The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Connaisseur

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 14:09

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Top to bottom: Sheaffer Valor, Lamy Safari, Sheaffer Connaisseur, Parker "51", Pelikan M200

Posted Image

-Derek

Edited by ThirdeYe, 10 June 2012 - 20:26.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Sponsored Content

#2 varmas

varmas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 15:17

Edit: Is it supposed to be spelled Connoisseur or Connaisseur? It didn't come with the box, so I'm not really sure.

-Derek

Dear Derek,
it's Connaisseur (French). Why? I don't know as the pens were only made in USA and England (only Grande Conns.).

I collect Connaisseurs and in about 30 years of FP pen usage I haven't found a pen that I love more. If you are starting on these the production models are easy enough to acquire. Then you'll want the prototypes and limited runs and those are a bugger :) BTW, if you do find the original grey boxes handle them with care - the covering peels and stick everywhere much like the Waterman Edson boxes.

The pens only came as FPs and BPs. Pencils were prototypes. To date there are only 2 examples I know of. A gold plated model owned by the late Dennis Bowden and a sterling silver model owned by me.

Go to Gary Ellison's site http://www.sheaffert...rence list.html for a detailed reading on the subject. He and Dennis are the last word on Connaisseurs.

Stay well,
Solomon

Edited by varmas, 10 June 2012 - 15:21.

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

#3 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 16:04

Solomon,

Thanks for the information and the link. That chased model at the top of that page looks amazing!

All the best,
Derek
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 16:55

Nice review Derek. I'd like to see the nib, I like mono-toned gold nibs.

BTW, if you hold the camera so the back is parallel to the surface the pens are on you'll avoid keystoning like that.

#5 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 19:47

BTW, if you hold the camera so the back is parallel to the surface the pens are on you'll avoid keystoning like that.

I will do a re-shoot of the pictures when I get a chance. :) the comparison photo turned out to be less than informative because of the poor depth perception. I will try doing it straight above the pens this time. I'll also take a picture of the nib.

Best,
Derek
Derek's Pens and Pencils

#6 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:27

I have updated the original post with the new pictures. I tried my best to take one of the nib using the close-up macro on my camera, but it would turn out blurry no matter how steady I held my hand... so I picked the best of the worst. My apologies!

Derek
Derek's Pens and Pencils

#7 RodneyOK

RodneyOK

Sheaffers!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:44

Thanks for the review! I really love writing with the Sheaffer 18K nibs. The Connaisseur is a great pen too. Posted Image
- Rod

#8 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:28

nice review!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:48

I testwrote one connaisseur a while back and it was a positive experience
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,893 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:21

Interesting pen, nice review!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

|