How Much Discount Should Fpn Members Receive?

isellpens

149 members have voted

1. 1. How much discount should FPN receive?

• 5% Discount
    • 10% Discount
    • 15% Discount
    • Forget the Discount just the best price
    • Don't care at all for a discounts

When we first started our business, we built our relationships through FPN - that's how we learned not just what people wanted to buy, but we learned a lot from everyone's expertise! We knew nothing about fountain pens a few years ago. This community was so great for us, so we offered a 5% discount to FPN members as a thanks for the support and helping us get up on our feet. It's a continuing small way for us to say thanks for the good word spread about us here, I consider the loss to be like part of our marketing budget, I guess!

As for what percentage discount is acceptable, or subsidizing shipping costs into product prices.... most pens are already discounted 20% off list price, on average, and ink/notebooks are just plain heavy, so there's only so much wiggle room to discount further or to absorb shipping prices, or whatever the case may be. It's a fine balance that a retailer has to walk. And our distributors/manufacturers have certain prices that they want us to sell at, which we always try to honor.

But anyways, I agree with the general consensus here - I don't want to see our wonderful industry be constantly brought down by persistent discounting, it hurts everyone, especially us "little guys" trying to stay in business. It's not about greed for us, we need to make some money to survive in the long run, to pay employees and/or support our families. For real, Brian and I haven't taken a vacation in a long time! Someday... :roflmho:

I think having fair/competitive prices, reasonable shipping, and kickbutt customer service is the way to go. Bottom line. Us retailers need to work together to not undercut each other but to continue to promote the hobby. I honestly, truly believe that. Reminds me of a blog post I saw last week. :thumbup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• isellpens

• jar

• aschup

• crazystan

If there is a way to continue to offer say a 5% discount to FPN members and to perhaps defray a certain percentage of shipping for orders over a certain amount, then I believe that is the way to go. Most of my orders in the past have not reached the free shipping, and most in the future probably won't either so I generally compare prices and shipping to get the best total cost, but I only include dealers who have consistently received high marks here or those I have dealt with before.

So, I guess that puts me in the just keep on keeping on group.

BTW: Did I miss any recent updates about the 'new' pen company?

I'd love to see everything remain the way it is. You provide great prices, a large selection, wonderful customer support, and quick, affordable shipping. I've made several purchases from isellpens the past few months and you've been nothing but professional and helpful.

I think the best thing that could happen is a continuance of profitable business for all the reputable retailers out there, even if prices have to go up a few percent until the global economy becomes more friendly to luxury purchases like fountain pens and specialty inks. I'd happily pay $14.00 for a 3oz. bottle of Noodler's of it meant the company could stay afloat and the retailers could stay in business, for example.

I think you've got to offer good prices and great service, that's all you can do and in my experience it's what you do. The real win as everyone says is to keep in business - know lots of independent bookstores in the UK who've discounted themselves out of business. They ignored the USP that they added value by having unique stock (serendipity sales) not the vanilla found in stores today.

Edited by DrRoger

I voted for "Forget the Discount, just give me the best price" option.

Yes, I love getting a 5% FPN discount at GouletPens.com, but that's not why I've shopped there. In fact, each time I've placed an order (3, I think) I've forgotten about the discount until it comes time to add it in at check-out time.

My first pen purchase was at Goulet's. I went there because I saw their name on FPN, read they had a good reputation, and saw that they carried the Noodler's Konrad. I bought the pen and a bottle of black ink.

Then I started noticing Richard Binder's name and "Todd at isellpens.com". I started browsing your sites, too. Still do, mostly just to window shop and make a mental wish list of stuff I can't afford.

When it came time to buy my second pen, a Lamy Safari, I picked your store. The price was great, especially since it included the cartridge converter. Woo-hoo!! While I was there, I also tossed in a Hero 616 just for the fun of it.

Next, I decided I needed more than just black ink. As you know, the Goulets have a great ink sampler selection with reviews, fun software to compare colors, etc. Browsing their site for ink is like being a kid looking through the candy store window. When I bought my samples (two separate orders) I also tossed other things into my virtual shopping cart. I got a Rhodia notepad with the first ink sample order and blotting paper, seyes-ruled paper and syringes with the next.

