• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Shangas

• fuchsiaprincess

• esterbex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trays have now dried without warping too much.

The next stage is to start forming the backing card for the suede.

Step one is to measure and cut the card to the correct width.

15013930533_328eff1c6c_z.jpgIMG_8889_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Step two

Rub a damp sponge over the card and place it into the tray on top of the card and dowels I used the two larger dowels to make the card form to the desired shape

15634113225_6fa42247f0_z.jpgIMG_8891_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Step three

Allow to dry before trimming

15610401666_b8295bc864_z.jpgIMG_8894_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I wont trim the length until the suede is fitted

Repeat 4 times

Thanks for looking

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I have started applying the suede to the card there were two choices of colour I have chosen the lilac it is very soft and a nice pale colour it looks good with the oak

15642617075_7f6e8af9ed_z.jpgIMG_8897_1 by my0771, on Flickr

There are a few more steps before the trays are complete

I wanted to share the process I use to make the inserts for my pen trays.

The suede has been cut to size (that sounds like I have a team of helpers) :lol: Just me and the three four dogs Holly our foster dog is still here neither of them is much help though.

15642054681_11db93e394_z.jpgIMG_8901_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Here the suede is placed on top of the card the suede is then rolled up on the dowel glue is then applied to the card and the suede is then rolled over the card and pressed into place.

15458107849_9a97afc9cb_z.jpgIMG_8908_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The next step is to join the two insert pieces together

Thanks for looking

Michael

Looks great Michael.

I love watching these builds. You make these trays look so easy. One of these days I will try my hand at it.

Is that regular white glue you are using to hold down the suede?

Darrin

Darrin McArthur

Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

My Etsy Store

Thanks David and Kate

Darrin it is white pva standard woodworkers glue I usually buy the one that says leather on the label along with wood.

I usually apply the glue thinly and wait until it is almost dry before I place the leather on top, if you use a heavier suede or leather you can do away with the backing card.

Any questions just ask

Michael

Elle's writing slope is a beautiful thing however there are one or two things I asked if I could put right before sending it on to its new home.

It will also give you an idea of my sickness

For some reason two pieces of light wood have been glued into the bottom of the ink wells, those who are observant will also notice that the grain of the wood is also in the wrong direction.

15499063377_519cba9930_z.jpgIMG_8914_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The ideal solution is to replace the incorrect wood with more appropriate wood however this is not possible as it is glued in place.

My solution was to take two small pieces of wood of the correct type for this slope it is Cedar I stained it the correct colour and cut it to the correct size.

15499066517_16eaa7449e_z.jpgIMG_8916_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have not glued them down they are a push fit so they may be removed if required.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Edited by my63

Most writing slopes have a pen tray in the centre of the ink well area it rests on two strips fixed to the inside which creates a semi secret area,

This slope has a nice piece of mahogany instead of its pen tray I have been searching for a pen tray long enough for this slope without success so I decided to make one.

15498407249_7b3004ee80_z.jpgIMG_8918_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Pen trays are always very light I cut a piece of oak to the correct size and found it was way too heavy so I took a pen tray from another slope and had a close look at it.

It is made from a soft wood and stained to look like oak I am not too good with stain so I will veneer my version

15498892238_dd1e8f4ede_z.jpgIMG_8924_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the halfway point the shaping is almost complete a bit more sanding to obtain the correct shape and then add the veneer

I will include the mahogany piece with my replacement so the owner has a choice

Thanks for looking

Michael

Edited by my63

I have to admit I used a power sander to shape the curve,

15096827864_85a7c80366_z.jpgIMG_8937_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Having shaped the curve I added some nice light cherry veneer

15096828654_81cba96dec_z.jpgIMG_8938_1 by my0771, on Flickr

it just needs some wax

Thanks for looking

Michael

Dear Michael,

Like so many other members of this board, I have been eargerly following your posts in this thread. I can only say that you are very good not only at restoring writing slopes and bags etc. but also at infecting other people with your enthusiasm. And it seems that I am the next 'victim' of that enthusiasm: I have just bought my very first slope. It looks like this:

Overzicht Bovenkant 1Onderkant Open

The main problem is that the underside of the box has slightly warped, causing the box not to close any more. There is also a quite big crack in the lid that, I suppose, has been caused by closing the box despite the warping. It doesn't seems that the lid can be fixed without removing the veneer. The inside of the box has been lined with what seems to be wall paper and it will certainly take some effort to remove it.

Since I have to finish my dissertation, I will only start with the restoration in a couple of months. But I couldn't resist posting some pictures right away!

Steven

"Je suis un homme-plume. Je sens par elle, à cause d'elle, par rapport à elle et beaucoup plus avec elle." (Gustave Flaubert)

Thanks Kate I am sure we are due an update on your adventures.

Welcome Steven I used to watch an American tv show called dirty money with Jimmy Di Reista and his brother and they called this collecting and re purposing a sickness I must admit they made money from their items I have not mastered that part yet :)

Don't worry about the cracks let me know when you are ready and I will help you in any way I can,

It will look great when it is restored.