Faber-Castell Ambition Pearwood Ef

gf1911

Great review, it was particularly useful to realize one holds it by the wooden body and not the tiny section.... I'd like to ask if the wood has stained with use, and if you don't find it too difficult to draw ink from a bottle without staining the wood...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gf1911

• terminal

• pecolli

• 51ISH

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, it was particularly useful to realize one holds it by the wooden body and not the tiny section.... I'd like to ask if the wood has stained with use, and if you don't find it too difficult to draw ink from a bottle without staining the wood...

I wasn't going to respond, since mine isn't the wooden bodied one (I have the rhombus resin variety) and I can only give you a partial answer, but no-one else has answered yet. Have a look at the 7th photo in the review and you'll realise why you don't get staining on the wood from filling the converter - the "section" is just that little bit of metal - the wood goes nowhere near the ink, so as long as you wash your (possibly) inky fingers thoroughly after filling there won't be a problem due to ink, at least.

I have a cedarwood version of the FC Basic (as a rollerball - long discontinued) and that hasn't discoloured significantly over the 6 or 7 years I've had it, but I can't give you a definitive answer about the stainproofness (?!?) or otherwise of the pearwood here from sources other than ink.

I wasn't going to respond, since mine isn't the wooden bodied one (I have the rhombus resin variety) and I can only give you a partial answer, but no-one else has answered yet. Have a look at the 7th photo in the review and you'll realise why you don't get staining on the wood from filling the converter - the "section" is just that little bit of metal - the wood goes nowhere near the ink, so as long as you wash your (possibly) inky fingers thoroughly after filling there won't be a problem due to ink, at least.

I have a cedarwood version of the FC Basic (as a rollerball - long discontinued) and that hasn't discoloured significantly over the 6 or 7 years I've had it, but I can't give you a definitive answer about the stainproofness (?!?) or otherwise of the pearwood here from sources other than ink.

Thank you!!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sheesh...now I want one... :rolleyes:. I have a Loom whose nib possesses the same characteristics, seems to be very smooth but with tooth or feedback.

Edited by Edwaroth

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the original review, gf1911, and everyone else who contributed! I'm a new member as you can see from my posts total, and came across the network by chance when researching for a new pen. This review tipped the balance and I got a pearwood Ambition, Fine nib, arrived a week ago. It came in the plastic case which has been mentioned before, which was good protection if a bit clunky, but as I plan to use the pen regularly, it probably won't see the inside of the case again!

I've always used fountain pens, and I needed to replace my current regular, a Parker Vector now about 20 years old, the “premium” version with blue matt body, black section, gold trim and a medium nib which has worn to either B or EB. Wonderful, simple, bombproof pen, flushed with cold water every couple of years as the only maintenance, but now the nib is wearing and inkflow increasing, so it writes large and wet, shame to lose it!

The Ambition's great. I like a solid pen, this feels solid and the grip on the wood is ideal. Inkflow was a bit jumpy at first, but emptying it and refilling, using the converter (another part that just feels “right”) and now inkflow is spot-on (sorry!), no jumps, not too wet or too dry. The wood is a bit darker that gf1911's photos suggest on my computer screen, but still a pleasing gingery-brown. And the shiny bits are high-quality-feeling chrome and a lovely-looking steel nib

I use pens unposted, probably from experience of caps falling off when posted? The Ambition is heavier than other pens, but I like that, and its balance is better unposted, but for posters the cap clips very positively to the end of the barrel, so even though the end chromed part of the barrel is only 8mm long it's rock solid when posted. The grip on the wood is excellent, slightly rough but not uncomfortable in any way.

The Fine nib is good for me, I think it's a little wider than some brands, about halfway between F and M. It's a good balance between flexible and rigid, writing with no visible flex but enough give to feel right when writing.

My ONLY criticism so far is that the cap clips on very firmly, and needs a fair bit of force to push it home and remove it – significantly more than the posting clip. I hope this will ease after a couple more weeks, otherwise I may try some fine emery paper on the black plastic collar between the section and the nib, which is more prominent than the equivalent ridge at the end of the barrel (as gf1911's photos also show). Anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, I would say this is a very good pen, feels solid, finish is excellent, writes well and excellent value (I paid £61).

As I said, thanks for the original review plus comments, hope I can help others make a choice!

Welcome! Sounds like a great pen... this thread bump reminds me I wanted to get one...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a quick progress report. The Ambition (pearwood, Fine) is running very well, the only weak point is when writing on poor quality paper where there is predictably sometimes some bleeding - I have to keep the nib moving when doing the crossword! Otherwise, well pleased.

To echo Geordielass, you fill it with the wood barrel off the pen; just a dab with tissue on the section when it's full (only one cycle of the piston, down and up) is enough to clean it. Not got any ink on the wood yet. I hold it naturally by the wood barrel, it is very tactile, gives really good grip without any roughness on the fingers, .

I got the Fine nib, although I usually use Medium. I think it's a bit broader than some Fines, it suits me well after a short period of adjustment. Not a lot of feedback, but some, and right for me.

It feels solid and quality - I use it unposted and the balance is good. I still find it needs a very firm pull/push to remove the cap - it seems a bit easier so I'll let it bed in for a few more weeks before doing anything to it!

To summarize, good pen, feels solid and quality, good writing. I'm well pleased and don't regret buying it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought an Ambition in coconut.

gf1911 is wrong, paying the slight extra for coconut is definitely worth it, its much nicer.

I am very impressed with the nib quality. The medium nib is very, very smooth, though broader than many of my other mediums.

very good value pen.