I think it's those "other things" the ones we don't plan to buy, that add up and make the seller money.

Where will I shop next? That's anyone's guess. It will likely depend on who carries what I want/need at the time and who has the best prices on those things I want/need.

For instance, I noticed that isellpens.com has a great deal on ink samples, and since I've not yet made up my mind which full-size bottle(s) I want to buy, the samples are calling my name. Who knows, while I'm there I might toss in another Chinese pen, or maybe I'll get one of those ink sample vial holders instead. I see that they are on sale for a good price.

In short, I want to support sellers who:

1) have a great reputation

2) offer the best prices on what I need

3) carry a nice, organized, easy to browse selection of paper and other paraphernalia that I can toss into the cart as an afterthought, to convince myself that I'm getting a good deal on the postage price ... and yes, I do watch the postage costs. I'm weird that way. I'll add extras, one at a time and if the shipping price increases, I'll decide what lil' extra needs to come out of my cart.

Edited to add this P.S.

I don't think I'm a typical customer. My finances are somewhat strained at the moment so, for me, cost is a huge factor but it might not be so much for others. I think you need to aim your business practices toward YOUR clientele, the ones who make up the biggest part of your business.

Edited by melissa59

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

I am a valued-customer :thumbup: at La Couronne Du Comte here in Holland and I get 10% on every purchase, and I am very happy with it. :roflmho: :roflmho:

Edited by Soer

Not part of the poll nor discussions but what I like and always visit first will be a section of damaged goods, returns, open boxes, etc.

WestCoastShaving has a section named "Scratch and Dent". I always look in there first.

Plus a section with discontinued items, or combine them with the scratch and dents.

Re the discount, I like your prices as they are but also like getting a periodic notice of a special discount. It prompts me to visit your site. Perhaps offer free or discounted shipping for pens and ink to FPN members for a set period.

Re your site, I think it's a bit cumbersome to navigate. Could you have a more typical separation like "Pens, Inks, Paper" or some such ?

Hex, aka George

I posted for 15% thinking if there is a GST or HST charged it covers tax.

I believe free shipping is more useful. I have been checking intl postage rates and comparing to some of my internet orders and the shipping seems to be giving some merchants a healthy margin too...

When I shop in person for pens I am totally prepared to seek a discount.....I suppose I would haggle a price if I had more time and tenacity. That being said I buy more pens than most in my community. I would say here at FPN is the only place I feel like a newbie who is exposed to serious collectors, shoppers and pen lovers. Thus some loyalty discount to FPN members seems logical marketing versus advertising to other shoppers not interested in pens, inks and higher end stationary. My wife uses a BIC pen and sees no utility to FP's and no amount of marketing or discounts would ever trigger a purchase from her for a FP as an anecdotal example.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I don't look at a discount from a retailer as an entitlement. A retailer offers a discount as an incentive to attract business to their store, online or otherwise. I will likely continue cross-shopping to locate the best service/price ratio. A special discount isn't necessary, it's nice but not needed! :thumbup:

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I don't look at a discount from a retailer as an entitlement. A retailer offers a discount as an incentive to attract business to their store, online or otherwise. I will likely continue cross-shopping to locate the best service/price ratio. A special discount isn't necessary, it's nice but not needed! :thumbup:

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, the 5% off at gouletpens.com doesn't hurt, though it's not the only thing that keeps me shopping there. Same with isellpens.com, I think the only 'discount' I've gotten there was back when it was free shipping on orders over $75. Honestly, the prices are great at both shops, the service is great at both shops, and I definitely feel that staying in business is way more important than shaving a couple of % off here and there.

Maybe have a 5-10% discount for fpn members on certain 'high' value items? That way you don't need to cut into the bottom line on the already thin margins on the lower cost stuff like ink.

Low prices, special offers & promos, free shipping, quantity discounts, and other discounts all play a part in making my orders.

For example: in a recent order to Goulet Pens, I "needed" some ink. When I had everything I "needed" in the basket, I realized I was not far from free shipping. $7.95 for shipping is not unreasonable, but it is about half a bottle of ink in some cases. So, I added another bottle of ink I wanted just to get free shipping. Then, I realized I was just one more bottle away from the 10% quantity discount. That's almost a free bottle of ink. All told, I spent about $20 more because of the incentives.

