Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock Limited Edition

ianmedium

Well. I thought it was time to do a review of this pen now that I have had it almost a month.

The Packaging:

Firstly, probably the least important part of a pen.. The packaging! I have to say you can see where some of the money goes with this pen when looking at the box(s) it comes in. First a white card sleeve, then a beautiful black cardboard sleeve which has the famous Hitchcock self portrait found on the nib this time outlined in red. Once this is removed one finds a black heavy box with yet again the red Hitchcock self portrait.

On the front of the box is a silver plaque on which is engraved amongst other things the limited edition number, in my case 2949/3000. Judging by the weight I would say the box is made from wood then covered in a sort of rubberized coating which feels wonderful.

Open the box and one is greeted with an alcantara suede finish, the pen and a film canister. Inside the canister is a booklet of famous quotes from his movies. Underneath all that is a beautiful booklet describing Hitchcock, the pen and information on filling the pen, care and also the warranty card. Phew! Some packaging! Here are a few pictures to give you an idea before I move on the the pen... In honour of the master I will keep you in suspense.. It's worth the wait!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010252.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010255.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010254.jpg

The Body: (in the library??)

OK, on to the pen! I am really fortunate in that I own some really lovely pens, wonderful fit and finish on all of them but I have to say that the Hitchcock is ahead of them all by a country mile! I think rather than it being the materials used (though they are exquisite combining Sterling silver and deep, rich resins, 18k palladium plated gold) it is the attention to detail in using those materials that really raises this pen above the rest.

The resin of the body is immaculately presented, the engraving is almost razor sharp and the way they have alternated the base colour so that when one twirls the pen you get a vertigo effect that is quite profound. That same engraving ensures this pen is secure to hold when writing.. And yes, this pen is made for writing not displaying, more of which later!

All the metal on the pen is the very highest quality 925 Stirling silver, all except the clip which is indeed as it says on it, Stainless steel, see, attention to detail, just like a real knife!

I have the same number Stirling silver on my Montegrappa but for some reason the silver on the Hitchcock feels more lustrous and deep, it feels more like an heirloom piece of silver from Aspreys rather than Sears or Argos! The engraving on the silver cannot be faulted and the finish at the base of the engraving as a lovely sand cast texture to it. From the hash marks to note how many movies Hitchcock made on the piston cap to the production notes from Psycho engraved on the barrel and cap bad to the wonderful font used for the words 'Stainless Steel' on the clip the quality of craftsmanship is of the highest.

The section, made of Silver is smooth with a small, comfortable ridge at the end. I have experienced no issues with slippage on this shiny surface, even on hot days. The piston knob is just a work of art, dare I say it is sexy in shape! It looks like they took liquid silver, let it fall and then cast that fall. The action of the knob is super smooth and it feels like a piece of quality engineering in action.

Here are some pictures to show off the details I mentioned above.. Still to come the nib and writing experience.. Hmm Owning a Hitchcock I think has given me some of the masters techniques of suspense!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010225.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010242.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010238.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010234.jpg

The Nib:

Now to the good stuff! Quite simply this is the finest writing nib I have experienced to date! It has the ability to combine buttery smoothness with just enough feel to keep things interesting. It has no italic or stub grind, it is indeed.. just a medium nib.. But oh what a medium nib!

I tell you, if all medium nibs wrote as well as this, if they all involved the writer of that nib with the same level of passion and interest as this one does then medium nibs would no longer be a maligned species that they seem to be in fountainpendom!

There is a spring in the nib which ensures that an ink which is capable of shading will truly shine with this nib. The ink flow is just about perfect, neither too wet or too dry, just spot on. The finish of this nib in terms of shape and engraving is also top tier. Though a simple nib in terms of adornments what there is has been beautifully executed and just looks wonderful. I wish I could get a good shot of the nib but it is so hard as the quality of polishing is such that the finish is mirror.

When one starts to write with this nib one just does not want to put it down! Seriously,

there have been times where I have run out of words to write so just invent things so that I can keep writing, it really is that good!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010244.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010187.jpg

To sum up

I really feel Mont Blanc put a lot of love into making this pen, I also feel that this pen really shows Mont Blanc have not forgotten their roots, that they are a pen maker first and foremost.

