So the next step up for me, naturally seemed to be the TWSBI 540 Diamond with a Fine nib. It came in the mail today, and here are my thoughts.
- I like the brown box it comes in. Having the logo on top instead of a blank box already tells you this company cares about the details:
- The inside is padded so you can be assured that your pen arrived safely:
- The case that the pen sits in is pretty great. It reminds me of the Apple Magic Mouse case (http://designapplaus...pple-magic2.png):
- I love that the packaging is simple. They don't put too much on the back either:
- Up until now, I'm thoroughly impressed with the packaging. I work at a company that takes product packaging very seriously and so I like to see another company give so much attention to detail. But, and now I'm just being nitpicky, I didn't like having to get the tape off:
The Magic Mouse packaging solves this problem not by removing the tape altogether, but by having a tiny sliver of it not glued to the box, that way, it's easier to take off. But, I'm just trying to find something wrong at this point
- Opening the box, you're greeted with the pen sitting on top of two plastic pieces, very reminiscent of Japanese sword cases:
- And the bottom of the pen:
- An obligatory shot of the nib:
So how does it write, especially compared to my Safari? In one word, wet. This pen lays down a lot more ink than the Safari does. And I enjoy that! So far I've used Private Reserve Black Magic Blue in it. Using that in my Safari yielded a much lighter color, and I'm a fan of darker colors.
- The same ink in my Lamy Safari vs the TWSBI 540 (the last two lines are with the 540, don't mind the terrible handwriting):
Overall, I like this pen. Although I'll probably have to try an EF nib since this one lays down more ink than the Safari, I think I'll use this pen quite a bit.
This was my first time writing a review. Hopefully, I gave *some* new information that hasn't been covered before and helped make someone's decision easier. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.
Edited by rajatbhardwaj, 14 June 2012 - 20:13.