Waterman Star Nibs

wildblueroan

While not a serious collector, I like star nibs and have acquired a few over the years.

I recently purchased a Waterman 94 Mahogany from a dealer in the U.K. When it arrived last week, I was happily surprised to notice that the RED nib was also stamped with a small star (see Photo). I've never seen this detail before and would be curious whether others have.

I am attaching a photo of the keyhole RED nib next to an example of the Waterman's famous, earlier example, which I bought in a plain black no.12 eyedropper.

Has anyone else seen factory nibs from the 20s/30s or beyond stamped with stars?

Waterman didn't invent the star nib design-they carried it forward from dip nibs. I am also attaching a photo of a predecessor-a Fairchild New York No. 5 with a cut-out star-as well as a later version used during the 1930s by Eberhard Faber, which I believe was based in New York or New Jersey.

post-2275-0-87503800-1340566771.jpg

post-2275-0-37255800-1340566980.jpg

post-2275-0-66939700-1340566999.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• wildblueroan

• pen tom

• archambault72

Hi, did you ever find out what the star means? I am trying to find out the significance of the star emblem on the nib.

Thanks,

GIgi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did you ever find out what the star means? I am trying to find out the significance of the star emblem on the nib.

Thanks,

GIgi

The important of star nibs in Waterman pens marks the early beginning of the Waterman #2 nib design. If I recall correctly, its right before they start experimenting with the different styles of letters, but after the more desirable horse shoe Waterman nib.

I did end up buying the star nib after seeing some of your pictures. Also, why is the horse shoe nib more desirable?

I did end up buying the star nib after seeing some of your pictures. Also, why is the horse shoe nib more desirable?

Buying the nib, or buying the pen? What pen did it arrive in? The horseshoe nib is a very early nib, pre 1900's, and because the Waterman pen company didn't get into production until 1895/96, and those were the nibs used during the early years of the company, those nibs are hard to come by. Only a few dozen are known, but I won't speculate too much, and don't hold me to that number.

• 1 year later...

Leroy W. Fairchild is said to have been the first supplier of nibs to Waterman, so the Waterman star imprint could be a deliberate reference to the distinctive star-shaped hole on some of the earlier Fairchild dip nibs (as shown in the first post). Dip nibs don't need a breather hole, of course, so the Fairchild star was presumably for stress dispersal, as well as a branding symbol.

Here's a Fairchild star nib from the underside:

http://i.imgur.com/kk3b1Js.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

• 1 year later...

Cool! I just got one of these nibs in an eBay auction. I’ve been dropping dip nibs into my fountain pens and they’re an utter joy to use.

Great topic. Thanks for sharing. I like the pictures. I've never seen a Waterman #7 nib with the star

I received a Waterman star nib in the mail today. I bought it thru an eBay auction from someone in England

Great topic. Thanks for sharing. I like the pictures. I've never seen a Waterman #7 nib with the star

I received a Waterman star nib in the mail today. I bought it thru an eBay auction from someone in England

NIce broad nib!!

NIce broad nib!!

Yes, I've been looking for one of these for awhile. Now, I would like to find a horseshoe nib Waterman

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The Fairchild pen arrived. The nib needs some TLC, but the tipping's still on and it's just about the same size as a #2 nib. Endless possibilities!

Here's a picture:

fpn_1508821573__leroy_fairchild_star.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is what came back from Mr. Minuskin - I call it The Chimera because I figure its made from at least four pens. The nib is AMAZING, especially on smooth paper. If you can run the experiment, the result can be a lot of fun.

fpn_1512238651__ef3d26af-b2be-44de-a986-

This is what came back from Mr. Minuskin - I call it The Chimera because I figure its made from at least four pens. The nib is AMAZING, especially on smooth paper. If you can run the experiment, the result can be a lot of fun.

fpn_1512238651__ef3d26af-b2be-44de-a986-

Have you posted elsewhere about using dip nibs in FPs?

Yeah, that was probably me. It’s a different experience with a nib that responsive.

Thanks, could you provide info about how to find that post?

Most of those posts seem to be in Fountain and Dip Pens - First Stop. It’s an interesting forum anyway.