This pen I feel puts to rest the internet scuttlebutt that Mont Blanc are not interested in pens anymore. Honestly, You can feel the passion of the designers and craftsmen and women who put this pen together. This pen has soul and it is more than the sum of it's parts.. Very much like Mr Hitchcock's movies!

Edited by ianmedium

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daoud62

• ianmedium

• NeelsK

• adamselene

Ian,

Gorgeous pen!

What's it size relative to a 146 or 149? Do write with it unposted or posted?

And finally, isn't blood red the ink color for this pen? :D

Thanks so much! As you can tell I am loving writing with this one! Your right, blood red is the colour and it is a beautiful shade but I think the blue goes with it as well eh :)

As to size it is 146 size but a great deal heavier due to the silver hard wear. As for posting it is not possible with this one but to be honest I have fairly small hands so it is not an issue.

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

since it says stainless steel on the clip, a layman may think the pen is made of it unless it says silver somewhere else.

enjoy your pen.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Dear Ian,

Thanks for a fantastic review.

As a long-time admirer of Hitchcock and his films, I purchased the pen sometime in April from the Dubai Mall boutique. I have to tell you that I was a little concerned about spending so much for a pen, but I agree with you that the experience of holding this pen is second to none. It is like a more substantial, artistic, ergonomic 149, and the vertigo effect on the barrel is mesmerizing.

That being said, the writing experience was less than ideal from the beginning. I tried it with Hitchcock ink, and it skipped routinely and badly on Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Moreover, the Medium nib seemed more like a Medium-Broad. I tried Diamine Oxblood as well...same thing. Exasperated, I took the pen back to the boutique and there, in front of the manager and the sales assistant, we filled the pen with Midnight Blue, Mystery Black, Hitchcock and Lavender Purple. No matter which ink it had, the pen skipped and skipped and skipped. As a result, they sent it back to Hamburg to check the feed and to replace the nib with a Fine.

That was exactly 2 months ago...I'm still waiting for news. I am less than happy. A brand new pen that cost nearly US$3,900 (no discounts here) and I haven't used it for more than a few days. Perhaps Montblanc needs to pay a bit more attention to quality control on its LE pens.

Continue to enjoy it.

Edited by daoud62

The body of the pen looks fantastic! I love the pattern of the resin

Thanks for the pictures and review!

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

since it says stainless steel on the clip, a layman may think the pen is made of it unless it says silver somewhere else.

enjoy your pen.

rgds.

krishna.

This is true Krishna. I just recently purchased a new pen case and I think the dyes in it are off gassing still. This has had a most unusual effect as it speeds up the tarnishing of the silver. Though as with all things in life there is the balance and that was that it confirmed to me that the only metal not silver is the clip which did not tarnish! The only place that has the Hallmark is the top cap band. It is the same with my Montegrappa, just marked in one place but all the metal is silver.

Dear Ian,

Thanks for a fantastic review.

As a long-time admirer of Hitchcock and his films, I purchased the pen sometime in April from the Dubai Mall boutique. I have to tell you that I was a little concerned about spending so much for a pen, but I agree with you that the experience of holding this pen is second to none. It is like a more substantial, artistic, ergonomic 149, and the vertigo effect on the barrel is mesmerizing.

That being said, the writing experience was less than ideal from the beginning. I tried it with Hitchcock ink, and it skipped routinely and badly on Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Moreover, the Medium nib seemed more like a Medium-Broad. I tried Diamine Oxblood as well...same thing. Exasperated, I took the pen back to the boutique and there, in front of the manager and the sales assistant, we filled the pen with Midnight Blue, Mystery Black, Hitchcock and Lavender Purple. No matter which ink it had, the pen skipped and skipped and skipped. As a result, they sent it back to Hamburg to check the feed and to replace the nib with a Fine.

That was exactly 2 months ago...I'm still waiting for news. I am less than happy. A brand new pen that cost nearly US$3,900 (no discounts here) and I haven't used it for more than a few days. Perhaps Montblanc needs to pay a bit more attention to quality control on its LE pens.

Continue to enjoy it.