Another example: I noticed some time back that isellpens.com was offering two bottles of ink with every Pilot Vanishing Point purchase. That offer was enough to get me to pull the trigger on getting the VP.

IMHO, bottom line: offer great prices, great incentives, great customer service, and people like me will keep buying. Whatever you do, please stay in business.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

who doesn't want discount?

-volume discount for 10 or more inks

- offer free shipping on minimum order like:

jetpens - $25

penboutique - $50

others start at $75

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Not part of the poll nor discussions but what I like and always visit first will be a section of damaged goods, returns, open boxes, etc.

WestCoastShaving has a section named "Scratch and Dent". I always look in there first.

Plus a section with discontinued items, or combine them with the scratch and dents.

Re the discount, I like your prices as they are but also like getting a periodic notice of a special discount. It prompts me to visit your site. Perhaps offer free or discounted shipping for pens and ink to FPN members for a set period.

Re your site, I think it's a bit cumbersome to navigate. Could you have a more typical separation like "Pens, Inks, Paper" or some such ?

Excellent suggestions! We are currently building a new site and we expect to launch in August. :thumbup:

If there is a way to continue to offer say a 5% discount to FPN members and to perhaps defray a certain percentage of shipping for orders over a certain amount, then I believe that is the way to go. Most of my orders in the past have not reached the free shipping, and most in the future probably won't either so I generally compare prices and shipping to get the best total cost, but I only include dealers who have consistently received high marks here or those I have dealt with before.

So, I guess that puts me in the just keep on keeping on group.

BTW: Did I miss any recent updates about the 'new' pen company?

That’s possible. No new updates but we are still working on our new pen company .

You know what would be nice? A cumulative discount based on orders over time for FPN members - say I buy three pens, get a discount on no 4 or even, hey, make an offer to all your customers who have spent a certain amount. Actually a 5% discount on a single order probably isn't going to motivate me to buy - but say I get a higher discount after buying a few pens, or I get access to a special closeout sale, that's much more likely to get me to break my pen budget for the month.

Remember though, since we're not all buying MBs and Pelikans and Sailor KOPs, have an offer for those of us buying the Noodlers and Dukes and Jinhaos too. :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

You know what would be nice? A cumulative discount based on orders over time for FPN members - say I buy three pens, get a discount on no 4 or even, hey, make an offer to all your customers who have spent a certain amount. Actually a 5% discount on a single order probably isn't going to motivate me to buy - but say I get a higher discount after buying a few pens, or I get access to a special closeout sale, that's much more likely to get me to break my pen budget for the month.

Remember though, since we're not all buying MBs and Pelikans and Sailor KOPs, have an offer for those of us buying the Noodlers and Dukes and Jinhaos too. :-)

Excellent suggestions and we will sure consider it.

I would like to see a Wish List added. That would require some form of registration. Currently, I can add things to the cart but if I decide not to buy, the cart gets lost.

Sometimes I am just browsing around and see something I like but cannot buy that day. I would like to add it to a Wish List so that when I return on a later day, it is still there. Amazon and JetPens (among others) have Wish Lists as well as Carts.

Regarding the complaints about shipping charges: I do not like shipping charges that are "buried" in the good's price. Rather, shipping charges should reflect the merchant's actual cost. (If I am buying within my own country, why should I pay higher prices to subsidize people who don't do the same?)

Excellent suggestions! We are currently building a new site and we expect to launch in August. :thumbup:

Good to hear! Can't wait to see your new virtual 'digs'...

I love Lamy fountain pens (modern and vintage). I just went to your site and was quite impressed by the prices, options, and addition of the converter (that does come from Lamy direct, as well). My vote is that you keep up the low but fair prices and reduce or eliminate shipping costs after a certain amount. Of course, I wouldn't turn down a FPN discount, but from someone who has been buying (very slowly) Lamy fountain pens since 1995, I love to see independent and caring pen shop owners stay in business.

And if you can sell your product, give discounts or additional items (like ink) for a lower cost, and make your profit...go for it!

I just bookmarked your site.