The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Upper Ganges Vs Liberty's Elysium?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:54

Has anyone tried comparing the new formulation of Upper Ganges with Liberty's Elesium? Both look like vibrant blues that are water resistant.

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:29

As soon as mine arrives, I'll be sure to do so. Hopefully some nice poster will have photos.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

#3 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:53

Depends whether full waterproof/bulletproof properties in this color range are important to you.

FinalBanner-Transparent-300.jpg

#4 Cerbeos

Cerbeos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:04

$2 isn't much for a bottle difference.

Get 2 samples and go from there!!!
Posted Image

#5 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:04

Has anyone tried comparing the new formulation of Upper Ganges with Liberty's Elesium? Both look like vibrant blues that are water resistant.

The reviews I see on UGB do not show that ink to be "vibrant." I'd call it more "vintage." If you want vibrant AND water resistant, then LE is the ink for you.

Edited for spelling

Edited by januaryman, 16 July 2012 - 13:05.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#6 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:20

Maybe the formula changed, because my bottle of UG Blue is a rather soft powder blue.

#7 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 18:07

Maybe the formula changed, because my bottle of UG Blue is a rather soft powder blue.

I don't know if the formula has changed or not (available scans vary widely) but I got a sample from Goulet's a few days ago, and I would describe it as a soft, sky blue - not vibrant - but very nice in it's own right. Here is a pic from my brief review in the review section.

Unfortunately, I knocked over my sample, so have none remaining to do the promised follow up, but will be ordering a bottle. I think it could be "enhanced" by mixing with a little Noodler's Blue, or a combination of Ottoman Azure and Navajo Turquoise to make a more vibrant ink along the lines of Liberty's Elysium, but of course then there would be the same tendency to bleed if it got wet, depending on how much regular ink was needed to bring up the vibrancy.

Posted Image

Dan

Edited by DanF, 16 July 2012 - 18:42.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#8 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:26

Hmm... how does UG compare with Pilot Blue? I'm quite familiar with the latter, which is also a similar soft sky blue you described. While Pilot Blue is water resistant, it IS a little faded for my tastes. If Noodler's UG is similar to Pilot Blue, then I guess I'll go with Noodler's LE (and get a sample of UG to round things out...)

#9 Tonight

Tonight

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:18

Hmm... how does UG compare with Pilot Blue? I'm quite familiar with the latter, which is also a similar soft sky blue you described. While Pilot Blue is water resistant, it IS a little faded for my tastes. If Noodler's UG is similar to Pilot Blue, then I guess I'll go with Noodler's LE (and get a sample of UG to round things out...)

I have both Pilot Blue and Upper Ganges.
The Pilot Blue is actually slightly darker than the Upper Ganges.
They are both in the archive section of my collection.

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 33,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:19

Although the inks are in a similar family - they behave differently.

Liberty is bright but not florescent under black light and not water proof (though water resistant).

Luxury Blue - my favorite - shows up under UV light and is water proof. I think Upper Ganges looks most like Luxury Blue.

Upper Ganges is not as dark as Lux or as Bright as Liberty but it is less expensive than Lux and water resistant.

Here is a sample from my blotter. I used three new brushes all #4. I dipped the brush, in the ink, swished down the page and then let them dry. As soon as the brushes were dry, I dipped the brushes in water and washed across the bottom part of each of the lines. Next time, I'd also add the comparison with Polar blue.

Posted Image

Edited by amberleadavis, 20 July 2012 - 07:41.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

#11 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:26

I would call Upper Ganges water proof, not just resistant. I didn't notice any color coming off in water when I tested it.

Dan.
"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 33,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:44

I would call Upper Ganges water proof, not just resistant. I didn't notice any color coming off in water when I tested it.

Dan.

Water proof is probably fair, I had a lot of ink on that page, but at you can see it did wash a little. I haven't really soaked it and tried to get it off the page so I didn't say water proof.

#13 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 15:27

Unfortunately, I knocked over my sample, so have none remaining to do the promised follow up, but will be ordering a bottle.

Follow-up or no follow-up, I very much appreciate the writing sample you posted.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#14 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 15:30

Upper Ganges is not as dark as Lux or as Bright as Liberty but it is less expensive than Lux and water resistant.

Thanks for the photo. From that it looks like it might be considered a "low calorie" Luxury Blue. :)

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 33,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 18:44

WELL..... Posted Image I've been informed the big differences between Luxury Blue and Upper Ganges are ones that I didn't see with my little UV light. (Although the fact I've been considering the "need" for a nifty black light is a little crazy).

Saw your post on Eternal Upper Ganges - it looks similar to Luxury Blue, but Luxury blue has none of the violets and neons in the UV side that Ganges has...under a black light of the right frequency they look very different. They are both extremely durable both chemically and vrs. UV light.

Sponsored Content

|