Conklin Mark Twain Crescent Filler

jandrese

Is there any way to flush ink out of this pen besides pumping the Crescent? I let it soak in water with tissue to wick out the ink from Wednesday afternoon until about 15 minutes ago, and it's still not running clear (though it's a much lighter shade now).

I unscrewed it to look inside and noticed the rubber sac is attached to the section with some sort of ring thing (a gasket?). I don't see a way to easily get it on and off.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Gotta pump!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• rockydoggy

• johntdavis

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any way to flush ink out of this pen besides pumping the Crescent? I let it soak in water with tissue to wick out the ink from Wednesday afternoon until about 15 minutes ago, and it's still not running clear (though it's a much lighter shade now).

I unscrewed it to look inside and noticed the rubber sac is attached to the section with some sort of ring thing (a gasket?). I don't see a way to easily get it on and off.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

On my pen, that ring or gasket comes off. In fact, I bought the pen new and when it arrived, the sac had either come off or had never been attached correctly. After checking with the seller, I was able to remove that connector, put the sac on, and replace the ring. In terms of cleaning the pen, I would probably avoid messing with that ring too often in order to avoid its loosening up.

I just ordered one of these in black with a stub nib. Question: I assume that changing the nib is a friction process?

I just ordered one of these in black with a stub nib. Question: I assume that changing the nib is a friction process?

Sounds like the entire nib and section are a single unit, friction fit: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119167-swapping-modern-conklin-crescent-nibs/

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at this pen multiple times at Paradise Pen - but I couldn't get anything other than a Medium nib and when I finally decided to bite the bullet, the cap was stuck on.... arghh. I decided the pen must be finicky.

BUT now that you all have been using it....

Is it a finicky pen?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I looked at this pen multiple times at Paradise Pen - but I couldn't get anything other than a Medium nib and when I finally decided to bite the bullet, the cap was stuck on.... arghh. I decided the pen must be finicky.

BUT now that you all have been using it....

Is it a finicky pen?

I really like the people that work at my local Paradise Pens, but their selection can be limited. HisNibs.com (where I got my Crescent w/ Stub) should have a wider nib selection. He might even have one of the black-coated nibs that would work (I think those are compatible with Conklin Crescents...not sure).

My stub isn't finicky at all. I've never had problems with the cap sticking, either. Is it still doing that?

(If you get the 1.1 mm stub, I'd recommend a fast drying ink. Very wet nib.)

Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

You're correct. I had one of these and the sac came loose... :sad:

Ditto. I have one in red marble/desert or something like that (same vintage as the green marbled one, plain steel nib) and it also had the sac come loose. I took it back to the B&M where I bought it, and when it was returned, he said it had a gasket or ring installed to hold the sac on. However, I just looked at it, and it appears not. Just looks like mabye the sac is glued on. No real issues since, but I don't use it a whole lot either.

• 9 months later...

I don't know anything about em. I bought this one because I liked the way it looked

post-111663-0-79539400-1401942539_thumb.jpg

Ooo, nice. I bought a Zebra version last week but in all honesty I would love to be able to see the ink swishing around inside.

Enjoy!

Ooo, nice. I bought a Zebra version last week but in all honesty I would love to be able to see the ink swishing around inside.

Enjoy!

Your wish is my command

capturedvideo.MOV

Love it!!!

I'll start saving for one now.

I don't know about you but mine is unexpectedly right up there with my favourite writers.

Thank you very much for the assistance!

I did some research and found a photo of a dismantled Crescent model from around 2008 in a Japanese "mook" (magazine book) called "Pen Brand" which I purchased at Kinokuniya in Seattle. It clearly shows a gasket where the sac attaches to the feed nipple. Today, I unsuccessfully tried to unscrew the barrel from the section using section pliers but it wouldn't budge. Perhaps I'll apply a little heat. I want to open up the pen since I don't think it is filling properly because of a possible air leak at the feed nipple.

Regards, Robert

UPDATE: I used hot water to loosen the section from the barrel. Here's what I discovered and wrote for another post about a Conklin Crescent issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------

For later reference, all modern re-issued Conklin Crescent-Fillers are easily serviceable. The first models had aerometric sacs that were held in place with a rubber O-ring (gasket), but for later models the sacs are glued to the feed nipple and there is less of a chance for leaks or filling problems.

