Hero 901 Gold/black

Pickwick

Art Deco is one of my favourite movements. and I was looking for a fountain pen which reflects that period. I eventually realised that Chinese pen maufacturers are the most adventurous and imaginitive when it comes to designing fountain pens, and some of them do have an Art Deco style.

So I opted for the Hero 901 Gold/Black which I purchased on ebay from aha1006. It cost $6.90 with free shipping, and I received it faster than I anticipated. He kindly gave me permission to use his photos because I was unable to take any of my own for reasons which will become apparent later. I chose this particular pen because of the stylised 'Ocean Wave' around the top of the cap, and the 'Greek Key' design around the section, along with the two tone engraved nib.

I've been using this pen for the past month

Construction and design 8/10

The construction of this pen is very robust. The barrel is made of thin steel with a tightly coiled wire insert for reinforcement. The cap may also be made of thin steel, but I can't be sure because of the coating and plastic insert which clips on to the clutch. I've given it this score because the coating is thin and may not be very durable, although i'm sure with reasonable care it may last. The seller gave the weight 37gm - 1.305 ounces which seems about right. The section is plastic with a brass fitting to screw into the brass insert in the barrel. The cap when pushed onto the clutch gives a nice click. At first pulling it off took a bit of effort, but after a month's use it is much easier.

Posted I found the balance point about halfway from the nib, and it is very comfortable to write with. The pen writes smoothly just allowing its own weight and no pressure needed.

Filling the converter 10/10

Before filling the pen I washed warm soapy water through the converter and section and rinsed with clear water. I filled it with Vintage Carter's Midnight Blue/Black. When I bought this ink initally it was full and still had the 49c handwritten label on the lid. The ink had faded somewaht and I was thinking of naming it: 'Breaking Dawn'! But with the help of Noodler's Manhattan Blue, McCaffery's Penman's black and a dash of Diamine Registrar' ink, I think I may have got it to some resemblance to the original. The first two fills I managed to get around 75% into the converter.

Examining the converter I saw a small plastic ball which I assumed was there to break the surface tension of the ink. However I decided to take it out. Doing so, the converter filled to capacity. I can write a 3-4 page letter 81/2 inches by 11 inches, an average of 10 words and 30 lines writing on both sides with one fill and still some ink left over.

Nib 10/10

For the price of this pen the nib is extremely good. I thought it might be a nail, but found it had a spring to it which only required minimal pressure. It is a very smooth writer, laying down a line not too wet or dry, still gives some shading to the ink, and writes reliably and consistently.The nib is two tone, accurately plated with an attractive engraving.

Summing up

For a pen in this price range I enjoy using it. Here's the reason why I couldn't take any photos. After a while the gold colored cap was a bit too ostentatious for my taste, so i decided to paint it along with the barrel in a satin black! I added a brass band from a spare Arnold cap to enhance the part the section screws into. I hope Hero will forgive me!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• highlander1307

• iuoma

• Ian the Jock

Very nice review! I've always wondered why there was a small ball in the converter...

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

• 4 weeks later...

Can you post some writing samples please?

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

• 1 year later...

Based in part on your review I just ordered one. It really caught me eye and wondered about the quality, which is a strange consideration considering the price. In meetings I tend to use gold body fountain pens because others are using Montblancs (local law school tradition). It will be interesting to see reactions. Thanks for the review.

• 1 year later...

I'm reviving this thread because I wondered about the 901 since each time I search "fountain pen" on eBay, this has taken the place of the Jinhao 750 coming up first. I found one offered for $3.19 (free shipping) OR BEST OFFER (free shipping). OK, I'll bite, I thought and submitted an offer of $2.75. If I get a counter-offer I will be truly amused.

Richard, to answer your question a mere 16 months later, the ones I saw listed offered both fine and medium nibs. One peculiar thing is that the design is not consistent for the 901; the overwhelming majority have the Deco embellishment on the cap and Greek key on the section, but I saw at least one variant.

Has anyone here bought this pen? Opinions?

James

I'm reviving this thread because I wondered about the 901 since each time I search "fountain pen" on eBay, this has taken the place of the Jinhao 750 coming up first. I found one offered for $3.19 (free shipping) OR BEST OFFER (free shipping). OK, I'll bite, I thought and submitted an offer of $2.75. If I get a counter-offer I will be truly amused.

Richard, to answer your question a mere 16 months later, the ones I saw listed offered both fine and medium nibs. One peculiar thing is that the design is not consistent for the 901; the overwhelming majority have the Deco embellishment on the cap and Greek key on the section, but I saw at least one variant.

Has anyone here bought this pen? Opinions?

