Conway Stewart - Marlborough Vintage Limited Edition

markos741

Lovely pen, Congratulations, one of the finest Conway Stewart Limited Editions, in my opinion.

Any photos of this pen next to a Churchill? University Graduation (my son) coming next year and the Churchill was my pick, but the Marlborough is exceptional.

Thanks for this post.

cheers!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markos741

• penmanila

• stevlight

• Silent Speaker

Lovely pen, Congratulations, one of the finest Conway Stewart Limited Editions, in my opinion.

Any photos of this pen next to a Churchill? University Graduation (my son) coming next year and the Churchill was my pick, but the Marlborough is exceptional.

Thanks for this post.

cheers!

Thank you!

I don't own a classic Churchill pen. I have the Chartwell limited edition and the next photos are of this pen next to the Marlborough.

Before you choose, bear in mind that these are two very different pens. The Marlborough is an Ebonite, light pen, quite smaller than the heavy, big Chartwell. The same comparison is valid for the Churchill, which is very different from the Marlborough as well.

A pen is a very personal thing. I wouldn't know what to recommend for your son, so I hope these photos help you pick the right one for him.

post-86966-0-20855000-1340310406.jpg

post-86966-0-33521300-1340310417.jpg

post-86966-0-94660500-1340310427.jpg

- Markos

The comparison photos are much appreciated. That is an impressive pair, and possibly a rare opportunity to see together, considering the Chartwell is limited to a production of only 50 pens and the beautiful Marlborough Vintage, to 300 pens.

Thank You for my food for thought. :happyberet:

Edit to add: The personal comparison photos are best, seeing the MB 149, and the Chartwell, next to the Marlborough Vintage, plus the pen in hand, very helpful. I was unaware of a page, at the Conway Stewart website, that is also useful for studying individual pen specs, each model represented in a column of photos.

http://www.conwaystewart.com/pendetails.php?pen=archive

Good for Conway Stewart. A helpful, user-friendly web-site is a crucial part of current marketing. Got me thinking maybe I need a new CW pen. :thumbup:

And then I noticed the same page pinned at the top of the subjects list for this Forum. :headsmack:

Thanks again.

Edited by karmakoda

A pen that looked like the Marlborough but was the size of a Churchill would be nice...

A pen that looked like the Marlborough but was the size of a Churchill would be nice...

My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:

+1

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I'm really giving one of these some consideration!

I've never owned one of the modern conway lever fillers, but I wonder, is it any easier in regards to flushing for the changing inks than vintage levers? (because my oh my can that be a real pain)

So with the Marlborough, can one unscrew the nib for ease of cleaning or something, or is it best relegated to one (easy to clean out) ink?

I've never owned one of the modern conway lever fillers, but I wonder, is it any easier in regards to flushing for the changing inks than vintage levers? (because my oh my can that be a real pain)

So with the Marlborough, can one unscrew the nib for ease of cleaning or something, or is it best relegated to one (easy to clean out) ink?

In fact lever fillers are a pain to clean but the nib of this model can be easily unscrewed and cleaning is quite easy.

- Markos

In fact lever fillers are a pain to clean but the nib of this model can be easily unscrewed and cleaning is quite easy.

Delightful!

Thank you for this information!

Still, it's a hard choice between the Visconti HS (bronze) and the C-S:MV... the former could be had for significantly less as well.

And if the Marly,then red or blue? Tis the eternal question! No more black pens for me. I have a feeling that the rose would win out... decisions, decisions!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On another note, can anyone comment on how well modern CS sac-fillers hold up in tropical climates? I really do worry about my vintage pens - all this heat and humidity can't be good for them (and isn't there a reason why there were so many Indian and Japanese eyedroppers?)

mark0s741,

As I mentioned before (look up, look up), I have the lever fill, and it seems to be much easier to fill and clean that my vintage LF's.

