Devil's Dictionary

plistumi

This is just stunning...every time I see something like you all are doing here, I have to wonder--can drawing be learned, or is it just one of those things you have or you don't? Because I definitely don't, but I sometimes think I'd be willing to put in the effort if it meant I could cultivate it to a degree.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plistumi

• amberleadavis

• ethernautrix

• Newjelan

This is just stunning...every time I see something like you all are doing here, I have to wonder--can drawing be learned, or is it just one of those things you have or you don't? Because I definitely don't, but I sometimes think I'd be willing to put in the effort if it meant I could cultivate it to a degree.

I dunno. I can draw, and always have been able to. But I'm a draftsman. I can draw stuff if it's in front of me (and if it isn't quite what I need I can tweak it somewhat). But I can't do illustration at all -- I can't draw stuff out of my head and am totally jealous of people who have that sort of talent. And most of the drawing I do these days is in pencil and then inked over with a rollerball pen; I haven't tried doing it with a fountain pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I teach chemistry. I see all kinds of native abilities. Some kids get it, some kids get it after a little effort, and some kids don't get it, will never get it. We do have hard wired abilities.

Years ago, I took up the classical guitar. I practiced religiously for 5 years, sometimes 4 hours a day. At the end of the 5 years, I gave it up. I just was not musical.

I'm like you. The drawings that I see in this thread amaze me. I see this at school as well. Some kids drawing cartoons, and what not are so good, naturally.

We have to accept our limitations. I am going to leave teaching after next year and I will miss it. What I won't miss is the political correctness that governs how we communicate with the kids. A student that can't divide by 10 without a calculator and wants to become an orthopedic surgeon should be told that it isn't possible...... Sigh....The Devil's Dictionary has brought out the devil in me....... :ltcapd:

I have a suspicion you're completely right on this issue, rodrigaj. I know you're right on the hard-wired abilities point.

I will have to learn to be satisfied with my skills as a first rate ferret wrangler and second rate maker-upper-of-stories. :)

I agree that everyone has different abilities. Drawing comes easier to me than music so I, like rodrigaj, gave up the guitar after 9 years (I still have it just in case....). That being said, I am not an artist but I am a visual person (as evidenced by my choice of profession, pathology. I look at diseases. I recognize disease patterns in the microscope.) Drawing is just a hobby which I had "left in a forgotten trunk" for many years and have decided to retrieve it from there. With this Devil's Dictionary exercise, I hope to get better at drawing from my mind. Right now I can come up with an idea of how I want to illustrate a word, but to translate that mental image to a drawing I have to look up images or pictures in order to figure out how to draw them. (i.e. I looked up a lot of cows and large bellies for the 2d abdomen drawing; I studied many turtles for ABRUPT below but this one did not translate as well as other sketches).

As to telling a person something is not possible, I have mixed feelings about that. It may save some people from grief, but it might encourage others to still pursue their dream. I was told my by academic advisor in college I could not enter medical school and that I should consider another career (she suggested design of textile patterns). Well, her statement made my desire to study medicine stronger. She was sure I would not make it to medical school (my grades were not the best, but I was at an ivy league school for goodness sake!). Well, not only did I make it to medical school, but I have been a professor at an ivy league school (but I am not hard-wired for academics). I prefer to dabble in too many other things as opposed to only pathology. Had my advisor not told me I could not go to medical school, I might not have made it. Who knows? But I digress....

Here is ABRUPT:

fpn_1340400143__abrupt_01.jpg

fpn_1340400194__abrupt_02.jpg

Waterman 452 1/2 with Diamine Ancient Copper. Looking forward to seeing others' interpretations.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

A another "A" break. This time I had a Sesame Street moment... A is for "APPLE" B is for "BAAL" and G is for GUILLOTINE!

fpn_1340546075__guillotine_01.jpg

fpn_1340546143__guillotine_o1.jpg

And along those thoughts, here is BAAL:

fpn_1340546400__baal.jpg

fpn_1340546435__baal_02.jpg

Edited by plistumi

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

Somebody

These are stunning!

Do you get bulk discount on inks from Goulet :roflmho:

These are stunning!

Do you get bulk discount on inks from Goulet :roflmho:

Ha ha, Stompie. No, but I wish. These are samples of inks that I bought from the Goulets and from Pear Tree Pen (I miss them). This is a good way to test the inks, you know? Writing, drawing, and smudging (I have been doing a lot of that lately).

Here are ABSCOND and ABSENT. With these words, I am proud to say that we are on the third page. For ABSOND I meant to draw a squirrel, but somehow it morphed into magpie. :blush:

fpn_1340560008__abcond_absent.jpg

Somebody

Here's ABSENTEE:

fpn_1340634900__absentee.jpg

Edited by plistumi

Somebody

I thought the same many years ago, and then stumbled upon this book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and I was amazed at what I eventually learned. There is a web site http://www.drawright.com/, and it gives you a taste of what the book and the process is about, (they are trying to sell you stuff), but if you can go to the library and take it out for free I would recommend it. It is especially great to do when you are on holiday and are spending time sitting around... :lol:

cheers

george

Edited by macjager

Here is ABSTAINER:

fpn_1340721929__abstainer.jpg

And ABSURDITY, ACADEME and ACADEMY:

fpn_1340722008__absurdity_academe_academy.jpg

Somebody

An ACCIDENT is coming up.

fpn_1340808004__accident.jpg

Along with ACCOMPLICE and ACCORD.

fpn_1340808052__aacomplice_accord.jpg

Somebody

Here is ACCORDION. I drew this one back on May. The ink is Pilot Iroshizuku murasaki shikibu.

fpn_1340929003__accordion.jpg

Somebody

ACCOUNTABILITY and ACCUSE are the next words.

fpn_1340929698__accountability_accuse.jpg

ACEPHALOUS wiped my brain out.

fpn_1340930150__acephalous.jpg

Somebody

I keep peeking in here while I am working for my daily dose of joy. Love the Iroshizuku murasaki shikibu.

I keep peeking in here while I am working for my daily dose of joy. Love the Iroshizuku murasaki shikibu.

+1

I'm doing the same thing. and I'll occasionally copy a picture into an emaill and send it to a co-worker

Haha, me too. Love these texts and drawings and have saved a few pictures on my iPad for inspiration and reference.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I am glad you are enjoying the picture and the book. It is one of my favorite books and makes me laugh. Anybody else want to chip in with the drawings? This morning I have ACHIEVEMENTand ACKNOWLEDGE. These were really fun to draw. :rolleyes:

fpn_1340976133__achievement_acknowledge.jpg

Somebody

I'm amazed of what people can still do, but I'm also sad that they are fewer and fewer.

It is time for ACQUAINTANCE, ACTUALLY and ADAGE.

fpn_1341066148__acquaintance_02.jpg

fpn_1341066179__actually_adage.jpg

Somebody