Visconti Palladium Nibs

delvecchio

Visconti Palladium nibs

Historical background

Since the foundation of Visconti I wanted my brand to be significantly different from all the others and being remembered to have delivered the new into the pen market.

Just keep in mind that the first pen Visconti made in 1988 was called Classic in true celluloid, a material unknown for most of the people, at that time.

Although I have re-discovered celluloid I have not invented it!

As a pen collector I noticed that many brands at nowadays (1988) were recalling in shape and decorations to vintage brands (I avoid to mention the names), well, I said, this will not happened to Visconti!

I do not need to remind to you all the innovations I have created, is enough to say that I have over 20 patents registered in my name.

In 1998 Bock offered me a Platinum 800 nib. I have launched with Susanna of Giardino Italiano, the pen Empire that was made for this nib. Many customer called me to ask “why a Platinum nib”. Platinum nib was good but stiff and its cost was triple than a gold nib. I was so stupid to pay 3 times more for a nib that was worse than an 18 kt gold, for the sole reason that was unique.

Enzo Ferrari founded his brand because he wanted the best exactly like I did, for other people there are Fiat, Ford etc etc. Some brands exist because they are different other brands exactly for the opposite reason. Both can be very successful or very unsuccessful , this is not the point.

Research and Development

At the end of 2008 one of our best material suppliers told me that they found a new Palladium formula for easy welding and they were suppling a watch company. It took 2 years of tests to find the way of lamination and when I called mr Bock announcing him the new material he was enthusiast to work in a project that will remain as the last in his long and successful life.

Mr. Bock was for me more than just a supplier; since I visited him in his old factory in 1987 he was fascinated from the project of a new brand and we have worked togheter for a life.

In 2002 for Bock 60th anniversary of business , togheter with all major german brands, Visconti was the sole Italian company attending the event in Heidelberg .

My experience with Platinum was very helpful and , developing the project to find the right mixture of flexibility and memory, and Bock remembered me when in 1993 we got 80 % of our superflex nibs 18 kt destroyed from the americans !!

The first Palladium nibs ever

The reason of Palladium nib is that we have been able to make a nib more precious , more flexible, more unique with superior performance.

When I had the final samples ready I called in Visconti our best Italian dealers and writers : we asked them to select the best writing nib in a choice of 10 different : 14 kt, 18 kt Gold , Pd 23 kt Visconti and also other brands that I cannot mention.

Out of 10 persons , 8 choose the palladium ! Pls notice that the nibs were unbranded, with no gold grade set all in the same type of pens (Homo Sapiens).

In our shop in Florence customers ( we have customers of 5 continents) were asked nib choice 14 Kt gold vs 23 palladium : 100 % was for palladium ( over 100 reviews).

After 35 years in pens I know that there is nothing more personal than writing, so there is space for everything from steel nibs to gold, palladium and platinum. Is possible to read your personality from your calligraphy , we are all different like fingers in a man hand.

Palladium is tough to manufacture, in the other side gold is one of the easiest to work , due to its high temperature, lamination is much harder , welding has to be more accurate but compared to a 14 kt gold the weight of Palladium is nearly double (23 vs 14), corrosion far away better also compared to 18 kt.

In a 14 kt gold nib there are 10 kts of silver and copper that are both not suitable for nibs manufacturing, and is recommended a 24 kt gold plating to avoid corrosion. 14 kt gold is the lowest gold compound usable for nibs, both 9 kt and 8 kt , recognized from international law as precious gold are not suitable for nibs due to corrosion problems. Higher compounds were used from Pelikan (20 kts) but discontinued and actually from Sailor, 21 kts, but I do not know the advantage of using such soft compound.

Now I think you have a better idea of the Palladium nibs, below I have posted the Visconti official press release.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• delvecchio

• Ghost Plane

• simp

• eric47

I cannot see said press release!

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

THE 23 ct 950 PALLADIUM DREAMTOUCH NIB

Visconti introduces the first ever DREAMTOUCH nib in 23 ct 950 Palladium .

The international classification system lists only four precious metals and their related titles: platinum, palladium, gold and silver. Of these metals Visconti has been producing 18 ct gold nibs, 14 ct gold nibs on a regular basis and some years ago also produced Platinum 800 nibs.

The advantages and disadvantages of gold nibs are well-known, while platinum nibs have proven to be excessively stiff. Although a precious metal, silver is not suitable to fountain pen nib manufacturing due to the strong corrosion ink has on silver.

Palladium though has very interesting physical features when employed in the production of fountain pen nibs due to its strength and resistance to corrosion and, for these reasons, unlike gold, it can be used almost pure.

Palladium melts at much higher temperatures than gold – 1522°C against only 1063°C – hence it is obvious that any manufacturing process is more difficult and more expensive in palladium. Being more resistant than gold it also has better mechanical features, but it is as the same time more expensive. Nowadays manufacturing palladium nibs is possible thanks to new metal fusion technologies and to the welding of iridium points.

Dreamtouch is the term Visconti registered to define a soft nib that requires no pressure whatsoever in order to write, as it traces in a gentle way thoughts and words for a dream handwriting.