Oh daoud, I am so sorry to hear of the troubles your experiencing. I really hope that the pen comes back and writes as well as mine does. As is my want I usually flush a new pen with a mild soapy solution so as to remove any traces of oils that may have occurred through manufacturing. With this pen my excitement was such that I forgot to do that and just filled it with the Hitchcock red. I am happy to report that it lays down a lovely line, has never skipped and has just about the most perfect ink flow one could wish. I truly hope your pen returns and performs the same way!

As to the nib. I wonder if this is more to do with each nib being hand ground? I would say mine is a true medium but like your Hitchcock, my 149 though a medium writes like a medium/broad

Edited by ianmedium

All the best.

Ian

If one ignores the price, the pen is amazingly beautiful. Ok, it's beautiful regardless of price, but placing something so far beyond one's budget for a single pen makes it difficult to say how beautiful it is.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Oh daoud, I am so sorry to hear of the troubles your experiencing. I really hope that the pen comes back and writes as well as mine does. As is my want I usually flush a new pen with a mild soapy solution so as to remove any traces of oils that may have occurred through manufacturing. With this pen my excitement was such that I forgot to do that and just filled it with the Hitchcock red. I am happy to report that it lays down a lovely line, has never skipped and has just about the most perfect ink flow one could wish. I truly hope your pen returns and performs the same way!

As to the nib. I wonder if this is more to do with each nib being hand ground? I would say mine is a true medium but like your Hitchcock, my 149 though a medium writes like a medium/broad

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your comments. I did flush the pen out the first day, but it made no difference. I, too, hope the pen comes back soon, because I'm beginning to lose patience. Mine is number 552/3000, by the way. I note that yours was one of the last ones produced. Maybe they were still practicing on mine!! :roflmho: :roflmho:

I have two 149s, and one of them has never given me a single day's problem; the other had a nib replacement, but since then, it's been wonderful.

What do you think of the Hitchcock ink? I think it's a bit dry, but I tried it the other day in my Kafka pen, and it wrote very nicely...it looks just like fresh blood.

David

If one ignores the price, the pen is amazingly beautiful. Ok, it's beautiful regardless of price, but placing something so far beyond one's budget for a single pen makes it difficult to say how beautiful it is.

In retrospect, I agree with you. I will never again buy a pen for this amount of money (famous last words...)...

In retrospect, I agree with you. I will never again buy a pen for this amount of money (famous last words...)...

HA!! Yes, famous last words :roflmho: I said the same after buying my AH. And I stuck to cheaper pens. But then the prices started creeping up again as I fell in love with Nakaya's pens.

So many pens, so little time :gaah:

Nice pen and review, thanks for sharing. I had a chance to buy one at wholesale cost, but even that was too much. I'm sure the Hitchcock estate gets a nice percentage. Enjoy your pen!

I just got a response from the MB boutique to my inquiry about when my Hitchcock will be returned to me without the skipping problem and with a Fine nib. I received no clear answers, but lots of excuses. It's been 2 months!!!! I'm beginning to regret this purchase...

Thanks for the close-ups of the body. The detailing is difficult to appreciate in standard catalog/press pictures.

Thanks for the close-ups of the body. The detailing is difficult to appreciate in standard catalog/press pictures.

Your welcome. This is one of those things that stands up to inspection with a loupe as the details are so well executed I feel.

David, I really hope that when your pen does eventually return the wait will have been worth the wait for you.

All the best.

Ian

I was looking at a Hitchcock this afternoon at the local MB Boutique. It really is gorgeous, especially the engraving and lacquer work on the cap and barrel. Sadly, it's also well above my budget.

As for size, I believe the section is slighly larger than a 146, but still significantly thinner than a 149. However, with the bulged shape of the body it's maximum diameter may well be approaching 149 dimensions.

Your welcome. This is one of those things that stands up to inspection with a loupe as the details are so well executed I feel.

David, I really hope that when your pen does eventually return the wait will have been worth the wait for you.

Thanks a lot, Ian! I will keep you all posted.

What Nakaya do you own? I am seriously thinking of getting the Decapod, or the twist version of it.

HA!! Yes, famous last words :roflmho: I said the same after buying my AH. And I stuck to cheaper pens. But then the prices started creeping up again as I fell in love with Nakaya's pens.

So many pens, so little time :gaah: