The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tintenkuli Mit Rotring

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2012 - 20:47

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

Sponsored Content

#2 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2012 - 17:06

You beast! Where on earth did you find one for £5.50? Whenever I see one it's advertised for about fifty quid!!!

Lucky so-and-so! :-) It's everything that's good about early Rotrings - super glossy black, generous curves, really striking red ring.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#3 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2012 - 19:33

You beast! Where on earth did you find one for £5.50? Whenever I see one it's advertised for about fifty quid!!!

Lucky so-and-so! :-) It's everything that's good about early Rotrings - super glossy black, generous curves, really striking red ring.

Ha-Ha, it was looking lonely on ebay UK, so I picked it up. :)

It's unusual to see one on ebay UK, more especially an early one like this. The great thing about this one is that it is NOS, complete with sales tag and paperwork. The only thing missing is the box lid. If you go to ebay.de, there are always lots of 1950s examples that average about £20.

#4 write to me often

write to me often

Blogger of the Opera

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:43

Thank you for great review!

May I ask which inks do you use with Tintenkuli? Some says only a special ink made for these pens but I was wondering about using regular inks.
Every day I'm blogging writetomeoften.com

#5 JemC

JemC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 14:40

Interesting pen, thanks for the review (missed it back in May)!

What's with the gap between the section and nose cone? Does it screw in/out there, or was there supposed to be an extra ring there?

Sounds like the same wire method ink deployment that Rotring uses in their Rapidograph/Rapidosketch technical pens, right?

#6 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:23

Thank you for great review!

May I ask which inks do you use with Tintenkuli? Some says only a special ink made for these pens but I was wondering about using regular inks.

I just use fountain pen ink. Lamy blue works well for me.

Interesting pen, thanks for the review (missed it back in May)!

What's with the gap between the section and nose cone? Does it screw in/out there, or was there supposed to be an extra ring there?

Sounds like the same wire method ink deployment that Rotring uses in their Rapidograph/Rapidosketch technical pens, right?

I don't know why the gap is that exact shape but nothing is missing. The cone goes back into the section and unscrews to give access to the wire. There is an air vent in the thread of the cone part so the gap may be for this. It is entirely possible that they use the same ink delivery method as they were produced by the same company.

#7 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:52

Well, I finally ran my Rotring to earth - sitting on a stall in a car boot sale / antiques fair in Montfort l'Amaury. For five euros! Not a Tintenkuli but an early Rapidograph,but I'm quite happy with it.

Just when I was about to give up. And it even came in its box. Sometimes I think a fountain pen angel is hovering over me and guiding my eye to the right stand!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#8 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:38

Well, I finally ran my Rotring to earth - sitting on a stall in a car boot sale / antiques fair in Montfort l'Amaury. For five euros! Not a Tintenkuli but an early Rapidograph,but I'm quite happy with it.

Just when I was about to give up. And it even came in its box. Sometimes I think a fountain pen angel is hovering over me and guiding my eye to the right stand!

Excellent. :thumbup:

#9 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:33

I like this name "Tintenkuli"! But let me add, that "Kuli" actually does mean "coolie" in German, which you could translate with "worker", but most of the time, it is used in its other sense: a Kuli is just a ballpoint pen. "Kuli" is short for "Kugelschreiber", the literal meaning of which is "ball writer".

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#10 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:08

Great review of an interesting and beautiful pen. Such a deal! I was just watching one that sold for just under $100.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#11 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:50

Great find!

#12 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:35

Very nice! Does it need a different pen angle in relation to paper? I heard these needle pens need a steeper angle. And is it scratchy? Usable on a daily basis?

#13 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:57

Very nice! Does it need a different pen angle in relation to paper? I heard these needle pens need a steeper angle. And is it scratchy? Usable on a daily basis?

It writes pretty well in my normal writing position and it is nice and smooth. No line variation of course but it could be a daily user. :)

#14 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:56

Thanks for the review - as a Rotring fan, I've always been curious about these pens. I've seen them on eBay but never felt confident enough to 'pull the trigger'...thanks to your review, maybe I'll try one now.

#15 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:21

It writes pretty well in my normal writing position and it is nice and smooth. No line variation of course but it could be a daily user. :)

Good to know! I was thinking of getting one of these, but did not know anything about. :hmm1:

#16 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:39

The Tintenkuli preceded the drawing pens.
The 'gap' is part of the pen and is basically the same pen you would use for drawing. The only difference is the point is rounded to make it easier for writing. The drawing pen point is flat and made to be uses upright.
I think you can use the old Rapidograph points in the Tintenkuli and vice versa. (Don't have a Rotring drawing pen, only Faber Castell and Staedtler which are different)
Of course, as long as you keep it clean and don't let it dry out, you can use India ink in them.

Edited by whych, 07 December 2012 - 20:39.

Sponsored Content

|