These pens can be dismantled and I have used a pair of section pliers and rubber gripping material sold by Richard Binder to unscrew the barrel from the nib section. The barrel and outer nib section unscrew between the metal ring on the nib section and the barrel. Sometimes, heat may need to be applied at the point where the barrel and section meet. Hot water can help loosen the seal. Be sure the crescent filler button is locked in place. I hold the barrel with gripping material and rotate the section with the section pliers.

There is an inner section holding the nib and feed, but it is a little tricky to unscrew. The Endura model has the same arrangement and seems to unscrew easily. The nib and feed are friction fit and it is easier to simply pull them straight out for thorough cleaning or adjustment. Notice the registration guide, in the inner section, for lining up the nib and feed for reinsertion into the section.

The sac, according to a White Rubber Company gauge, is a number 17 (.266 inch diameter/ 73 mm), and it is 2 7/8 inches long. The nibs are a number 6 and are interchangeable with Goulet JoWo number 6 nibs.

The new, re-issued Conklin Crescent Fillers (aerometric-filled) pens are simple to maintain and they are terrific, classic fountain pens. If the seal for the sac at the feed nipple is secure, leaks will not occur and the section should remain relatively clean.

When re-attaching the barrel to nib section, the nib and crescent filler should line up, just as the crescent filler lines up with the clip when the cap is screwed on.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 3 years later...

Just a couple of weeks ago got my Mark Twain Demo Limited Edition. Indeed the sac is just secured by an o´ring to the neck of the body. Tried to fill it the first time, half of the ink went into the sac, the other hal into the barrel. To dissasemble it just warmed up the thread with my wife´s hair dryer. Cleaned everything very well, tried everything again a couple of times with only the o´ring. That definitely does not work, mine came with nothing else besides the o´ring. Got it working, but getting Shellac here in Guatemala has been a pain. First tried with a clear RTV Silicone, didn´t seal. Used contact cement and now its working. The one thing I am afraid is that with time the contact cement will damage the awesome finish or something. So right now I am trying to order some shellac and some sacs from eBay. The only thing left is what size is the one I need to buy......#15, #17 or #18 1/2??

Just a couple of weeks ago got my Mark Twain Demo Limited Edition. Indeed the sac is just secured by an o´ring to the neck of the body. Tried to fill it the first time, half of the ink went into the sac, the other hal into the barrel. To dissasemble it just warmed up the thread with my wife´s hair dryer. Cleaned everything very well, tried everything again a couple of times with only the o´ring. That definitely does not work, mine came with nothing else besides the o´ring. Got it working, but getting Shellac here in Guatemala has been a pain. First tried with a clear RTV Silicone, didn´t seal. Used contact cement and now its working. The one thing I am afraid is that with time the contact cement will damage the awesome finish or something. So right now I am trying to order some shellac and some sacs from eBay. The only thing left is what size is the one I need to buy......#15, #17 or #18 1/2??

So sorry to hear it.

Its size, combined with one of the smoothest nibs I've ever owned, still makes mine one of my favourite pens.

If all else fails you could do what I did . . . https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/315036-conklin-mark-twain-crescent-any-experiences/?p=3728247

Yeah its actually my favorite pen, in my newbie words, it writes incredibly. That is why I am trying to get the sac thing as perfect as I can.

Bought a blacked chased model a few ago and HATE it. Ink continually seeps from the section. No fixes I have tried have worked to solve the problem. Just another pen regret, I suppose. Every Conklin pen I've purchased has been an unusable lemon. Hope may spring eternal but I can't begin to say how disappointed I am with this brand and model.

Edited by jameswatts

I think the Mark Twain is perhaps the most successful re-creation the new Conklin did. I really like mine, but found the nibs run a little finer than expected and that very long rubber sac is a bit fussy about which inks it will play nice with. Some inks - as mentioned above - seem to run right out of it.

• 2 years later...

I do not have the ability to write a full review of this pen, but I will say that ----"I LOVE IT!" --- Could be a little heavy and large for a small hand. Love it. C. Skinner