Main features:

Value: the 23 ct 950 palladium nib is the nib with the highest value ever manufactured in the history of the fountain pen. In other words, it has 95% pure palladium against, for example, 75% of pure gold in an 18 ct gold nib and 58% in a 14 ct gold nib.

Flexibility and Memory: are best possible for any kind of writing, increased of 30% compared to the 18 ct gold nib.

Writing comfort and reliability are guaranteed.

Resistance: to ink corrosion increased up to 100% thanks to the pureness of the material to a point at which no plating treatment is required.

Originality: the palladium nib will render even more exclusive your Visconti, either as collection piece or as a daily use fountain pen.

Thanks for your post.

Sheaffer long used palladium alloy nibs (PdAg) and I always found them very nice, smooth, responsive and durable.

Palladium was used also by Pelikan and Montblanc (don't know if the same is true for other german brand) for a short period during WWII when in Germany the use of gold was prohibited.

They are quite rare and valuable nibs.

Don't know how many karat they were, but anyway Palladium nibs have been used in fountain pen history well before Visconti reintroduced it.

They did anyway a very good thing to reintroduce this material, their fine nib is quite flexible, better than any other modern flexible I got to try.

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

I'm a fan of the stubs and BB. They have a softer feel than the 18kts, which are still lovely.

Your older 14kt nibs were lovely. I still have an embarrassing number of pens with those nibs.

I have one request. Please do not depend on the vanishing shops to introduce people to your nibs. Here in the States, we are completely dependent on the internet to buy our pens, outside of people in a few large cities. Update your website and those of your distributors [Coles in my case] with videos demonstrating every single available nib size, writing samples on grid paper, side by side comparisons of the various pens against a ruler and the availability of nib swaps.

Granted, this board is a small percentage of users. Yet you've seen the excited enthusiam whenever you mentioned alternative options. I wish you could see the stunned fascination of people who see my pens in action and are stunned to know anything other than F and M even exists.

Innovative education and demonstration must accompany innovative pens. :eureka:

Or, to put it in plain words, stop making it so hard for people to spend money on your pens! :gaah:

Thank you for sharing, I found both Historical background and explanations very interesting. Like GhostPlane' thoughts about the lack of BAM shops, even though I live near London, I have never found a place that sells, shows a good selection of fountain pens, never seen a Visconti in real life till I made a Internet purchase; the only reason I know about Visconti pens are from the internet. These are all fantastic pens, nibs with evolving history and art that touches the heart. :)

Montblanc: 146 75th Anniversary, 147 Le Grande, Doue Solitaire

Parker: Gold Duofold Centennial, Sonnet Fougere

Visconti Bronze Homo-Sapien

Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue

[

Or, to put it in plain words, stop making it so hard for people to spend money on your pens! :gaah:

??

Gost say in other words I cannot catch you

Palladium was used also by Pelikan and Montblanc (don't know if the same is true for other german brand) for a short period during WWII when in Germany the use of gold was prohibited.

Don't know how many karat they were, but anyway Palladium nibs have been used in fountain pen history well before Visconti reintroduced it.

They did anyway a very good thing to reintroduce this material, their fine nib is quite flexible, better than any other modern flexible I got to try.

Simone

Bock had no memory of these nibs and I have never seen or red about them. I have most of pen books published and I do not remember any photo of them.

They must be very rare.

If made in 950 palladium they must me marked with the title, the international law of precious materials did not changed so much.

If they were mixture of different metals they resamble more a steel nib because by the law title is not recognized.

Why you do not post a photo?

Edited by delvecchio

??

Gost say in other words I cannot catch you

People who would like to spend money on your pens have a hard time getting information from your site. Or even those who DO buy, find misinformation on how to fill the pens or even use them. You really need something similar to this: http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_of_Knowledge_s/1130.htm

Only it needs to be specific to YOUR pens.

Then set up the website so that it shows each pen available as well as all the nibs available for that pen. Do NOT take information about your older pens off the site, as many of us are only able to obtain some models when the pens are 10 years old or more.

Make it VERY easy for people to find and buy your pens. Make sure they learn what sets them apart and makes them innovative. Then show them how wonderful they are. Once we see them, understand them, and appreciate them, we fall in love and BUY.

Those beautiful nibs and ALL the wonderful sizes they come in are a huge selling point for Visconti.

Even though I used fountain pens my entire life, I never collected them until I bought a B nibbed Pericle. It was YOUR pens that became an addiction. But I not because I walked into a pen store. They don't exist here! I had to order one off the internet and use it for myself. THAT is the reality of most sales here in the U.S.

Not every person who uses a Visconti will buy 40 or more. :embarrassed_smile: But until you convince them to try one, they will not buy the higher end pens. I own 6 Ripples today. And all because of that one decision to try a Pericle, which was the most expensive pen I'd ever bought until then.

