Indian Pens With Flex Nibs

VillersCotterets

Good news.

FPRevolution hints that there is chance it will possible to buy flex nibs that fit many Indian pens (Airmail, Serwex, etc) and many same size Western feeds.

See his Facebook page : https://www.facebook...262024287188455

Please help me make a decision... I often get requests for medium and broad tipped nibs but Indian pens almost always come only in fine. I met today with the owner of the Ambitious company about possibly having medium, broad, and possibly flex nibs made to fit many of our pens. The investment would be pretty substantial so I am weighing the options. Who would be excited about having medium and broad (and maybe flex) point options?

Wow... this is helpful. Sounds like there is more interested in flex than I realized and more interest in medium than broad. Please keep the input coming. I will definitely be taking it into account in my decision!
Edited by VillersCotterets

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kethiemann

• VillersCotterets

• SamCapote

• 79spitfire

Sounds interesting. If the cost is too substantial for one small business to take the risk, maybe he could ask to see if FPN members would subscribe to underwrite some of the initial investment.

ron

Villers, thanks so much for posting this so we can get some input from the FPN community! Long story short I'm considering our first research and development opportunity. I'm interacting with a premium nib manufacturer in Delhi. I say premium because they use legitimate German ball tips and fine manufacturing methods unlike many of the other Chinese and Indian nib manufacturers. They have manufactured nibs for lots of popular brands. In fact one of the owners handed me his S.T. Dupont pen while I was there and they had manufactured the nib that ST Dupont was using on that pen. They also manufactured some of Noodler's nibs. I am definitely planning to place an order for some medium nibs. But I am also strongly considering some flex nibs. The cost is quite a bit higher in terms of both individual nib cost and minimum order quantity but they are willing to work with me to custom make nibs that will fit many of the pens we sell. I have already tested samples with some of the Serwex, Airmail, Camlin, Deccan, and Guider pens with good results. At this point I'm trying to guage if there is enough excitement about flex nibs on Indian pens to warrant the investment. Any thoughts are welcome! I'm also curious to know how much flex folks are looking for. I'm currently testing some semi-flex nibs with great results but am wondering if something with a full flex might be more desirable. Right now I am leaning in the direction of trying it out and taking the risk. Any thoughts?

Being the consumer I just received my first "Indian" pen and it was in a fine nib. If one was available in broad or oblique I would purchase one.

I can not speak for others but most pen companies offer a variety in nibs and it only makes sense that your business would increase.

For flex nibs I only have my Noodlers Ahab and it a great pen. My other flex pens were purchased and flexed by various nibmeisters. I would not be interested in a flex pen at this time just my opinion.

Good Luck in your business.

I am sure you would have a lot of customers if you sold reasonably priced flex nib, even without a pen, for as long they would be more flexible than the Ahab's nib.. Just make sure to list all compatible feeds & pens that your lose nibs can be fitted on.

A suggestion : start a all-or-nothing group buy, similar to Kickstarter.com . Tell FPN members the price you are willing to sell your flex nib and the total minimal quantity for the project to work. Let them reserve their nib.

I am sure you would have a lot of customers if you sold reasonably priced flex nib, even without a pen. Just make sure to list all compatible feeds & pens that your lose nibs can be fitted on.

A suggestion : start a all-or-nothing group buy, similar to Kickstarter.com . Tell FPN members the price you are willing to sell your flex nib and the total minimal quantity for the project to work. Let them reserve their nib.

For the flex nib to work, they would have to have a lot more flex than the Ahab's.

+1

I like the Kickstarter idea.

Edited by Andrew H

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

I personally would love to see new manufactured flex nib pens. I really like to have full flex (like wet noodle or very close to it) in different sizes.

Cheap full flex could go over very well. Noodlers pens are more semiflex, and a bit too fiddly to be that amazing.

Another market you could tap with cheap full flex is artists. For art, we usually use dip pens, which limits ink work to places where you can spread out and get comfortable. A flex pen (with a waterproof ink) would be a godsend to artists who want to do quick sketches in ink. I've found Noodlers Black to work pretty well where I'd usually use India ink. Anyway, I'm sure there are art forums you could try to tap about it.

This sounds like an interesting idea. While your at it, inquire if a feed that buffers a bit better in an eyedropper pen could be made, something the has or uses a collector. I love the concept of an eyedropper type pen, but the temperature swings I have to deal with causes every one (I mean EVERY!) to burp ink at some point, even when nearly full. By contrast, I've not had this with other pens, including A Wality black beauty piston filler pen.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I would be very interested in full flex nibs on pens or loose. While I love my Noodler's pens they just can't compete with my vintage flex pens. But if I could purchase modern full flex nibs at a reasonable price I would probably buy more than I need ;)

I also think the kickstarter idea mentioned above is a smart way to go as you will be able to determine the level of interest.

I would definitely be interested in easy, full flex nibs. Would these be gold or stainless steel? They would have to be significantly more flexible than the Noodler's are however. Ideally they should be able to write without flexing much with low pressure, but not require much additional pressure to reach full flex. In other words, not be so fiddly that it would difficult to avoid flexing when not wanted, but not requiring a lot of pressure to get dramatic shading when it is wanted, and good spring-back so that shading can be controlled. Flexing should not tax the wrist at all.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I'd really love to get some BB, stub or cursive italic nibs for the Indian pens. I tend to use either fine (for note taking and doodling), or cursive italic for 'nice' writing, and I think a lot of the bigger Indian pens would really go well with an italic nib.Of course, give me a reasonably priced B and I can have a go at grinding it myself.

As for flex... I have to learn to use the one I've got (Ahab) first. :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

As for flex... I have to learn to use the one I've got (Ahab) first. :-)

The Ahab is not a true flex, but more like a semi flex. Compared to vintage flex nibs, the Ahab's is difficult to use.

This sounds like an interesting idea. While your at it, inquire if a feed that buffers a bit better in an eyedropper pen could be made, something the has or uses a collector. I love the concept of an eyedropper type pen, but the temperature swings I have to deal with causes every one (I mean EVERY!) to burp ink at some point, even when nearly full. By contrast, I've not had this with other pens, including A Wality black beauty piston filler pen.

+1

I've at times, been disappointed in the feeds in some of my Indian pens and am always looking to swap out the feeds for something better. (In my opinion), its the root of the problem - the feed's failure to constrain an ED pen from burping.

F

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

I agree. Airmail/Wality and other Indian feeds lack lateral fins to compensate for pressure/temperature changes. My guess is they are not needed in very hot climates. When the temperature goes over 26C/80F my Airmail 58SL works perfectly. At lower temperature, I need to keep the barrel full of ink.

Vintage Sheaffer Cartridge pens (and maybe also Nononsense) have feeds that fit the bigger Wality models (71J). Since I swapped the feed on my Airmail 71J, no more ink burps.

I would buy a full flex model in a heartbeat! I hope this project is successful. Best of luck. thumbup.gif

- Rod

+1 on flex! If you think about the success of the Ahab and Konrad, take away any flow/feed issues, I'm sure amount of happy customers is great.

Personally a cheap flex option would finally get me to buy some Indian pens!

Calculate the additional cost and make a pool on FPN!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

If not enough people make their interest known, this project will be cancelled.