Malcy

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/Tintenkuli4.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/Tintenkuli5.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

DSC02856.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/Tintenkuli3.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/Tintenkuli1.jpghttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/tintenkuli2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malcy

• guilhermejf

• amk

• JemC

Top Posters In This Topic

You beast! Where on earth did you find one for £5.50? Whenever I see one it's advertised for about fifty quid!!!

Lucky so-and-so! :-) It's everything that's good about early Rotrings - super glossy black, generous curves, really striking red ring.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

You beast! Where on earth did you find one for £5.50? Whenever I see one it's advertised for about fifty quid!!!

Lucky so-and-so! :-) It's everything that's good about early Rotrings - super glossy black, generous curves, really striking red ring.

Ha-Ha, it was looking lonely on ebay UK, so I picked it up. :)

It's unusual to see one on ebay UK, more especially an early one like this. The great thing about this one is that it is NOS, complete with sales tag and paperwork. The only thing missing is the box lid. If you go to ebay.de, there are always lots of 1950s examples that average about £20.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for great review!

May I ask which inks do you use with Tintenkuli? Some says only a special ink made for these pens but I was wondering about using regular inks.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Interesting pen, thanks for the review (missed it back in May)!

What's with the gap between the section and nose cone? Does it screw in/out there, or was there supposed to be an extra ring there?

Sounds like the same wire method ink deployment that Rotring uses in their Rapidograph/Rapidosketch technical pens, right?

Thank you for great review!

May I ask which inks do you use with Tintenkuli? Some says only a special ink made for these pens but I was wondering about using regular inks.

I just use fountain pen ink. Lamy blue works well for me.

Interesting pen, thanks for the review (missed it back in May)!

What's with the gap between the section and nose cone? Does it screw in/out there, or was there supposed to be an extra ring there?

Sounds like the same wire method ink deployment that Rotring uses in their Rapidograph/Rapidosketch technical pens, right?

I don't know why the gap is that exact shape but nothing is missing. The cone goes back into the section and unscrews to give access to the wire. There is an air vent in the thread of the cone part so the gap may be for this. It is entirely possible that they use the same ink delivery method as they were produced by the same company.

Well, I finally ran my Rotring to earth - sitting on a stall in a car boot sale / antiques fair in Montfort l'Amaury. For five euros! Not a Tintenkuli but an early Rapidograph,but I'm quite happy with it.

Just when I was about to give up. And it even came in its box. Sometimes I think a fountain pen angel is hovering over me and guiding my eye to the right stand!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Well, I finally ran my Rotring to earth - sitting on a stall in a car boot sale / antiques fair in Montfort l'Amaury. For five euros! Not a Tintenkuli but an early Rapidograph,but I'm quite happy with it.

Just when I was about to give up. And it even came in its box. Sometimes I think a fountain pen angel is hovering over me and guiding my eye to the right stand!

Excellent. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

I like this name "Tintenkuli"! But let me add, that "Kuli" actually does mean "coolie" in German, which you could translate with "worker", but most of the time, it is used in its other sense: a Kuli is just a ballpoint pen. "Kuli" is short for "Kugelschreiber", the literal meaning of which is "ball writer".

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Great review of an interesting and beautiful pen. Such a deal! I was just watching one that sold for just under $100.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Does it need a different pen angle in relation to paper? I heard these needle pens need a steeper angle. And is it scratchy? Usable on a daily basis?

Very nice! Does it need a different pen angle in relation to paper? I heard these needle pens need a steeper angle. And is it scratchy? Usable on a daily basis?

It writes pretty well in my normal writing position and it is nice and smooth. No line variation of course but it could be a daily user. :)

Thanks for the review - as a Rotring fan, I've always been curious about these pens. I've seen them on eBay but never felt confident enough to 'pull the trigger'...thanks to your review, maybe I'll try one now.

It writes pretty well in my normal writing position and it is nice and smooth. No line variation of course but it could be a daily user. :)

Good to know! I was thinking of getting one of these, but did not know anything about. :hmm1:

The Tintenkuli preceded the drawing pens.

The 'gap' is part of the pen and is basically the same pen you would use for drawing. The only difference is the point is rounded to make it easier for writing. The drawing pen point is flat and made to be uses upright.

I think you can use the old Rapidograph points in the Tintenkuli and vice versa. (Don't have a Rotring drawing pen, only Faber Castell and Staedtler which are different)

Of course, as long as you keep it clean and don't let it dry out, you can use India ink in them.

Edited by whych