The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hoover De Luxe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SmoutKa

SmoutKa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2012 - 22:42

The pen in this review has been discussed in an earlier topic. Or even two of them.

Posted Image

I found it in a drawer at my parents house, somewhere around 1990. It didn't work.
April 2012, I found you guys here at FPN. And raised the question about this pen. What is it? How does it fill? Brand? History? Country of origin?
Now I believe it is a japanese pen (though some insiders doubt that, I can see), and at least I know that it is a button filler. And what a button filler is. How it works.

Wacht_art resacked and tinkered the pen. Posted ImageHe even had the gold nib soldered, because it almost fell apart. Posted Image

The pen. It is small. Tiny. Even my Sheaffer Triumph and Imperial dwarves it. Both in size and weight. But the diameter is regular.
If you are in to the writing telephone-pole thing: this is different. It is even difficult to write with it unposted. Or I should say 'was', because I grew fond of it that way.
Speaking about posting: is posts securely, and is a normally balanced pen that way.

It is a moderately wet writer, now it has been tinkered by Watch_art. A very even flow, a good starter, didn't miss a single dot.
The nib is a true flex. But I am completely strange to the field of flexing. My challenge is to read in a way I can decipher myself what I wrote. No arty expressions on that side...

Posted Image

Materials then.
Body: grey striated celluloid. Ow, do I like that!
14k gold flex nib
Ebonite feed
Black plastic jewel, section and blind cap
Bronze clip
Goldplated band on cap Posted Image

I really love the look and feel of the pen.
There was a crack in the cap. I fixed it, using plain Acetone and a cotton swab.
Now it looks and feels perfect. A nice resistance in the thread, closing with confidence.
It is attractive without being shiny. Just different enough to give me the feeling I hold something special.
Old and different enough to raise some questions.
And solid enough to use with confidence as a daily writer.

Shawn, thanks a lot!

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:11

Thanks for showing us the pen, it's neat. Try picking up a copy of the book Write Now. Kudos to Shawn for the great job he did.

#3 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:48

I love to see a great old pen come back to life like this, and what a beauty this one is!
Thanks to both of you.
ron

#4 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:07

That's really a beautiful pen! Thanks for the review!
Posted Image

#5 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:34

Awesome! Very glad I was able to get it going for you.

It does have a sweet little nib, too. :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

|