Hello from Folsom California

Penchaser

I have been collecting pens for approximately 10 years and have a pretty eclectic collection of about 75 pens. My favorite part of this hobby is finding pens in the wild at rediculously low prices and having them repaired to almost brand new condition. I spend many hours hunting but have come across several fabulous finds including a Conklin Endura Senior in blue marble for $15.

Anyone have any interesting stories about finding pens in the wild in unusual places?

Bob

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penchaser

• Maja

• KendallJ

• Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Denis Richard

Welcome to FPN, fellow Northern Californian :)

I haven't been lucky with finding pens in the wild. I usually find things such as a poor beat up desk pen for $125... :blink:

I was going to ask where your hot spots are, but something tells me that you won't say :lol:

Enjoy the forums !

Denis.

Hello Bob and welcome to FPN :D

Small world: I have cousins who live in Galt :) We've visited them several times but I wasn't into pen collecting at the time so I have no tips for good places to find pens in the wild around Sacramento, sorry.

I am sure some other FPNers have fascinating stories about valuable pens that they've found for a pittance, but I don't really have anything of note, really.

I did find a lovely coral Wahl ringtop pencil (in great shape) for $12 Canadian ($9 USD) in a local antique store. I happened to have purchased its corresponding fountain pen (also a ringtop) several months earlier so I was fortunate to have found a matching pencil. I don't know how much the pencil is worth, but my local pen collector friends say I did well. More recently, I did find a Lamy CP1 FP (retail value $56 USD) for $3.50 Canadian and it looks like new old stock...Oh, my Mom recently found a Rotring Core FP in very good shape for 25 cents at a thrift store :D

Pen Chaser Welcome!

My best sumgai is a Parker Duofold "Striper" that my mom purchased for me at a flea market. $9! Cleaned up to a great looking pen.

Of course then I dropped it 2 weeks later... Oh wait, that story goes into the "stupid pen tricks thread". ;)

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Greetings Penchaser Bob!

I don't get the chance to hunt down pens in the wild where I am (near Houston, TX) so no good stories. My daughter did find a $6 Snorkel in Dallas.

75 pens - that's pretty impressive, IMO. I have told myself I'd never need/want more than about 20 and while that remains true, I've managed to acquire more than that (many as gifts). If the collection ever approaches 75, I believe I'll have to make some serious decisions about culling the herd.

anyway - welcome again and look forward to hearing more of your stories.

best

KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi Bob,

Welcome to this [leasant mad house, called FPN.

My best sumgai story was a $18 "brown waterman" which turned out to be a no 52 woodgrain with very flexy nib, after a little cleaning and resaccing :D.

Other than flex nib pens, I am not really into vintage pens, I prefer moderns because of their safer ink feed systems... :D

Anyway, quite a collection you have! I don't think I expect to get there soon myself, but then, I've amassed well over 20 pens over the last 2 years alone, so who knows :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Bob - Welcome to FPN!

I have had people tell me that I am a contender for the Sumgai title but after hearing tales from other folks about their finds I don't think I even come close.

Still, here are a few of the nearly mint (and fairly valuable) pens I have found in the wild in the past couple of years...

Waterman 7 Emerald Ray w/ red #7 nib: $40.00

Waterman 511 w #5 flex nib: $2.80

Waterman 14 ED MHR: $24.00 (E-bay)

Waterman 52 Ripple w/ #2 flex: $24.00

Parker Modernistic Blue Duofold: $18.00

CS 84 in emerald: $5.00

Enjoy your time here in the asylum.

:lol:

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Thanks for all of greetings. I can see that this is a very friendly place to hang out and talk about our favorite topic. With regard to finding pens in the wild, I have found out that persistence counts. I might go to an antique store 7 or 8 times and just when I am ready to give up I come across something really neat. My last great find was a Pelikan 100N that I got for $25. The pen was priced at $40 as I recall but I spent some time checking it out and the sales lady kept bringing the price down. Hell, at $40 it was a steal. Just had it fixed up and the best guess is that it would now bring about $250 - $300 if I were to put it up for sale. I don't know if I enjoy the hunting part or owning part more. One thing I do know, most antique dealers do not have a clue how to price pens. Most times they overprice them, but then sometimes you just get lucky.