The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine Red Dragon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:38

LiB Stylo-plumes

I discovered this color in a postcard from a fellow FPNer. I was looking for a new red, as I was tired of Monaco Red (also from Diamine), and Diamine Dragon Red looked way more vibrant on paper than in online swab pics.

I ordered a bottle from Cult Pens (no affiliation, only a happy customer), and when I received the bottle I loaded my spare Lamy Vista with it, and I began to write.

I was charmed, it's truly a beautiful color, with generous flow, rather saturated but with some nice shading. A great ink for me!

Ink review - Diamine Red Dragon

It's a very generous ink, with good flow, but that generates show-through and some feathering and bleed-through on cheap paper. On standard office paper feathering is minimal, as bleed-through, but show-through makes of Diamine Red Dragon a one side only ink on this paper.

The ink isn't waterproof at all, as you can see in bottom right corner. The corner itself was submerged in water for 30 seconds, and the grid motif was splashed with water drops.

I have to test it with a dryer nib, maybe my Arimail 44, and with an italic or stub nib. I will post an update as I will do it.

As usual, I've posted this review also in my blog, LiB Pens. Please feel free to leave comments there too :)

Edited by LostInBrittany, 17 July 2012 - 10:14.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Colors

Colors

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:47

Love red dragon

#3 sadiemagic

sadiemagic

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:56

I got a sample from a fellow FPN member and my search for a great red was over. I love Red Dragon! Not too brown, not too orange, just the right shade. I agree it tends to bleed through in wetter pens, but I can easily forgive that for the great color it has.

Nice concise review!
Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

#4 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2012 - 17:40

Great review, thank you. This is a gorgeous, deep colour. I love the way it dries. I want to try it in a fine nib and see how it behaves.
If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2012 - 21:21

looks like a rust red, but I really like it. thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#6 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:45

One of my faves too! Great review :)
Tamara

#7 tophercarlton

tophercarlton

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:04

+1 for Red Dragon. A handful of days ago, I wrote a review as well (not as detailed as this one)...Mine is a bit more dramatic..LOL

Side note: I like your "Ink Sampler & Review Form." I might have to make one up for myself to use.

~ Topher
Posted Image

#8 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03

Nice color and Thank You for doing this Review!

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#9 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 15:33

Always in the hunt for a good red. I will have to at least sample this one. Thanks.
Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

#10 Plumdragon

Plumdragon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 17:06

I LOVE Red Dragon. I have it currently in a nice F nib Prera, and it's like writing with a needle in all senses of the word. I've got Monaco too and I much prefer the Dragon. Go figure ;)

+1 for Red Dragon. A handful of days ago, I wrote a review as well (not as detailed as this one)...Mine is a bit more dramatic..LOL

Side note: I like your "Ink Sampler & Review Form." I might have to make one up for myself to use.

~ Topher

I believe that's the review form pinned at the top of the Ink Reviews forum? Looks a lot more in depth than the basic one I made up for myself...

Edited by Plumdragon, 17 August 2012 - 17:08.

Beware of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Sponsored Content

|