Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen

Tumbleweedtoo

A couple of years ago, I bought some inexpensive fountain pens and gave them to some students to stimulate their interest in fountain pens. Some of these less expensive pens disappointed both them and me. After using some expensive (to me) Japanese fountain pens, and finding them to be of a very high quality, I have decided to buy, test, and review some entry level Japanese fountain pens that I feel confident will be of a high enough quality to stimulate the interest of students in fountain pens rather than frustrate them and me after I give them away.

The first entry level, beginner, or student, Japanese fountain pen that I want to review is the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen (which I did not find in the FPN review index). This is the most expensive entry level pen that I have bought so far, which I bought for a little less than $25.00 from Jetpens. If you add a pack of 10 Platinum ink cartridges to the order, you will be able to spend more than $25.00 and benefit from the Jetpens free shipping offer. The pen will also take a proprietary Platinum converter. Currently, a 30 cc bottle of Platinum ink is the same price as a box of 10 Platinum cartridges at Jetpens. The pen comes with one ink cartridge, so the buyer may want to purchase some ink cartridges or a converter and ink when they buy the pen.

Below is a picture of the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen as I received it:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7252/7458782614_90d5b836ed.jpg

2 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

Rather than use the ink cartridge that came with the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen, that had very helpful instructions glued to the cartridge on how to insert the ink cartridge into the pen (see picture below), I chose to use a cartridge from a box of 10 Platinum Blue Black ink cartridges. From past experience, I think to be fair in my review I need to use Platinum ink in a Platinum pen for testing and review. It may not be fair to use a dry or wet ink of another brand and then complain that a pen of another brand writes too dry or too wet when the cause may be the ink of another brand and not the fountain pen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7458782586_6c7b033fda.jpg

3 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

The black Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen arrived quickly and safely wrapped in plastic bubble wrap in a bubble lined brown envelop. (The pen comes in a variety of body colors; including blue, gold, green, pink, red, and violet.) The pen came with the tag attached to the clip. First, I removed the barrel and found the cartridge with instructions glued to it loose inside the barrel. Then, I replaced the barrel and pulled the cap from the barrel, which revealed a black steel nib with a P logo (for Platinum) and an 05 (for Medium) stamped on the nib. (The pen can be bought with a Fine 03 nib or a Medium 05 nib).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7458782546_93ffe9a5bb.jpg

4 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/7458782486_93933e9792.jpg

5 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

I inserted a Blue Black cartridge, which is large and is made of thick plastic (so I could not squeeze the cartridge to help the ink flow into the nib). Then, I wrapped the nib in a tissue and shook the pen three times so the ink would flow into the pen. When I saw the ink in the tissue, I began to write and have included the first words written with the pen in the scanned handwritten review below (which I did first on very old cheap note paper, and then the next day I wrote more on a high quality inkjet copy paper). As you will see from the scans, the ink did not feather on either paper (nor did the ink bleed through either paper). The scans may not show this, but the ink is consistently more blue than black and the same color density from top to bottom of each page. The scanned handwritten reviews should be easily readable below, and they will give the reasons why I recommend this entry level pen at this price point. The pen wrote immediately and perfectly right out of the box with no prepping, and it has never skipped; therefore, based on this experience that I have had with this Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen I can recommend it to students and to give to students.

[Please Note My Error in the handwritten review: The pen is aluminum and not plastic.] When I first used this pen, I thought it was made of plastic (and that is what I wrote in my handwritten review below, but I was wrong!). After writing the handwritten review below, I rechecked my facts and learned from the Jetpens website that the pen is made of aluminum and I confused it with plastic because the pen has “a bright, silky, scratch-resistant anodized coating”! It also has “a specially designed cap which prevents ink from both drying and evaporating even with no use for a whole year.” Both of these facts make the pen even better for student use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7458782462_af35945aa5.jpg

PlatinumPenWritten1 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7113/7458782366_9e8fde66b5.jpg

PlatinumPenWritten2 by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

As an added bonus, I have compared with pictures the Nemosine Singularity fountain pen which I also like (pictured at the top in the picture below) that KrazyIvan has reviewed on FPN with the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen (pictured at the bottom in the picture below).

The Nemosine Singularity feels a little lighter to me and is a little longer when the cap is removed from both pens. The Nemosine Singularity cap is threaded, unlike the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen cap. The Nemosine Singularity has a more attractive nib than the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen. However, I think the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen would be a better entry level, beginner, or student pen because the nib will be much easier to use when changing from using a ballpoint pen than the nib on the Nemosine Singularity, and I think the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen could survive more unintentional abuse (accidents) or loans to inexperienced fountain pen users. Because of the thickness of the aluminum body, I think the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen will be more durable than the Nemosine Singularity. I do like both pens, and I will give both pens away depending on the experience and interest of the recipients. But I can recommend more highly the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen as an entry level, beginner, or student pen.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8015/7458782666_36a375e75d.jpg

1a by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7458782630_32ea07956d.jpg

1b by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

All the Best,

T

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tumbleweedtoo

• pen2paper

• uemuraw

• ladyinthemists

Thanks for the informative review. I enjoyed reading the highly-detailed descriptions that feel like a lab procedure.