Bought two of the them. Both are great. A gaudy pen in a tasteful fashion. I use a deep purple ink from Private Reserve, Ebony Purple. Why two? The second is a backup in case.

Bought two of the them. Both are great. A gaudy pen in a tasteful fashion. I use a deep purple ink from Private Reserve, Ebony Purple. Why two? The second is a backup in case.

Spendthrift!

Edited by Manalto

James

• 2 weeks later...

My $2.75 pen arrived from China today, minimally protected (but unharmed) in a wee bubble envelope. On the shipping label, the description of contents reads "household lamps." Not fully familiar with Chinese-style humor, I assume it was to treat me to a pleasant surprise.

As others have mentioned, this pen pushes the boundaries of bling, but I maintain that it doesn't step over the line. There's a lot going on here, from the accordion-pleated tassie to the clip mounting that sits a full 1/8" away from the cap, to the Art Deco-y wave engraving, to the fluted anodized aluminum (?) cap itself and so on. Even the blind cap, in the same matte gold as the cap, has an engraved band of shiny gold separating it from the barrel. I think the reason this works is that there are no obvious concessions to Western aesthetic. It's different, foreign, intriguing. If only it had a more substantial clip, I would venture to say that it's more tasteful than some pens 10,000 times its price.

I flushed the pen, according to the advice of those before me, and it writes beautifully. Reluctantly half-loaded (the converter is rubbish) with Diamine 'Grey' it is a most agreeable writing partner. No sweet spot, just smooth flow at any angle, including 90°, which I don't see very often. Even backwards, it lays down a delicate extra-fine line without hesitation.

I have "exceeded [my] allotted disk space for attachments" so I am not able to post photos.

Edited by Manalto

James

Manalto

I came across this issue last week.

If you click "more reply options" then click the upload box at the top of the screen it will open a separate upload screen.

Click to select image then choose the middle code (I think it's bbs code or something) copy this and paste it onto your reply, and hey presto....Your pic in your reply.

Doing it this way also allows clicking on the picture when viewing the thread, and it opens up the picture in its' own screen and you can see the pic in its' full glory.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I made a note of your instructions (in Diamine 'Grey' with a Hero 901 pen that I just happened to have on hand) and will try this a little later.

James (see wee signature below)

PS - Any thoughts on the 901?

James

• 7 months later...

The pen is very cheap but looks wonderful. If used it doesn't give enough ink to the nib.

I bought it also straight from Hong Kong. Costed only 5 US$ including sending.

Pen looks good, but doesn;t write that well...

The pen is very cheap but looks wonderful. If used it doesn't give enough ink to the nib...Pen looks good, but doesn't write that well...

Others here who know more about adjusting flow to the nib can give better advice, I'm sure but I've found that running a razor blade between the tines opens them up enough to increase flow in stingy pens (I think the practice is called "flossing" and the proper material is a brass shim designed for the purpose). I wouldn't recommend it for an expensive or cherished pen, but at this price, you've really got nothing to lose.

Edited by Manalto

James

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but figured I might as well resuscitate it since I don't have a full blown review. Not yet at least. But I want to talk about my love/hate for the Hero 901 fountain pen.

I own a couple of pens. I wan to say a lot but 30ish is peanuts compared to your average FPN member. Of these I have enouigh of a range I think I can judge the 901 against a lot of styles.

I won't list all my pens but I'll list my top 5 in no order becauee frankly a extra fine for forms is not better or worse then a fat oblique for fancy love letters.

1- Parker 51 1953 medium nib

2- Pelikan m400 OM (1990-1992) so not a nail

3- Hero 901

4- Twsbi diamond mini AL silver 1mm stub

5- Italix Parson's Essential medium italic

So lots of good and expensive pens there and that one ugly duckling. The hero. I have 6-8 Jinhaos, 3-4 baoers, 3-4 hero's and 1 of the Jinhao's is really bad (safari clone) but I got it to not so bad with my loupe. All the others are OK pens and great great to give as gifts. But they dryup if left unused and all the other "typical chines problems" like converter not drawing that much ink.

But the hero! The Hero 901! The one I got! I have another in the mailI cannot wait to see if it is as nice as my first one or if I got really lucky. It writes as smoothly as any of my "premium" nibs. Has a lot of spring (but internet suggests the metal is weak and flexing this nib will ruin it very fast). But even if I where to ruin the nib I could always put a goulet or another 901 nib. Or just buy the pen they cost me I think 4.99 CAN$ shipped or 3.99$.

And my hero writes so well, it's balanced perfectly for me and shades like the best shader I own. Always start never skips. Just a perfect pen.

If there is interest I'll try to post pics.