I bought your pens in spite of the lack of marketing once I tried one. But it took me years to track them down and learn what nibs were available and what size I preferred. If I had more information about your pens earlier [these were the years before Ken Jones and Bryant Greer], I would have even more. :headsmack:

Don't make it so difficult!

I think Ghost Plane has point there.

In my country, the Netherlands, shops with a large collection of fountain pens (and with knowledgeable staff) are getting more and more scarce. The fountain pen shop in the city where I live, closed a few years ago.

Internet is now my main source of pen and inks.

I don't own a Visconti pen yet, but the pens with a palladium nib are high on my wishlist. And if I won the lottery, I would buy all Van Gogh versions. ;-)

Let me support Ghost Plane.

The closest store that really sells fountain pens where there is anyone that might know anything about any fountain pen is over 400km away from me. That's about like living outside Milan and having to drive to Rome to find the closest store that sells fountain pens.

Being able to find specific data on current and older model pens online is about the only way I can discover a new pen.

Thanks Dante, for taking time to tell us why you believe palladium is superior to gold for fountain pen nibs. I can't wait to try one!

I found it very interesting that you performed blind tests of the various materials. (This method also produces interesting results with wines) ... This is a good way to overcome the biases of familiarity and habit, and focus on actual performance.

I love your pens, especially the simple, classic designs like Opera. The creativity and innovation of your company is inspiring. Keep up the good work!

-- MJ

my wall street LE's 1.3mm palladium stub nib is to die for--never fails to draw a smile from my face every time i write with it. absolute pleasure! :)

Check out my blog and my pens

I tried several palladium nibs which are far to be truely flexible as were and are nibs from the older mb 149 nibs from the 50's-late 70's or m 1000 or omas paragon extra flessible nibs. The palladium nib is soft but it can't be used as a flex nib. The only palladium nibbed model that got close to my older vintage 149s was the very very limited arachnis made for Mr Mora's shop to 5 examples.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Google...

Werner Rüttinger- Pelikan Speciality nibs - under "Palladium nib". Rüttinger indicates, at least for the IBIS Pd nib, that it was a Pd-Ag alloy.

Werner Rüttinger - Pelikan nib engravings - Pelikan Pd nib, under "Palladium and Chrom Nickel Steel". Right below that section, in "Rappen and IBIS nibs" you can see the IBIS Pd nib again.

FPN - Montblanc Pd nib - photo of the MB Pd nib on a 138.

------

Dante, thanks for posting the information and history. It's the sort of thing that interesting and fascinating that one often doesn't hear about.

As I mentioned in the Did Visconti Really Stop Making Gold Nibs? thread, I've tried almost every Pd nib -- in a Homo Sapiens calligraphy kit. While almost all were soft, I find them "mushy" soft -- the tines open and close easily but slowly. They lack the quick close -- the quick recoil -- of vintage flex nibs. Nonetheless that's true of all the current nibs I've tried marketed (or not) as "flexible", i.e. Visconti Pd, Stipula Ti, Sailor (I think on a Falcon), Omas Extra Flessible 14K, Omas Emotica Ti, and Omas T2 Ti.

On the other hand almost all the Visconti Pd EF nibs I tried were very rigid, and the F and EFs wrote as nearly wide as the M. (The only EF Pd nib I tried that was super rigid and wrote like a old Visconti EF was at the showroom in Florence.)

As far as the big Visconti nibs go, I prefer the old 14K and 18Ks --- the older the better. There's a lot more tipping material on the nibs in recent years -- big blobs, under and over the nib; I find them rather dead and lifeless compared to those made 5-10 years ago. That's actually not a comment solely about Visconti nibs; I've see it as well on other manufacturers' nibs, e.g. Pelikan. (Are they doing it that for users coming from ballpoints who hold they're pens more upright like a flagpole?)

I'll take a (more) rigid nib without the big blog of tipping material, over a soft/flexible nib with a big blob. Just seems they don't make them like they used to.

-----

Simone, the best modern nibs I've tried and own that come close to vintage flex and semi-flex nibs are the old inhouse Omas 14K nibs before they switched to 18K -- I suspect they 1980s-early 1990s production. Comparible, but just a bit short, of the Extra Lucens nibs. Dai, al prossimo penshow ACPS a BO, se mi ricordo, porterò una.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Simone

Bock had no memory of these nibs and I have never seen or red about them. I have most of pen books published and I do not remember any photo of them.

They must be very rare.

If made in 950 palladium they must me marked with the title, the international law of precious materials did not changed so much.

If they were mixture of different metals they resamble more a steel nib because by the law title is not recognized.

Here is one on a MB 136, it's stamped 935 on the bottom of the nib.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/ae088223.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/d440691a.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/f1755e51.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/waeleldasher/dfebbd4a.jpg

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I cannot read PD

Even at that time brands were obliged to write the kt weight

I will forward this phto to my Mont Blanc friend.

The fancy "P" under the "M" is what MB used for Palladium, but it wasn't 950 (95%), but 935 (93.5%)

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

The fancy "P" under the "M" is what MB used for Palladium, but it wasn't 950 (95%), but 935 (93.5%)

cheers

Wael

Gotcha!