This may be my next give-away pen to joyously spread the fountain pen disease.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

Thank you for your review.

I too wondered about the durability of the finish. Having read multiple reviews with photos of the wear on Lamy Al-Star aluminum pens, (with long term use), I opted to stay with the tough Safari ABS bodies. So I expected to find wear and tear marks on the Plaisir aluminium body = None so far, and this pen was used extensively at work under trying circumstances. The bright, almost candy coated finish on the Plaisir seems to have taken this into account, and thus far , as to durability, the finish on mine matches the claim that the pen is designed to continue with a solid flow of ink, after long periods of time.

Additionally, the pen has either a classic appearance, or bright cheery appearance dependent upon color choice.

Then there is that excellent fine point nib.

An excellent review of a very nice pen. Thanks!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Thanks for an excellent, detailed review. I've been keeping a Plaisir in my desk at work for about a month now, as a standby pen for those days when I write my current rotation pen dry or otherwise need to resort to Plan B. In addition to the positive remarks you made, I can say that the Plaisir does seem to write on the first stroke after a week or more of sitting in a drawer. That makes it a much more attractive and heavier alternative to my go-to Pilot V-Pens for this application. One difference I have noticed is that with the converter installed, the Plaisir seems to be sensitive to the shock and motion it gets in my computer case during transit. It secretes good-sized drops of ink into that sealed cap, which then seem to find their way into inappropriate other places. This may be unique to my particular pen, or it may be a weakness of the series. In every other respect I find the Plaisir bulletproof and delightful.

ron

Thank you all very much for the kind replies!

I, too, have read some comments elsewhere about converter problems with this pen, but I have not used a converter with it, preferring the cartridges instead and being able to refill cartridges. Perhaps people do need to be aware of possible converter problem.

I really appreciate all of your comments about the pen not drying out (as advertised), writing at the first stroke, and the lasting quality of the pen finish over time!

A couple of comments I read elsewhere indicated that some people had trouble with ink spraying when they removed the cap. I really think this can happen with any pen when a tight "snap-on" cap is removed quickly, just because of the suction that can be created by a tight cap. The cap on this pen is supposed to be specially made so ink will not dry out, so I would anticipate someone could spray ink if they removed the cap quickly. So, I do not see this as a problem with this pen. What I do with all of my pens where the cap is not threaded on to the pen is hold the pen barrel in my right hand and use my thumb and index finger on my right hand on the cap along with the thumb and index finger on my left hand on the cap to slowly and gently remove the cap. This method has never failed me, even in these hot summer months when ink tends to get hot in the pen and the ink and air in the pen tend to expand and cause problems.

Again, thanks for your encouraging comments about this pen. It is now my carry everyplace pen, having replaced my Nemosine Singularity in rotation. I believe I will be buying some more of these Platinum pens for using and gifting to students.

All the best,

T

I've been a fan of the Plaisirs since last year. The Platinum Preppy was just a bit, um, cheap feeling & looking(with all the info printed on the barrel) and the Plaisirs come in such pretty shiny colors. Magpie? Yes, that would be me.

My lavender Plaisir has been tossed into my desktop holder(s)(vertical and horizontal) for over a year now, and is often knocked on the floor and batted around by the cats, and I still can't see more than the smallest scratches. I push the cap off with my thumb and have not yet been dripped with ink. I don't like the carts but haven't had any problems with the converter.

Buy a Plaisir with an F nib and a Preppy in the same color with an M nib and you can have 2 nibs for your Plaisir for only $3US.

Note: I did have one or two nibs (I have lavender, deep blue and deep green) which lost a chip or two of their very thin plating of color, but it doesn't seem to affect the nibs other than cosmetically.

Thanks for reviewing this pen.

Thanks for your detailed review. I bought the Lavender M just to try it out. I love it and have since bought a green one and a gold one. I use them for work, when I know I have lots of writing to do as they're light, comfortable and efficient with the ink. All 3 write beautifully, never skip and look more expensive than they are. I've had no problems with spraying, blobs or the converters and am having fun matching the nib and the ink. Now I want a red one to fill with Visconti Blue ink.tongue.gif

Edited by Newjelan

Great review! I've always been curious about these pens because I use its little brother (the Preppy) a lot. Can the Plaisir be converted into an eyedropper?

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Can the Plaisir be converted to an eyedropper?

NO! The body is made from aluminum. Aluminum + ink = Bad Juju

Buy a Plaisir with an F nib and a Preppy in the same color with an M nib and you can have 2 nibs for your Plaisir for only $3US.

Great Idea! $22 (Plaisir) + $3 (Preppy) = Free Shipping! :notworthy1:

And you then have an M nib and an F nib for either pen!

Thanks for thinking of this, cause I'm a gonna do it!

All the best,

T

I have a few of these pens and really love the fact that they don't dry out. Not so keen on the fat slippery bodies and the cheap-looking wide chrome band, though. I use mine for the ink colours that I don't use much -- red, green and so on.

