You've Got Your First Found In The Wild Parker 51 In Your Hand, Now What?

OcalaFlGuy

Been through this cleaning routine thoroughly twice now on my 51 but the pen just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with my writing. It was my grandfathers so I'll probably send it in to get it checked over professionally.

The nib on the pen is super smooth, but the feed doesn't seem to be able to keep up. It's frustrating as the potential of the pen is obvious, but without a disassembly which I'm somewhat afraid to do (as a repair newbee) It doesn't look as if I can but this beauty any better crybaby.gif

Badger

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• mitto

• Komitadjie

• inkstainedruth

Hi Bruce,

I just purchased some Ammonia but over here we have a 20g NH3/L dilution which is only 2%. I know in your other post you suggested a 10% Ammonia concentration.

So I assume that I'd have to make a 50:50 mixture of mine to equal the 1% solution that your 1/10 solution would make?

Do you think that sounds about right?

Thanks!

Been through this cleaning routine thoroughly twice now on my 51 but the pen just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with my writing. It was my grandfathers so I'll probably send it in to get it checked over professionally.

The nib on the pen is super smooth, but the feed doesn't seem to be able to keep up. It's frustrating as the potential of the pen is obvious, but without a disassembly which I'm somewhat afraid to do (as a repair newbee) It doesn't look as if I can but this beauty any better crybaby.gif

Badger

Maybeamac, that 50/50 sounds right to me, if the pen is particularly nasty leaving it 2% would work too.

Badger, sorry to hear this. Yes, not EVERY 51 found in the wild is going to not require some professional help. The good news is at least you've got it nice and clean not for the repairperson. They should appreciate that. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Badger, sorry to hear this. Yes, not EVERY 51 found in the wild is going to not require some professional help. The good news is at least you've got it nice and clean not for the repairperson. They should appreciate that. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Good to know the time spent cleaning wasn't wasted! laugh.gif Thanks for the tips vbg.gif

See you around,

Badger

The strangest thing just happened.

I noticed that my 51s nib had a slight bend under close inspection, as if over years of heavy handed writing it had been pushed upwards, or rather bent upwards. I decided to give it a wee push in the opposite direction using my journal (I've had a less than brilliant day so was stupidly courageous or perhaps angry at the time), now the damn thing writes fine, I'm in shock.

I'm not saying this is the correct thing to do, but for the last five minutes this thing writes like a nice wet medium nib, very smooth, but with some scratchyness at the the edges almost as if the nib was telling you off for not writing correctly or something!

Has anyone else encountered this?

Anyways, basically I just wanted to let OcalaFlGuy know that mine's flying now, thanks to his cleaning help... and a little nudge laugh.gif

Edited by Cyclopentadiene

Anyone have any idea where to get Ammonia, or rather a good solution of it in the UK?Thanks again, Badger

You'll find it stocked in most Homebase stores, whereas Boots don't seem to stock it but will order it in.

This may not be the place for this post but out of curiosity what's the deal with Ammonia in the UK? I have seen it on several other threads with people in the UK commenting on how hard it is to purchase Ammonia. I grew up in a household in the states that Ammonia is one of the top cleaners especial when it comes to glass \ china much less a dirty kitchen or bathroom just make sure you have a window open and never mix it with Bleach. Is their some sort of regulations or is just not a popular household cleaner in the UK?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

Anyone have any idea where to get Ammonia, or rather a good solution of it in the UK?Thanks again, Badger

You'll find it stocked in most Homebase stores, whereas Boots don't seem to stock it but will order it in.

This may not be the place for this post but out of curiosity what's the deal with Ammonia in the UK? I have seen it on several other threads with people in the UK commenting on how hard it is to purchase Ammonia. I grew up in a household in the states that Ammonia is one of the top cleaners especial when it comes to glass \ china much less a dirty kitchen or bathroom just make sure you have a window open and never mix it with Bleach. Is their some sort of regulations or is just not a popular household cleaner in the UK?

