The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vacumatic Repair - The Journey Begins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:19

Hi all!

That's it. I've decided to run the gauntlet and repair my broken Vacumatic. I bought this one (pics below!) off a fellow FPNner about a while ago knowing it wasn't holding ink, but I figured I'd send it in for repair and hopefully have a fully functional pen for cheap... Well, reality has a nasty way of kicking in when you least expect it and the sheer price of sending a pen overseas from Australia for repair far outweighs any saving I would have made, so I figured that if I'm already going to invest money into making this Vac functional, why not learn a few skills and buy a few tools on the way?
:eureka:

So, any advice on the required toolset? Of course I've read the articles on Richard Binder's and Ron Zorn's site, and also just ordered 'Da Book', but I want to know you guys' take on it!
I managed to get the filler out without any fancy implements since it wasn't screwed in all that tightly. I can see that the diaphragm is quite worn and a new one will be needed. This Vac also needs quite a good polish... It has quite a shallow but noticeable scratch on it that would be nice to buff away, as well as a multitude of microscratches...

And thus the journey begins.:happyberet:

A "before" pic of the 'patient'

Posted Image
This nib looks like it's semiflex EF, only minimal pressure spreads the tines! :cloud9:

Posted Image

Great transparency... This baby NEEDS to be used.

Posted Image

The sorry state of the diaphragm...:sick:

Posted Image

I'll be sure to update you all on the progress of this repair!

[Apologies for the terrible photography, my good camera needs a recharge... But not bad for a phone camera, huh?]
Thanks for all your help :clap1:

ytland

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Ytland, 12 June 2012 - 07:24.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Yanks27

Yanks27

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:25

I have a Vac that I'm waiting on delivery and will need a new sac as well.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:05

With transparency like that, I would avoid any of the boutique inks or super saturated inks because they will stain the inside of the barrel. A more gentle ink like Pelikan blue will help to preserve the transparency.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:23

congrats and good luck on taking the plunge. i've found the vacumatic repair kit from woodbin (in canada) more than adequate for restoring many of my vacs, and it's not too expensive, either--about what you'd pay for a working vac major:

http://www.woodbin.c...NibsJewels.html

Check out my blog and my pens

#5 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 00:04

Thanks Ron and Penmanilla for your replies!

I'll be sure not to use aggressive inks in this one, thanks for the heads up. It's interesting that it's so easy to stain a Vac barrel, they seem so durable in every other way from what I've read on FPN. I'll probably limit the ink to J Herbin EdS, which doesn't seem to me like an especially aggressive ink.

Penmanilla, I appreciate the link :thumbup:. Ive actually contacted the woodbin for payment on a bunch of stuff I want to buy now, but haven't got an email confirming payment yet... That intro Vac repair kit looks very tempting... :puddle:

Regards
ytland

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#6 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 00:10

I have a Vac that I'm waiting on delivery and will need a new sac as well.

Yanks27, I hope you enjoy the pen! I've used a Vac before but I sold it to fund another purchase. They're some pretty sweet pens! I'm sure that once you get it repaired you will be a very happy (if now hopelessly addicted...) Vac user. If you don't want to repair it yourself, there are plenty of eager and skilled repairmen waiting to do it for you, such as Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens who has replied to this thread above.

Good luck :)

EDITed to remove a ridiculously large amount of exclamation marks. I shouldn't yell when I type :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by Ytland, 13 June 2012 - 00:12.

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#7 inkthefinks

inkthefinks

Vintage Junky

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 00:28

IMO, there is nothing more satisfying in this hobby than restoring a pen yourself. I've never sent one out to a pro, and I probably never will. My first Vac was a challenge, but it gets easier every time. You will also be able to restore Vac-filling "51"s with the same tools and skills... good luck!
Down with crummy pens!

Sponsored Content

|