I have a few of these pens and really love the fact that they don't dry out. Not so keen on the fat slippery bodies and the cheap-looking wide chrome band, though. I use mine for the ink colours that I don't use much -- red, green and so on.

I agree w/ you about the slipperiness and I guess one could see the wide chromey-silvery band as cheap. I've always seen my gold Plaisir as being like a slim Fabrege egg. The original poster's review of the Plaisir is the first I've seen since I bought mine (as my first fountain pen, in 40+ years by the way B) ) I also find it too thick for my small hands but it is an elegant pen for not only the price but also for the quality. Mine is filled with the proprietary Platinum black ink. I also bought the Platinum converter but have not yet used it. I am a bit worried about the reports of the converter not working right however...

post-87732-0-38559200-1341159070.jpg

Edited by Saintpaulia

I agree w/ you about the slipperiness and I guess one could see the wide chromey-silvery band as cheap. I've always seen my gold Plaisir as being like a slim Fabrege egg. The original poster's review of the Plaisir is the first I've seen since I bought mine (as my first fountain pen, in 40+ years by the way B) ) I also find it too thick for my small hands but it is an elegant pen for not only the price but also for the quality. Mine is filled with the proprietary Platinum black ink. I also bought the Platinum converter but have not yet used it. I am a bit worried about the reports of the converter not working right however...

I REALLY like the gold color of your pen in your picture. Your picture is far better than the stock "for sale" pictures I have seen on some websites. I must say that the pen does look nice in some of these other colors; I am just too accustomed to buying black pens, I guess. :mellow:

Also, I, too, was surprised that this pen had not been reviewed before because the quality is certainly apparent in the pen! Thanks for sharing!!! :thumbup:

All the best,

T

To add to this review. Today I just discovered that this pen with the Platinum ink will write the same wet width either right side up or upside down. I thought I would try for a nice fine line to write in a notebook, and discovered there was no difference in line width no matter how I held the pen. That does give this pen a special attribute for those who want to pick up a pen and write something down quickly. It appears that it will write first stroke and well from almost any angle the moment you pick it up.

I do have the Fine nib on order and will report when I have the opportunity to compare the two nibs.

Have a great day!

All the best,

T

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

Just yesterday we drove over to Asheville to my favorite pen shop, Origami Ink. While there, Jonathan showed me the Platinum Plaisir fountain pens that he had gotten in. I loved the red one with the red nib and opted for the medium nib (although I love a fine point) in order to get better ink flow and richer coloring. I also opted to go with an ink converter as I love changing inks often using my bottles of outstanding inks in a rainbow of colors. Jonathan also told me that the cap seals so tightly that even if quite a while has lapsed since this pen was last used, it will write the first time you uncap it and put pen to paper again. It's still brand new to me but so far, I really like this inexpensive addition to my collection of adored fountain pens. I think that I'll probably be using it often. Thanks so much for the great review, tumbleweedtoo!

Edited by ladyinthemists

She who laughs, lasts 61106869_10219479460406206_6753598647167

• 2 months later...

I regard the Plaisir as superior to the Metropolitan and Safari as a recommendation for the new fountain pen user. I don't expect everyone to share this opinion, but I do expect people to add it to those two when recommending a first pen. It does not have the giant section/barrel step of the Metro, nor the relatively unconventional semi-triangular section of the Safari. It also has a bit more section girth than the other two (I don't actually have a Metro, but I do have a 78G, and I've heard it has the same nib/section unit as the Metro).

I bought mine for use with red ink, cos I don't use red ink very much. It has been splendid. There are some scratches and even a dent at the end of the barrel where it got squeezed against some keys in my pants pocket (alas, not all of my pants are loose-fitting). I refill the cartridge, and open the pen one-handed, and have had no issues whatsoever. I hold the pen in my right hand for this operation, and use index finger and thumb to pop the cap off and pass it to my off hand. It is not buttery-smooth. I'd say it's on the toothy side of having feedback.

Ladyinthemists, Origami Ink is on Glenn's Pens list of world class shops. You have a treasure, there.

And yes, it's my Bricks and Mortar shop too. Jonathan loves what he sells, and he saved me from buying a Lamy 2000, and from buying the Safari again, by having the one for me to hold, and the other for me to write with. It takes a minute or two of writing with a Safari/Al-Star/Vista/Joy for the triangular section to start bothering me. Maybe if I switched to arm-writing, it wouldn't.

Plaisir, imho, does not get the notice its should. Just yesterday I found my '"lost" Plaisir in a book bag. Perhaps a year since I used it last. Smiled as I uncapped, knowing absolutely it could not possibly be liquid and ready to write after this long period.

"Hah" says Plaisir as it inks a smooth wet line.

BTW, this book bag remains in my car, below zero weather during last winter, and some recent serious above 80's F heat. At least the Plaisir example I own does exactly what it advertises, to the extreme.

I agree it doesn't get the love that it should. Totally reliable and writes well. Great for traveling and you're concerned about losing a pen.