Ebay And Knock-Offs

terminal

I don't completely understand why eBay allows so many pen knockoffs to be sold through them. Montblanc seems to be epicenter of the fakes.

Does anyone have any idea why it continues? I wonder if it's just too hard to police or something.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• raging.dragon

• airborne18th

• torstar

Now let me think, ah yes $$$$$$$ into the ebay coffers. It's not only pens, it's everything. They care not one hoot about authenticity so long as they get their %.

Sorry but how exactly is eBay to know something is a knockoff?

Edited by jar

http://www.ebay.com/...6#ht_2736wt_956

Pretty obvious knockoff. They aren't even trying.

Note that the word Montblanc is never used in the text, only in the images and that is probably no coincidence.

It makes it harder for ebay to find it, when they search for possible fake Montblancs.

eBay knows, because a lot of us tell them.

It is always iffy if eBay does anything about them.

Why does eBay hide bidders IDs?

Because some of us (use to) know when a shill bidder is stinking up the bids.

eBay is there for the money.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

DO you honestly believe that eBay has the manpower to inspect each and every item put up for bid every day.

And then have people trained in the interpretation of what is a counterfeit by the picture posted.

eBay is run under the concept of Caveat Emptor... Let the buyer beware....

Potential buyers have to report obvious phony or conterfeit good to eBay after which eBay has to take the time to investigate and contact the seller and see what the seller has to say....

Do you expect them to just take the work of a potential buyer who may or may not have the REAL ability to tell a phony from a picture.

Let's be realistic in our expectations of what eBay can actually do with thousands of items being put up for bid every day......

I don't like seeing phony items anymore than anyone else... but if I believe an item is not as it seems I don't bid on it...

Note that the word Montblanc is never used in the text, only in the images and that is probably no coincidence.

It makes it harder for ebay to find it, when they search for possible fake Montblancs.

Actually the pictures say Mont Blanc...which is not the same as Montblanc and could possibly be used as an out... of course the seller being in China should also be a giveaway.

DO you honestly believe that eBay has the manpower to inspect each and every item put up for bid every day.

And then have people trained in the interpretation of what is a counterfeit by the picture posted.

eBay is run under the concept of Caveat Emptor... Let the buyer beware....

Potential buyers have to report obvious phony or conterfeit good to eBay after which eBay has to take the time to investigate and contact the seller and see what the seller has to say....

Do you expect them to just take the work of a potential buyer who may or may not have the REAL ability to tell a phony from a picture.

Let's be realistic in our expectations of what eBay can actually do with thousands of items being put up for bid every day......

I don't like seeing phony items anymore than anyone else... but if I believe an item is not as it seems I don't bid on it...

^ this

I used to work for eBay and we got asked this pretty regularly. eBay just doesn't have the manpower or, in a lot of cases, the domain expertise to just wade in there and take things down. The primary way knockoffs get taken down is through VeRO: http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

IMO, the much bigger problem is frequent scammers (often located in Thailand) who put up real photos of real items taken from previous auctions, sell a bunch of non-existent items in a short amount of time, and then close down the account and abscond with the funds before anyone knows what happened and before the victims/buyers realize they're not receiving their goods. You could just say never buy from anyone in Thailand unless you've dealt with them before, but it seems like it would be just as easy for eBay to implement a system where (for example) people who buy hundreds of $0.01 items with free shipping in the space of 24 hours to inflate their ranking and then list a bunch of high-end luxury goods are automatically subject to some sort of review.

Every time I have reported one of these scammers, eBay either takes too long to act or they close out the specific auction reported without doing anything about the account itself. For example: I reported this guy yesterday. The specific auction I reported was a Louis XIV listing where the serial number was visible. I did some digging and found an older auction with the same serial number. eBay closed down the auction but took no action against the seller or his dozen or so other listings -- all of which ended today within a 20-minute span.

Edited by aschup

For example: I reported this guy yesterday. The specific auction I reported was a Louis XIV listing where the serial number was visible. I did some digging and found an older auction with the same serial number. eBay closed down the auction but took no action against the seller or his dozen or so other listings -- all of which ended today within a 20-minute span.

I guess the 'manpower' argument doesn't really hold water with me. Ok fine, I can't expect them to inspect every single auction, but wouldn't you think that they'd take a second look at a seller like this?