Conway Stewart said that they made improvements to their lever fill, but I am not sure what these are. All I know is that mine will fill and expell water or ink at about the same rate as most piston fillers. The LF is one of the reasons that I got the pen since there are so few of them in modern pens, and I love the look of the lever on the side of the pen.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 4 weeks later...

great pen indeed :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review!

I have one of these on the way from Bryant @ Pentime. Can't wait. A quick question / observation though:

In all of the images of this pen posted, it appears that the cap posts crooked. Is the pen so long, that it's distorting in the lens of the camera, or is there something odd there?

Thanks for the review!

I have one of these on the way from Bryant @ Pentime. Can't wait. A quick question / observation though:

In all of the images of this pen posted, it appears that the cap posts crooked. Is the pen so long, that it's distorting in the lens of the camera, or is there something odd there?

Thanks for the feedback!

The lens is distorting it, but bear in mind that when posted the pen is really really long. You can still use it because it is ultra-light but it looks funny :) I use it un-posted.

I guess they've done that because if the cap posted deeper onto the barrel, it would cover the lever.

Congratulations for the purchase. Now I'm using the Marlborough with the 1.1 IF nib from my Chartwell (they're interchangeable) and I love it. Great pen, very nice looking, easy to carry around and light. It has now easily become one of my favorite pens of my collection and I use it very often.

- Markos

• 1 month later...

i saw and handled not one but two marlboroughs yesterday, thanks to a friend in our local pen club here in manila. i have a churchill that's become my daily companion, but i fell in love at first sight with the marlborough, which should be the perfect pocket pen.

so i've just ordered one from pengallery in malaysia (they don't stock it, but can order one from the factory)--in woodgrain, lever filler, with an IB nib. it'll take about a month to get to me, but that's okay--it'll give me time to sell some pens to make up for the new hit on my credit card (lemme see... a duofold big red, a vacumatic OS, an aurora talentum... )

Check out my blog and my pens

i saw and handled not one but two marlboroughs yesterday, thanks to a friend in our local pen club here in manila. i have a churchill that's become my daily companion, but i fell in love at first sight with the marlborough, which should be the perfect pocket pen.

so i've just ordered one from pengallery in malaysia (they don't stock it, but can order one from the factory)--in woodgrain, lever filler, with an IB nib. it'll take about a month to get to me, but that's okay--it'll give me time to sell some pens to make up for the new hit on my credit card (lemme see... a duofold big red, a vacumatic OS, an aurora talentum... )

I've posted this review about 8 months ago.

After the first impressions, a good pen shows its qualities and its flaws as time passes on.

I can assure you that this has become one of my all time favorite pens. I love everything about it and I doubt that I'll get the same emotions by another pen anytime soon.

Congrats for your purchase! I'm sure you'll love it!

- Markos

i've always wanted to have a lever filler...first i was thinking to get a vintage one but i'm always afraid because i know nothing in them and so this one can be an issue,as long i haven't got any conway actualy and i love his design

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

i've always wanted to have a lever filler...first i was thinking to get a vintage one but i'm always afraid because i know nothing in them and so this one can be an issue,as long i haven't got any conway actualy and i love his design

Same here. I would love to own a vintage pen, I will one day :), but this is one of the best looking lever fillers I've seen, including the vintage ones.

So go for it ;)

- Markos

I've been thinking about this pen for quite a while since it became on sale. I'd like to know of anyone that has the eyedropper (ED) version. What is the ink capacity of the ED version? Also, I take it the ED version would not have a lever, if it does I presume its cosemetic (obviously)...

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

it's the question i was asking myself...they have 300 pens of each finish but what for the different filling possibilities?they have 100 ED 100 LF and 100c/c??i think they have more lever fill as it is the most attractive in this case

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

it's the question i was asking myself...they have 300 pens of each finish but what for the different filling possibilities?they have 100 ED 100 LF and 100c/c??i think they have more lever fill as it is the most attractive in this case

Good question,

Only CS can answer that I guess :)

- Markos