The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Onoto K4

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2012 - 17:56

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Dimensions :
Pen closed : 13.2 cm
Cap : 6.3 cm
Uncapped : 12.1 cm
Posted : 15.7 cm
Diameter, at ink window's level : 1.2 cm
Diameter, just above the nib (at joint's level) : 0.7 cm

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:40

That's interesting. Thanks for the review.

I have bid sporadically on these, but have never won one - possibly because I've never seen a review with enough detail to make me want one seriously.

Regards,

Richard.

#3 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:58

Thanks. I just noticed the nib unit was slipped into the body, making the section/nib unit misalignement problem solved.
Also, this makes the pen very easy to flush. Just remove the nib unit and pour water.
Some more photos :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't solve the ink-flow issue yet, because the feed and the nib seem to be tightly fit inside the inner-section. I'll leave this to an expert.

Posted Image

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:44

very nice and original pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 17:23

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#6 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:03

I have about four of these: both snap-caps and screw-on caps. Got them, over time, because a piston-filling P51 sounds like a good idea.

- Very light-weight plastic. Much lighter than a 51.

- I have never found one with much tipping material. Maybe that was the design or maybe the "irridium" worse off easily. Had Mike Masuyama tune one, which came back writing like an italic.

- The piston is well-done. Onoto stopped making these pens about 1956, but they still work as neatly as last year's Pelikan 200.

- I was pleasantly surprised to discover that a little hair-dryer heat would let me unscrew the hood. Thought they were impossible to work on. I'm pretty sure that Onoto did not expect people to tinker with them, especially not 50 years later.

- The flow has been OK on mine. It's the nib that's a problem...un-Onoto-like

- Still seems like a good idea that almost worked out.
Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#7 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:51

Thanks for the additional information, Welch !

Posted Image

#8 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:58

I bought one of these quite some time ago. It wrote OK when I got it - smooth, but with problematic flow. I had to press quite firmly to get a decent line and the flow was patchy - much like the OP's first photo.

So I ended up putting it away.

A few months ago, I returned to it and took it apart. This post was very helpful. Flushed it, cleaned it thoroughly, put it back together again. Still no joy.

So then I played around with the nib (gently!) and now it writes like a dream. Beautiful, juicy wet line (how I like it). I can leave it uncapped for half-an-hour and have the pen start again the moment it touches the paper (I tested). And although it doesn't feel as solid as the iconic, legendary Parker 51, I think the piston/ink window makes it a more useful item and (dare I say it) I prefer it.

The only thing is to not forget to put a little silicone grease on the threads for the hood when you put it back together...

(edited to spell "silicone" correctly)

Edited by stephanos, 06 January 2016 - 22:59.

Sponsored Content

|