And how is MontBlanc not all over them like white on rice? I'd think MontBlanc would have a part time employee dedicated to this very thing... reporting fakes to eBay

I'm sure there are members who do report counterfeit items, and they get taken down. One of those linked above is no longer there.

What frequently amazes me is that you see fakes listed by sellers who already have multiple negative feedbacks for previously selling fakes. I spotted one recently and he had a ridiculously low feedback percentage, terrible star ratings, all less than 4, and he was still selling fakes. He should already have been suspended for his other misdemeanours, yet he was still up and running and still selling fake items. I don't get that at all.

What frequently amazes me is that you see fakes listed by sellers who already have multiple negative feedbacks for previously selling fakes. I spotted one recently and he had a ridiculously low feedback percentage, terrible star ratings, all less than 4, and he was still selling fakes. He should already have been suspended for his other misdemeanours, yet he was still up and running and still selling fake items. I don't get that at all.

+1

Let the buyer beware.

You aren't getting a Julius II Patron of Art pen for $12.

If you are clueless enough to think you can, we look forward to your presence on next year's Darwin Awards.

Let the buyer beware.

You aren't getting a Julius II Patron of Art pen for $12.

If you are clueless enough to think you can, we look forward to your presence on next year's Darwin Awards.

Mmmmmm... well, it's not quite *that* simple is it? I mean, it's not as though all of the sellers of fakes sell them at 'fake' prices and it's not as though all fakes are of equal quality. I've seen fake Bohemes for *just* the right price to seem like a legit bargain.

"Item 280913218950 is no longer available."

Looks like they found it an whacked it. Ebay forbid selling counterfeit goods; however, they seem to have minimal success in enforcing this rule.

Reading the VeRO pages (thanks Silvermink!), Ebay encourages you to report sellers with fake/counterfeit goods yet at the same time invokes 'Privacy Regulations' to say they can't tell you the resolution of your complaint. I'm sure there's a basis in law but considering how impinged privacy is on the 'net (hello Google) it seems both specious and a bit suspicious. It certainly doesn't do anything to encourage people to file reports, and when the results are as spotty as the ones quoted above not only will people not file reports but they may give up on Ebay altogether.

Rick B.

Reading the VeRO pages (thanks Silvermink!), Ebay encourages you to report sellers with fake/counterfeit goods yet at the same time invokes 'Privacy Regulations' to say they can't tell you the resolution of your complaint. I'm sure there's a basis in law but considering how impinged privacy is on the 'net (hello Google) it seems both specious and a bit suspicious. It certainly doesn't do anything to encourage people to file reports, and when the results are as spotty as the ones quoted above not only will people not file reports but they may give up on Ebay altogether.

I bet Ebay take complaints from Montblanc's legal department more seriously than complaints from you or I.

I thought the trademark/copyright holder had to register with VeRO for it to even make a difference.

Also the "not enough people" excuse is nonesense, since the EU forces ebay to restrict items by country...

With ebay it has always been their legal position that they are just providing the internet real estate and charge a fee for that service.. and they are not a party in the transactions.. And it makes sense from a legal standpoint, but through the years it is harder and harder for Ebay to hide behind it... Since they almost force sellers to use their payment system. ( and the EU and most countries have not allowed ebay to hide behind this legal position ).

From a customer satisfaction point of view this position has destroyed ebay, and it is why Amazon has won the internet retailing war.. I used to be a top level vendor on Amazon until I lost my suppliers, and they are very careful with who they let sell high risk merchandise. I was approached by amazon after they lost the deal with Toys-r-us.. and I used to deal in authentic disney merchandise.. from clothing to toys.. and I had an exclusive on most of my inventory becauase Amazon locks the clothing categories to only invited sellers. They also lock the toy categories during the holiday season.. But my point is that ebay can do anything if they are forced to do it, or want to do it.

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!

VeRO certainly does not work with guitar sales. In particular Gibson.

The largest faker and/or seller of fake Gibson (dhgate) allows payment by Paypal...now who owns Paypal...one guess that's all that is required. They are purchased for $300 (£200) which includes delivery then appear on the bay for £700+. Yes the buyers have had to suffer import duty/vat/handing charges but hey it's still good profit.

Edited by Force