Modern Montegrappa Regular Edition Pens

jar

TTBOMK only the Extra and Extra 1930 use that nib.

It is surely the biggest nib I've written with and it beats in size most f the other big nib pens.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see it next to some of the other big boys?

For example the Sailor KOP or Namiki Emperor?

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• collectingfool

• ArchiMark

• Plesso

It is surely the biggest nib I've written with and it beats in size most f the other big nib pens.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see it next to some of the other big boys?

For example the Sailor KOP or Namiki Emperor?

The Ducale grande limited edition also uses the #8 nib.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your kind comment

The Elmo was launched in the late 90s. I actually have 2 sets the same and one is marked 1998 and the other 1999.

It was a throwback to the early 1930s models I suppose, although it looks more 50s to my eyes.

I suspect it was launched as a cheaper offering to the regular line up as it's not done in celluloid, but variegated resins instead. 3 colours were available - this mustardy brown color, a red and a blue. The same resin were used in the Harmony line (ballpoint in my picture above), which is a cheaper version of the Symphony.

The Elmo is very lightweight, but still maintain the hallmarks of Montegrappa pens of the period, with sterling silver trim (very minimal) and an 18K gold nib (small like the Micra).

I think you will find that Montegrappa were doing a lot of special editions and introducing a lot of lines during these late 90s years. Many of the limited editions are marked 1998 or similar years. I wonder if this strategy was to boost its value and financial figures in the lead up to the Richemont sale in 2000.

This is a pic of my Elmo.

As described by aggoo it's a lightweight resin pen and the feel in the hand is very different from the celluloid-silver Montegrappa pens.

Nonetheless it is still a nice writer with an 18k nib.

fpn_1536963636__p1150514-3.jpg

and this one is a Miya Argento rossa,

the classic Montegrappa celluloid-silver look is almost enforced here.

Being smaller than the Extra the body almost bulges out, but due to the tapering section and no step down, as in several other Montegrappa pens, it's very comfortable to hold.

fpn_1536963969__p1160519-3.jpg

• 2 months later...

You will not regret it! It is one of the pens in my arsenal that my hand searches for all the time... Beautiful to look at, beautiful to hand, and a great writer! What nib (echo)?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a F nib. It came in the mail several days ago and I cant put it down. It has greatly exceeded my expectations. Vastly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Does anyone know if the celluloid on the barrel of the Extra 1930 is any bit transparent, maybe in bright light, maybe the lighter colours (e.g. yellow)?

I would very much like to buy such a pen, but for my taste, I have to be able to see the ink levels. I never had a celluloid pen, so I don't know how the material behaves, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

The old tortoise shell was a trifle translucent, but the answer is no.

Okay, thanks. I was afraid this was the case.

• 8 months later...

Excellent thread!

I'm back on the forums because I was doing some research on Lamy's. But the Espressione has been on my wish list for some time. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on a green one for sale...but luckily I was reading this thread and I think I will wait. The one for sale is a "new" Espressione which would also explain why it's so much cheaper than what I recall). I think I would like the early version.

I have my reading cut out for this weekend.

Edited by Caifanito

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

Excellent thread!

I'm back on the forums because I was doing some research on Lamy's. But the Espressione has been on my wish list for some time. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on a green one for sale...but luckily I was reading this thread and I think I will wait. The one for sale is a "new" Espressione which would also explain why it's so much cheaper than what I recall). I think I would like the early version.

I have my reading cut out for this weekend.

Glad it helped.

My Website

• 1 month later...

Today, I received two items of note: the first is a Mini Mule BP, from Fahrney's. I like copper; 20% of my small collection have it in the body or trim. And the mini size is now very comfortable in these old, arthritic hands. I also received the latest Fountain Pen Hospital catalog, which shows the new Tulip for Team Fox pen, supporting Parkinson's research, an affliction with which I also deal. Begnning last July, Montegrappa provided my (75th) birthday present to myself, a Fortuna Moscow BP. This year, belatedly, the Mini Mule. Next year, I hope (I have contacted Montegrappa and suggested it), a mini Tulip for #77. What will they think of when I turn 80, or 100? Whatever it is, I expect that I will be lined up to partake. A fan not only of the product, but of exceptional service - a far cry from Visconti, for example. On the two occasions I contacted them, I was informed that I was intruding. I have nothing against the Pineider people, but Dante del Vecchio, his design abilities notwithstanding, is not on my Christmas card list!

Edited by OneRiotOneRanger

• 4 years later...

I am a belated convert to Montegrappa and have only just found this thread. Fascinating stuff, really useful. The links seem no longer to work. Is there any way to get hold of them? Or where else could I go to see more photos? 

It's over four years since anyone posted here, but if Jar does see this I'd be very grateful for further info.