The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Upper Ganges Blue - Current Iteration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:27

Since inquiring minds want to know now, I threw this together to serve until I can do a proper review.

I just received a sample vial of UGB form Goulet's. I now wish I had ordered a whole bottle. It looks nothing like the sample in the review by politovski from 2008.

I would call it a mid value (value refers to light/dark continuum), slightly desaturated sky blue. It shades a bit, no feathering, bleed through or show through on Xerox 20# copy paper from work, seems to be generally well behaved, and is completely waterproof. True to the other bulletproof blues, it is not a vibrant ink, but it is quite pleasant to my eye. I would describe it as more pastel than chalky. Tested with a dryish medium nib, results may be different with a wet nib.

I forgot to do a dry time section before taking the sample photo, but I can write "drytime", and immediately go over it with my finger, and the only thing that smudges is the dot of the "i". On vertical lines, the bottom most portion where the ink pools will smear for up to about 8 seconds. This is on HP 32# laser paper with a somewhat dry, medium nib. On the Xerox copy paper, it dries within a couple of seconds.

As I expected, it's lighter than the dip pen sample on Goulet's site - the bulletproof inks really flow from a dip pen, and so nearly always appear darker than they would from a fountain pen.

Here is a hastily done sample, with DC Supershow Blue at the bottom for comparison. I adjusted the color as best I could in Photoshop, would say it's pretty close to the real thing. Writing is pretty large about 1/2 for the caps.

Posted Image

Dan

Edited by DanF, 15 July 2012 - 09:38.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 KenD

KenD

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:01

Great succinct review!

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 14:21

Excellent, thank you

#4 Ad_Astra

Ad_Astra

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 16:55

A nice soft blue; I like it.

Although the one I'm drooling over in that shot is really the DCSSB...
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

#5 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 17:19

Just what I'd been waiting for. Thjanks so much for the review. I need my own sample to play with now. Hmm... what else should I sample? I need to look around.
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#6 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:24

Glad to be of some help. Sad to report that I just knocked over my sample as I was preparing to do some additional comparisons, so nothing further can be done until a new bottle arrives.

Posted Image

#7 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 19:50

Thanks for the review. From your quick comparison photo, the DC Superblue looks much nicer actually. What's your opinion of the two, being able to see them in "real life"? (and, isn't the DC Superblue also bullet proof? Or not?)
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#8 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2012 - 20:59

DC Supershow Blue from Private Reserve is not waterproof. I used it for the comparison because it was the only other blue I had inked up at the time. No bulletproof inks are that dark and intense, they all have a softer look when dry, just something about the way they sink into and bond with the paper.

Dan

Posted Image

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:33

Hmm... it looks a little chalky like Polar blue.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

#10 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:07

I used to be enamored by the brighter blues, Like DC Supershow, but as I look at the pages I wrote in those bright blues, I grew tired of the color; it was almost too distracting. I now have a deep respect for inks that have a presence but do not overpower the writing itself. The reviewed ink, like Air Corp Blue Black, has a vintage feel, as well, which I like more as I begin to enjoy vintage pens.

Still, Florida Blue will always be welcome for its good behavior and good results, despite the fact that a spilled glass of lemonade would wipe out anything I write in that otherwise excellent Waterman ink.

Edited by januaryman, 16 July 2012 - 12:08.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#11 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:04

I have the original recipe of Upper Ghanges, which I think is somewhat darker
than this brew.
Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#12 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,917 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2012 - 23:18

I hope someone has the old version and can do a back to back. I fell in love with pictures of the old UGB, so if it's changed too much I don't know if I'll like it. Gotta try it I guess.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#13 OPG4711

OPG4711

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 16:42

I have one of the old 1oz bottles that I'm less than thrilled with. If someone wants to do a Compare/Contrast, feel free to contact me.
- OPG4711

#14 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2012 - 19:55

I just received a new bottle yesterday. I guess I see it as in the same category as the 1oz bulletproof inks. My wet-writing Konrad medium shows only a little shading and a color that is lighter and bluer than Bad Blue Heron or Bad Belted Kingfisher but reminiscent of them. I did get the sky blue with shading when I wrote the ink's name on its box, but my writing sample below doesn't look like that. I never had the older iteration, but perhaps it has not been changed very much.

Scan
Picture

Edited by mhosea, 06 August 2012 - 06:17.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Sponsored Content

|