were always in the scrub suit pocket beneath the operating gown so that the post op note would be written with the fountain pen!

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

I'm a Psychiatrist so no worries about Theatre etc!!

Sometimes a pen is just a pen. ;)

Edited by Medsen Fey