The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 15:55

I'm loved this colour since the moment I watched the video on Goulet Pens site. It's the kind of blue I was looking for, a beautiful, vibrant, saturated true blue. I ordered a bottle the first day, and I'm really happy with the product.

Yes, I'm aware of the polemics about its waterproofness and bulletproofness. I wouldn't call this ink waterproof, personally, because some soaking can make the text difficult to read, but it's an ink that remains on paper even after extended immersion in water, so I can understand the logic behind the waterproof denomination it has been given. Anyways, if I want truly waterproofness, I have my Noodler's Polar Black or my Pharmacist's Iron Gall Ink. My Noodler"s LE is simply a very beautiful ink for me, at a very reasonable price.

Ink review - Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

The waterproofness was interesting. Lots of dye begins to flow as soon as a drop of water touches it, making if difficult to read. But no matter of much water, there is always enough ink on the paper to be able to read the text. In fact, it can be read better after an extended immersion (like the doodling and text in bottom right of the page) than after only some drops of water (like some words at the middle-right of the page, that were splashed with water during the immersion test.

Anyways, I can only say that I love this ink :)

As usual, I've posted a copy of this review on my blog.

Edited by LostInBrittany, 07 June 2012 - 15:59.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 16:26

I just got a sample of this but haven't had a chance to try it in anything yet.
What a gorgeous color -- and I had no idea that it would shade. *Really* looking forward to trying it now -- I just have to clean something out.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 16:46

I also ordered this right away, though a big part was my mistaken impression of waterproofness. I do not have checks and am not thinking about forgers trying to attack my signatures with bleach, so I chose this instead of Noodler's Blue (which I got a sample of) and Noodler's Eel, which I accidentally forgot to add to my cart, along with PR American Blue and whatever else may be out there in this range. All of them seem to get equally nasty when touched with a bit of incidental moisture, which is an occasional (and more frequent as the summer progresses) hazard for me...too bad.

I have other waterproof inks too, and so I will probably just use them instead in the short term. Problem is, I did not want to buy a bottle of ink that I would not use. The fact that I have waterproof inks does not change my feelings about Liberty's Elysium. If I were just starting out and looking for my first bottle of ink and wanted something waterproof, this would have been #1 on my list. I am a stupid impulse buyer and when I see that first layer or marketing, sometimes I black out only to discover an order confirmation from the Goulets a few minutes later. The whole thing could have been much clearer right away, but instead you had to dig a bit to discover that it wasn't actually really waterproof the way you think when one says "waterproof" (or "bulletproof", which again has a reasonable popular connotation even though its real definition is quite different). I'm not suggesting that was intentional; I think it was an unfortunate oversight.

I need to experiment with the ink and find what nibs I can get it to look good from. If I can find the right combination of a crisp fine line with apparent shading, it may be a daily non-waterproof ink for me. The color is indeed nice, so it may be a worthy choice if the behavior is on par with other blues in the same range. I have not had wonderful luck with it so far, but I have only tried it in one pen.

Thanks for the review!
Robert.

#4 Colors

Colors

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 18:29

I love this blue too....gorgeous color!

#5 MyDarnSnakeLegs

MyDarnSnakeLegs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 21:04

I need to experiment with the ink and find what nibs I can get it to look good from. If I can find the right combination of a crisp fine line with apparent shading, it may be a daily non-waterproof ink for me. The color is indeed nice, so it may be a worthy choice if the behavior is on par with other blues in the same range. I have not had wonderful luck with it so far, but I have only tried it in one pen.

Thanks for the review!

I put this in three pens right away when I got it (I'll post a review eventually), and it really does seem to work better in some pens than others. My Ahab lets it shade really well, but it writes too wet, and it bleeds and feathers on cheaper papers (but it is way more water-resistant). My Lamy Vista with a medium nib makes the color look way less saturated, and it seems to write a wider line than I think it should. I don't know why, but it writes a bit dry in that pen. In my Hero 330, though, I get a really good flow, color, some shading, and no bleeding. I don't know what you tried it in, but that Hero I use is a really fine point.
My Blog: Inkdependence!

