The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Prera - M Nib

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 21:00

FULL REVIEW WITH PICTURES AT MY BLOG, HERE.

This really is a pen Iíve had my eye on for a long time, but Iíd always hesitated to take the plunge. When it comes to fountain pens, Iím generally of the opinion that wetter/broader is better. Having recently tinkered with many of my own nibs, I was lacking pens that would play well with crappy paper. In other words, I needed a more narrow, drier nib, but I didnít want to sacrifice a smooth ride. Luckily for me, the Pilot Prera delivers.

Overall:

This is a nice pen. Itís small and light, but it doesnít feel totally cheap. If a TWSBI 540 were a tank, this would be Toyota of some sort, but that doesnít mean it canít hold its own. It feels cheaper or less sturdy than other pens of the same price point (around $55 US), but feels well made enough that I donít think it needs special care. The lid snaps shut with a very satisfying click, and the clip seems solid. The supplied converter (hooray for that!!!) looks to have a miniscule capacity, so I just refilled an empty cart I had for my Pilot Plumix.

The nib:

Itís a ďMediumĒ by Japanese/Asian standards, which means itís more like a Western ďFineĒÖ Itís also darn smooth for such a fine nib. It doesnít disappoint, and Iím so very glad. Itís wet enough to let shading inks do their thing, but not so much that I would call it a ďfirehose.Ē I think that this pens manages to successfully walk the tight rope between (bleep)-paper friendly and smooth-nib approved. Of course, we all know much of that depends on other factors, like the ink.

Size/Weight:

Itís small, but not to the point of being impractical. Think of the typical ďoh itís so cute and littleĒ appeal, but without losing function. Itís very lightweight, and I think it would make a good purse pen, or planner pen. I like that this is not a thin pen, which one often finds with smaller offerings. Kudos to Pilot for keeping a practical circumference.

Verdict and final words:

If this pen serves me well in the long run, Iíd really like to get some of the solid color models, which I actually prefer the look of. If you want a cute, narrow nibbed but nice pen, consider this one.

This pen came from Amazon (via Marketfair Stationery, aka Goldspot Pens). The shipping was slow due to an ďinventory discrepancyĒÖ but in the end it got here, so I canít whinge too much.

Lastly, the procurement of this pen was due to a birthday gift card, from a very special friend. Gratitude and thanks to her, I totally love it!!!

Edited by shaylenwilliams, 12 July 2012 - 21:01.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

Sponsored Content

#2 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2012 - 21:12

Nice review! I have also had my eyes on some of the solid color Preras (gray and ivory) - I think those come with a Con-20 instead of a Con-50.
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#3 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2012 - 23:58

I love the solid color Prera's, and have all colors. I love the way they write-both fine and medium nibs. I have one clear one with blue ends, but I find the non-transparent inner cap gets in the way of its looks.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#4 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:15

I love the solid color Prera's, and have all colors. I love the way they write-both fine and medium nibs. I have one clear one with blue ends, but I find the non-transparent inner cap gets in the way of its looks.

I agree with you. On the other hand, it will (hopefully) keep me from obsessively using a q-tip to swab out any ink dots that may appear up in there. With the way the cap closure almost seems vacuum sealed, I'd say they'd be bound to happen.
The whitish cap liner does kind of continue that etched glass look from the branding on around the cap band, so I can kind of get into it, but I do feel it breaks up the overall look of the pen being a demonstrator.

I'd initially been drooling over the ivory solid color, but since I purchased through Amazon, the Demos were pretty much the only option. I thought I also remembered hearing somewhere that the newer ones had been improved a bit (maybe just with the converter offering?), so that's a bonus too.

I've seen this pen listed for an MSRP of $70, and I personally don't think it's worth that much. The $55 is just about the top of the line, IMHO. At the older pricing which was nearer to $40, I'd say it's a very good value, provided quality was the same as what I've experienced.
Basically, if you're well aware of what you're getting in terms of size, weight, and Asian vs. Western nib width, the Prera will not let you down.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#5 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 22:21

Nice review - I'm a big fan of Preras, but unfortunately my latest, of three, has a real nail of a nib that is nowhere near as nice to write with as the others. It seems to be improving with use, but in any case it will stay with me as it's sooo pretty - it's an orange demo.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#6 mik86

mik86

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:06

This is the first pen i got for my GF. She loved how fine the japanese fine nib was, and that it was clear, and had obvious build quality. However, she dropped the cap and it cracked (cosmetic damage only). It is a good size for her smallish hands.

Sponsored Content

|