Extreme Nib Crud!

Alohamora

I bought a Pelikano a few months ago. I was quite unhappy with the pen because it would dry out when left alone for just a short time. So, I put it aside (without cleaning obviously) until I had some time to see if the cap could be sealed better. I got a bit of a shock when I finally got around to looking at it again.

fpn_1338743989__1-img_0399.jpg

fpn_1338744073__1-img_0397.jpg

fpn_1338744101__1-img_0403.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alohamora

• Jdaschel

• chromantic

• GoldenNibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Please clean that. I dont know much about this kind of stuff, but it may be the way you stored it. It might not crud up like that if it up stored nib up.

James Daschel

This is some of my pens I have made. https://picasaweb.google.com/118321470071119286616/MyPens

And my online store http://www.etsy.com/shop/dazzlepenturning

which ink is this?

It's orange, but I'm not certain which orange, so I don't want to name names.

Wow, that is a serious crud build up!

How long was it off to the side for?

Also, what is it about orange inks in particular?

I have experienced that same crud with Diamine Orange (two bottles), Diamine Blaze Orange, and most recently with Montblanc Ink of Joy. Several years ago, I had the same experience with Private Reserve Dakota Red. ? I don't know if it's specific to orange-type inks, or a storage problem, or what. ? There was no indication of a problem in any of the bottles prior to use. The crud sometimes developed in a day or two.

Jane :)

Edited by Jane-K

"I never knew anyone who worked so hard to make such a mess."

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9840/mittenshu1.png

That looks just like what Pennzoil does to the inside of a engine. Nasty. :sick:

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

So are we looking at deposits from evaporation of the ink, or microbial growth? That looks like something from my premed medical micro classes a long time ago.

So are we looking at deposits from evaporation of the ink, or microbial growth? That looks like something from my premed medical micro classes a long time ago.

It's bit disconcerting when you uncap a pen and see STUFF all over the nib. But it seems to be harmless deposits left after water evaporates out of the ink. No lifeforms invovled.

The good news is that it rinses right off, I didn't even have to disassemble the pen to get it writing again.

Edited by Alohamora

I have experienced that same crud with Diamine Orange (two bottles), Diamine Blaze Orange, and most recently with Montblanc Ink of Joy. Several years ago, I had the same experience with Private Reserve Dakota Red. ? I don't know if it's specific to orange-type inks, or a storage problem, or what. ? There was no indication of a problem in any of the bottles prior to use. The crud sometimes developed in a day or two.

Jane :)

I have experienced the same thing from my orange and sometimes inks (excluding Noodler's oranges and reds for some reason).

I imagine the reaction of a kid seeing this, as the pen was designed for children.

'Matter!'

I rode over the mountains to Huddersfield. A wilder people I never saw in England.

The men, women and children filled the streets as we rode along, and appeared just ready to devour us.

- John Wesley, 1757

• 5 years later...

I bought a Pelikano a few months ago. I was quite unhappy with the pen because it would dry out when left alone for just a short time. So, I put it aside (without cleaning obviously) until I had some time to see if the cap could be sealed better. I got a bit of a shock when I finally got around to looking at it again.

fpn_1338743989__1-img_0399.jpg

fpn_1338744073__1-img_0397.jpg

fpn_1338744101__1-img_0403.jpg

Okay, I know I am vbery late to this post. But that is fairly common especially with some Diamine inks. Meadow does this in every pen I have had it in. Beautiful ink, serious evaporation issues.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

Interesting pen stalagtites! You should send it to your local geologist. :)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

The P460 is a stunningly beautiful design but you're absolutely right, probably the leakiest pen I own; that's the main reason I haven't bought one in every color. I really want an orange one (and there's one up on ebay right now) but I refuse to buy any more of them. It's ok if you're using it on a daily basis but definitely not something to leave inked up to only use occasionally.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Reminds me of a few Parker 21s I found that had ink crud like that. Almost looks like rock formations on your nib.

J. Herbin "Rouge Hematite" was on a good path to turn my Lamy Al-Star's nib and feed into that. Immediately sucked it out of the converter and left the section in water for a day.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png