#6 R A Miller

R A Miller

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:22

Thanks for the review LostInBrittany. I love blue inks and I'm always looking to add another blue that has the potential for shading. I'm definitely going to give LE a try.

How is pen clean-up with LE? Does it wash out easily with water?

Rick M

Posted Image

#7 fountainpen7

fountainpen7

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:55

It looks to be a very nice colour, and who would have knew, Goulet blue!

#8 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:10

I definitely wouldn't call that waterproof.
Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#9 mrul

mrul

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 13:55

Nice color, useful review. Thanks!

#10 Rabbit713

Rabbit713

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:57

I just tried a sample of this, and love the color.  I'm especially impressed with how much shading it offers.  I can't wait to get a bottle and try it out with a few different nibs.  

Check out my blog about bikes and beer!  

http://velobrew.tumblr.com

#11 iveyman

iveyman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 16:08

I love this ink. I ink it in 4 of my pens which I use to write daily. It is my favourite blue ink.

#12 MannyBA

MannyBA

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 16:33

This is my favorite blue ink. Loaded on my TWSBI VAC700

#13 Morphling27

Morphling27

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 17:31

This is a very nice looking blue.  Blue ink is one of my favorites and I've always gravitated towards brighter blues than the dark/navy/blackish ones. 

#14 Sham69

Sham69

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:30

rhodia 80 gram paper has no chance with this ink to write back to back

not even clairefontaine can deal with this ink in a 1.1mm stub, the bleed through is truly ridiculous. 

#15 msolok

msolok

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:08

rhodia 80 gram paper has no chance with this ink to write back to back
not even clairefontaine can deal with this ink in a 1.1mm stub, the bleed through is truly ridiculous.

Something strange going on there. I have been using this ink for a month or so and seen no issues with it bleeding through the cheap Daiso and Typo papers I have been using.
But to be sure I just inked up a wet 1.1 stub I have with it and tested it on a Rhodia 16 pad (standard, not the heavier R pad). No feathering or show through. So I did all I could to MAKE it bleed (about 3 thick layers of ink,so much that the paper was soaked and ripping a bit. Even with that there is only a tiny bit spot of bleed through and next to no show through. The back of the page is more than useable.

What pen and nib are you using that this ink is unuseable on Rhodia and Clairefontaine (both of which are considered to be some of the most ink stable paper around)?

Currently collection:Lamy Safari's x5, Lamy Al Star's x3, Lamy Studio's x2, A Lamy 2000, Kaweco Sports/AL Sports x7, Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab) x10, Noodlers Konrad Ebonite x2, Hero 616 x10, Reform 1745 x10, Sailor 1911m x2, Sailor 1911 Realo x3, Sailor Pro Gear Realo x2, Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black, Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver, Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice (M Dreamtouch Nib), Visconti Opera Elements x3 (Amber and Black with M Dreamtouch Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Montblanc 146 Le Grande... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

#16 Sham69

Sham69

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:46

Something strange going on there. I have been using this ink for a month or so and seen no issues with it bleeding through the cheap Daiso and Typo papers I have been using.
But to be sure I just inked up a wet 1.1 stub I have with it and tested it on a Rhodia 16 pad (standard, not the heavier R pad). No feathering or show through. So I did all I could to MAKE it bleed (about 3 thick layers of ink,so much that the paper was soaked and ripping a bit. Even with that there is only a tiny bit spot of bleed through and next to no show through. The back of the page is more than useable.

What pen and nib are you using that this ink is unuseable on Rhodia and Clairefontaine (both of which are considered to be some of the most ink stable paper around)?

using a twsbi vac 700, also used a visconti homo sapiens, both are wet writers yes, however my staple blue Kon-peki and tsuki-yo do not show a hint of show through here let me take some photos ! i also find it strange, if only i had a dry stub to give it a go in

#17 Sham69

Sham69

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:49

IMG_1473.jpg90 gram no.18 rhodia

IMG_1474.jpgclairefontaine

Sponsored Content

|