The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Blue

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 16:45

This was my first ink and I still like it based on nostalgic grounds, but you hit the nail on the head when you said it "lacked gravitas".

Hi,

If a person has a wet pen, I think that LBl from such a pen would generate a darker line, giving a bit more gravitas.

Even with some of the pale Blue-Black inks, (such as Pilot BlBk or Lamy BlBk,) to generate what I consider enough gravitas, they needed to be run from a somewhat wet pen. As ever, that is very much a matter of personal taste.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sponsored Content

#42 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:14

I nearly fell asleep writing with Lamy Blue, it's that exciting.
D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#43 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:54

I nearly fell asleep writing with Lamy Blue, it's that exciting.

Oh my!!!

I realised some time ago that my Reviews were dual-purpose: 1) Review the ink; and 2) Non-medicinal treatment for insomnia.

But it had not crossed my mind that using Lamy Blue could cause such a reaction as you experienced!

Do you think it is of such magnitude and prevalence to raise a safety issue?
And encourage those who purchase LBl to add a label such as this:

Warning: This ink may make you sleepy.
If this happens, do not drive or use pens, tools or machines.

Or else the Zombies will get you!

We do have an aux label for Lamy Blue-Black, so that precedent seems to clear the way for adding a label to LBl as well.

Then again, if the ink is used by a goodly number of school-age children, and in business, the relaxing effect of LBl may well have an up side.

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 10 June 2012 - 22:55.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#44 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:28

Suits general 'grist for the mill' work product, administrivia, and addressing matters in which one is not the least bit interested.[*]Wonderful for filling-out forms.

As so often, Sandy1, you summed this ink up unerringly; only really suited to communicating that which is itself boring!

So, yes, I think some sort of health warning might be appropriate for this one. My suggestion is: Danger, using this ink may render you and your intended reader comatose.

Sad to say, perhaps the best things that can be said of this inoffensive, but otherwise dull ink, are that it comes in a nice bottle and it's erasable.

Sorry. Pass me a saucer of milk!

Edited by Painterspal, 11 June 2012 - 13:31.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#45 bwnewton

bwnewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:13

Thanks for the review.

This is my absolute favorite every day blue for underlining, marginalia and jotting non-permanent notes. It is so well-behaved on very low quality paper. And when I use it on Ampad Gold Fibre planning bads, it comes out to be quite a rich, vibrant blue. It's low-maintenance, low-cost and comes in a very user-friendly bottle.

I didn't like it at first but then after I saw how well it behaved even on Moleskine, I got hooked. I use about one bottle per year.

IMO, Lamy Blue is under-appreciated.

I also very much appreciate the bottled Lamy Blue-Black (iron gall/old formula). Lamy Turquoise is a solid turquoise and I recently returned to using Lamy Black in my rotation for certain purposes.

As stated above, Lamy Blue appears rich and vibrant on Ampad Gold Fibre. Today I was reminded how vibrant it looks on Moleskine Cahier while at the same time behaving so well on Moleskine's poor quality paper. I think it sometimes appears boring when it's used on less porous paper like Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

Sponsored Content

|