It's around in the UK, I managed to get it from a local hardware store in the end but boots didn't have it and didn't even know what it was headsmack.gif

I've had a think about it myself, I'm pretty sure it's not a regulation thing but ammonia is definitely not used as much as other cleaning chems (over here). I assume it's simply to do with the smell... maybe us Brits have a sensitive nose laugh.gif

When using ammonia you do have to be a bit more careful compared to just using surfactants and the health and safety regulations here are.... ridiculous at times. Perhaps places are scared of getting sued over here more due to the possibility of 'insufficient safety labelling' or something?!?

Badger

• 1 month later...

Being a newbie in this forum I like to salute Bruce for his extraordinary post. I had a parker-51 which was really a bogus pen. It didn't write smoothly, though I tried several inks, still it couldn't perform to its reputation. Then suddenly I stumble upon your post and thoroughly cleaned the pen.'ObserveClosely''s picture demonstration was really helpful since I was afraid to dismantle the 51.

After cleaning and drying I gave it a shot with Waterman Florida Blue. And WOW!!! what a pen. Smooth like anything and nice line. No jamming or problematic experience. Thanks a lot, really you guys open the gate for me. Its even better than my butter smooth sonnet. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Edited by RON_D_SAVIOUR

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your great cleaning instructions.

I got a used ol' 51 for my self.

I used 10% household ammonia. I mixed one part ammonia with 9 parts water which brings the ammonia down to 1%

(is this the correct mixture?)

After cleaning it, the "pli-glass" sac looks a lot cleaner than before, but I have still about a half-dozen of smaller dark colored flakes inside the sac (1-4mm in size). I can see them through the sac floating up and down, if I turn the pen.

Any idea to get those out without a disassemble? Can they clog up the feed?

I doubt the flakes would clog a P-51 feed but they Could clog the ink flow through the associated collector and affect the writibility.

Honestly, the best answer IMO is to disassemble the front end and clean it all out. The channel in the filler sac is actually smaller than it looked to me, a Q-tip will only fit in with almost all the cotton pulled of it. You might be able to just flush all the flakes out once disassembled.

It bothers me a bit about the flakes as that is often associated with dried India ink. IF there's been India ink dry up in the pen it Really needs to come apart for cleaning. On the other hand, regular ink could also produce flakes I'd guess under certain dry out conditions. The only way to be sure is to take it apart and see. (I am a bit More concerned now thinking that the Ammonia solution might *should have* "reformulated" any normal (non-India ink) flakes back into liquid form.)

If you don't want to disassemble it yourself, this isn't a serious repair, there are several people who would clean it all out for you for around $30.

There may be an almost as good answer though.

If you did the full flush and soak deal and all that's evidencing itself is the flakes, you might go ahead and ink it up and try it out. You probably got most if not all the residue inside the pen out Except the flakes (if it wasn't India ink) and it May write just fine. **I can't see anyway that inking it up would make things any worse** You really have nothing to lose. Who knows, it is possible the Pen Gods may smile on you and either keep the flakes out of the channels in the collector or maybe magically reconstitute them in some other ink formulation.

You might try reposting this in the Repair forum and see if you get some more (better?) info.

I say ink it up and try it, you have nothing to lose, and you won't make things any worse by doing so.

(If you still have water in the pen get a bright desk light and try to write with the pen on paper. See if there's any flow out the nib. If there is I'd take that as a good sign. <Not seeing any flow wouldn't necessary be a Bad sign as water is thinner than ink.>)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I WOULD. INK IT TOO.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Found a Parker 17 and a Parker 21 fully soaked, inked them up and they are working. Yeah ebay.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 months later...

How would one take apart the hood and nib on a 51 for cleaning?

It doesn't even look as if it would come apart so I would appreciate some idiot proof instructions please.

I just can't afford to send pens away for repair at the moment what with our new baby and having to save for a move. So this'll be a bit of a DIY job.

I do not know how to get the hood off. I assumed it was threaded and screwed but I have never removed the hood. Soaks and flush only have done me just fine.

Congrats as well on your child being expected.

Thank you so much but she was born 11/12/2012. Good date of birth methinks.