The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Extreme Nib Crud!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Alohamora

Alohamora

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:27

I bought a Pelikano a few months ago. I was quite unhappy with the pen because it would dry out when left alone for just a short time. So, I put it aside (without cleaning obviously) until I had some time to see if the cap could be sealed better. I got a bit of a shock when I finally got around to looking at it again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Jdaschel

Jdaschel

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:32

Wow! Please clean that. I dont know much about this kind of stuff, but it may be the way you stored it. It might not crud up like that if it up stored nib up.
James Daschel
This is some of my pens I have made. https://picasaweb.google.com/118321470071119286616/MyPens
And my online store http://www.etsy.com/shop/dazzlepenturning

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:37

which ink is this?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 Alohamora

Alohamora

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:41

which ink is this?

It's orange, but I'm not certain which orange, so I don't want to name names.

#5 crazystan

crazystan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:50

Wow, that is a serious crud build up!

How long was it off to the side for?

Also, what is it about orange inks in particular?

#6 Jane-K

Jane-K

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:56

I have experienced that same crud with Diamine Orange (two bottles), Diamine Blaze Orange, and most recently with Montblanc Ink of Joy. Several years ago, I had the same experience with Private Reserve Dakota Red. ? I don't know if it's specific to orange-type inks, or a storage problem, or what. ? There was no indication of a problem in any of the bottles prior to use. The crud sometimes developed in a day or two.

Jane :)

Edited by Jane-K, 03 June 2012 - 18:01.

"I never knew anyone who worked so hard to make such a mess."
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 pienaar

pienaar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:59

That looks just like what Pennzoil does to the inside of a engine. Nasty. :sick:
Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

#8 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• 806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 18:13

That's extreme, but this sort of behavior seems common with orange inks.

#9 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 19:17

So are we looking at deposits from evaporation of the ink, or microbial growth? That looks like something from my premed medical micro classes a long time ago.

#10 Alohamora

Alohamora

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 19:27

So are we looking at deposits from evaporation of the ink, or microbial growth? That looks like something from my premed medical micro classes a long time ago.

It's bit disconcerting when you uncap a pen and see STUFF all over the nib. But it seems to be harmless deposits left after water evaporates out of the ink. No lifeforms invovled.

The good news is that it rinses right off, I didn't even have to disassemble the pen to get it writing again.

Edited by Alohamora, 03 June 2012 - 19:30.

#11 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,011 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 19:55

I have experienced that same crud with Diamine Orange (two bottles), Diamine Blaze Orange, and most recently with Montblanc Ink of Joy. Several years ago, I had the same experience with Private Reserve Dakota Red. ? I don't know if it's specific to orange-type inks, or a storage problem, or what. ? There was no indication of a problem in any of the bottles prior to use. The crud sometimes developed in a day or two.

Jane :)

I have experienced the same thing from my orange and sometimes inks (excluding Noodler's oranges and reds for some reason).

#12 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 20:53

Zombie pen will eat your braaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiin ! ;)

Posted Image

#13 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 21:45

I imagine the reaction of a kid seeing this, as the pen was designed for children.

#14 dalliance

dalliance

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 23:13

'Matter!'
I rode over the mountains to Huddersfield. A wilder people I never saw in England.
The men, women and children filled the streets as we rode along, and appeared just ready to devour us.
- John Wesley, 1757

#15 Teacher Man

Teacher Man

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:18

I bought a Pelikano a few months ago. I was quite unhappy with the pen because it would dry out when left alone for just a short time. So, I put it aside (without cleaning obviously) until I had some time to see if the cap could be sealed better. I got a bit of a shock when I finally got around to looking at it again.

fpn_1338743989__1-img_0399.jpg

fpn_1338744073__1-img_0397.jpg

fpn_1338744101__1-img_0403.jpg

Okay, I know I am vbery late to this post. But that is fairly common especially with some Diamine inks. Meadow does this in every pen I have had it in. Beautiful ink, serious evaporation issues.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

#16 Mister5

Mister5

Blue Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 13:56

Interesting pen stalagtites! You should send it to your local geologist. :)

Inked:  Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black);  Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

#17 Parkette

Parkette

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:24

That really is disgusting. I would like to know the manufacturer.

Will there ever be a post where she doesnt use the pronoun 'I' less than four times?

#18 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:51

The P460 is a stunningly beautiful design but you're absolutely right, probably the leakiest pen I own; that's the main reason I haven't bought one in every color. I really want an orange one (and there's one up on ebay right now) but I refuse to buy any more of them. It's ok if you're using it on a daily basis but definitely not something to leave inked up to only use occasionally.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#19 GoldenNibs

GoldenNibs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:22

Reminds me of a few Parker 21s I found that had ink crud like that. Almost looks like rock formations on your nib.

#20 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:24

J. Herbin "Rouge Hematite" was on a good path to turn my Lamy Al-Star's nib and feed into that. Immediately sucked it out of the converter and left the section in water for a day.

Sponsored Content

|