Depository Of Handwriting And Calligraphy Styles and Discussion

caliken

That was the version that I learned in the late 50's and early 60's with the Palmer Method.

I included it because it was part of the original alphabet, but it does look exactly like the numeral 2 and has been largely abandoned. I'm surprised that it was still being taught as late as 1960.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• WestLothian

• smk

• tdzb36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was the version that I learned in the late 50's and early 60's with the Palmer Method.

I included it because it was part of the original alphabet, but it does look exactly like the numeral 2 and has been largely abandoned. I'm surprised that it was still being taught as late as 1960.

Ken

It was in the parochial school system in NYC. I personally never liked it and switched to the O with a tail as soon as I left elementary school.

I'm surprised that it was still being taught as late as 1960.

Though I think I learned D'Nealian instead of Palmer, that was the sort of Q I was taught around 1980. To my recollection, no one actually used it when not required to.

Caliken, thank you very much for putting in the effort to make the Depository available. I am enjoying it a great deal, to admire, and to poach letter forms to spruce up my own, non-calligraphic handwriting. I never realized how appealing I find unical.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

Caliken, thank you very much for putting in the effort to make the Depository available. I am enjoying it a great deal, to admire, and to poach letter forms to spruce up my own, non-calligraphic handwriting. I never realized how appealing I find unical.

Thank you very much HildyZ. That's exactly the reaction I was hoping for! :thumbup:

We're off to a good start on the 'Depository of Handwriting and Calligraphy Styles' thread.

Already posted are -

English Roundhand (Copperplate) #2

Italic #4

Uncial #6

Marking Alphabet #8

Spencerian #10

:clap1:

Maybe a stupid question but on the Roundhand - is the capital Q complete?

It's not a stupid question; it does look a bit strange today, but that is the early version of the letter. It does look like the numeral 2, and for that reason, I sometimes use the letter O with a short tail.

Ken

My Universal Penman arrived yesterday (on your recomendation) ans going through it I see a lot of those 'Q's'.

And a lot of other :puddle: stuff too! :thumbup:

Post #11 - is that all with the Hunt 101?

By the way, Scribblers are having a special on Higginson ink at the moment

My Universal Penman arrived yesterday (on your recomendation) and going through it I see a lot of those 'Q's'.

And a lot of other :puddle: stuff too! :thumbup:

I envy you.....reading it for the first time!

Ken

Blackletter Rotunda #30

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Rotundaalphabet500.jpg

Edited by HDoug

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Rotundatext500.jpg Edited by HDoug

Posts 10 and 11 (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/225300-depository-of-handwriting-and-calligraphy-styles/page__view__findpost__p__2402474):

Spencerian Script was devised by Platt R Spencer after whom it was named.

For extensive information on the style, go to www.iampeth .com

Post #10 was written with a Hunt 101 nib in an oblique holder with Iron Gall ink.

This example was written with Higgins Eternal ink. The image has been enlarged for clarity.

What is normally the size of those letters? How small can Spencerian get before it loses its characteristics?

Would it be feasible to use Spencerian strokes with a #2 pencil on college-ruled paper and fit a reasonable amount of words on a line? I'm considering adopting Spencerian as my handwriting. I am aware there would be some loss of line variation.

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

quote name='Andrew H' timestamp='1342229738' post='2403269']

What is normally the size of those letters? How small can Spencerian get before it loses its characteristics?

Would it be feasible to use Spencerian strokes with a #2 pencil on college-ruled paper and fit a reasonable amount of words on a line? I'm considering adopting Spencerian as my handwriting. I am aware there would be some loss of line variation.

Spencerian Script is often written very small. Historically, 1.5mm x height wasn't uncommon.

'Business Writing' derived from Spencerian Script, and as the monoline version, is a beautiful writing style in its own right. It's ideal for handwriting with a pencil. Here's a small example which I wrote with a normal, round- tipped fountain pen. If you want to see this script at its very best, look for 'Modern Business Penmanship' by E C Mills on the www.iampeth.com site.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/BusinessWriting2600.jpg

Edited by caliken

Post #11 - is that all with the Hunt 101?

The text in post #11 was written a while ago, and I have no record of the materials I used. The nib was probably a Gillott 303 or a Leonardt Principal EF and the ink would have been Higgins Eternal.

I probably used a Hunt 101 for the capital 'H' with its large swell.

Ken

Salman,

Gothic Batarde #14

Other than your Copperplate, this is the first example I've seen of your writing, and very attractive it is too!

I like the way you've used the natural shading to best advantage. I tend to go for solid colour or black and this makes a nice change.

Ken

Thank you Ken. I had not used this hand in a while and wasn't sure if it was up to the standard.

I think a solid black ink is better suited for exemplars so it lets one focus on the letters rather than add 'style' that could distract. The first example was done with a fountain pen with Pelikan Brilliant Black ink, it looks solid black on paper but the scanner shows that its not as solid as one would like :-) The second example is done with India ink that wasn't cooperating so I added a bit of water - the resulting shading was interesting enough that I decided to use it for the sample.

Salman

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Kaufmanntext600.jpg

This is a handwritten version of the monoline font 'Kaufmann'.

I wrote the alphabet in monoline in post #16 but chose to write this example with an edged nib. I think that both work well and are suitable for a handwriting style.

Post #16 was written with a Pelikan fountain pen fitted with a round-tipped fine nib and this example, with a Manuscript fountain pen fitted with a medium, edged nib.

Edited by HDoug