The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Blue

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2012 - 22:08

Methinks I was a little harsh on poor old LBl. One could and can do a lot worse for a washable blue! coughmumblequinkcough
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sponsored Content

#22 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 22:43

different strokes for different folks? : ) shysmileteensywink ; )

very aware how difficult it is to render exact color, and appreciate those who labor to share with Us.

with a zilllion available saturated colors in 2012, its nice to know there is still a basic true blue, that easily washes out of clothing, but in comparison to ballpoint, and gel pens, offers a bright readable fountain pen ink alternative.
And yes, you may make corrections, where it's allowable to do so.
also easy to find, price easy on the wallet.
works for me, though I Did just load up the Diamine Saddle Brown today - very nice in the Charcoal finepoint.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#23 stefanv

stefanv

Casual Collector and Experimenter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:12

IIRC, there was some mention that where eradicator was used, the paper will turn quite yellow. Have you found that to be the case?

Bye,
S1[/font]

The paper does turn a little yellow, and more so over time. Furthermore, one can't write over where one has eradicated, except with non-eradicable ink (such as that in the super-fine felt-tipped pen on the opposite end of the eradicator pen).
Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:
Posted Image

#24 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:58

IIRC, there was some mention that where eradicator was used, the paper will turn quite yellow. Have you found that to be the case?

Bye,
S1[/font]

The paper does turn a little yellow, and more so over time. Furthermore, one can't write over where one has eradicated, except with non-eradicable ink (such as that in the super-fine felt-tipped pen on the opposite end of the eradicator pen).

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know!
(Especially those amongst us who make errors.)

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#25 acolythe

acolythe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 20:12

In spite of the rather mediocre color, I have it on good authority that this ink is greatly favored by French musicians. In fact Paul Mauriat was so enamoured of it that he wrote a song about it. lamy, lamy lamy blue oh lamy blue :-)

#26 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:49

outstanding review thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#27 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 19:20

In spite of the rather mediocre color, I have it on good authority that this ink is greatly favored by French musicians. In fact Paul Mauriat was so enamoured of it that he wrote a song about it. lamy, lamy lamy blue oh lamy blue :-)

Another ink with a theme song? :happyberet:

#28 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 19:22

outstanding review thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,
S1

#29 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:27

Note that this ink is also erasable using a Pelikan Super-Pirat or similar fountain pen ink eradicator. In the scan below, the white line was made with a Super-Pirat:

Posted Image

thanks, I didn't know you can erase FP inks!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#30 acolythe

acolythe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:24

Sandy1
What other inks have theme songs?
Barry

#31 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 5,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:01

Sandy1
Barry

I've just got to do it...
"Diamines Are Forever" and "Diamines Are A Girl's Best Friend".
To name a couple.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#32 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:07

Sandy1
Barry

Hi Barry,

I know of one other - ESSRI : Post № 65

Bye,
S1

#33 Federer

Federer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:41

I like this colour! It's a nice change from the dark purples and dark blues I've been using recently.

Is there anything similar in lightness + behaviour, but perhaps with a bit more zap?

#34 acolythe

acolythe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:47

Sandy1
Barry

I've just got to do it...t
"Diamines Are Forever" and "Diamines Are A Girl's Best Friend".
To name a couple.

Very good
:-)

#35 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:36

I like this colour! It's a nice change from the dark purples and dark blues I've been using recently.

Is there anything similar in lightness + behaviour, but perhaps with a bit more zap?

Hi,

It certainly is a change from your current inks, and there are many too many inks of a colour similar to LBl from which to choose. You have inadvertently hit LBl's soft spot - it is without 'zap'. A scoop of perfectly fine vanilla ice cream that cries out for some sprinkles.

If looking for a non-Washable simple dye-based ink with a bit more 'zap', consider inks that have a bit more Violet, trending towards Royal Blue, but not as Violet as a typical Sapphire ink. Perhaps Montblanc Royal Blue? LINK

Few inks are designated as 'Washable', so if you desire that behaviour, your choice is quite limited. Perhaps the stealthy Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue from an interesting damp nib? LINK

Bye,
S1

Posted Image

#36 jkbd52

jkbd52

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:21

Thanks for the great review. I am new to fountain pens and did what I believe most people uniformed people do; I purchased a lamy safari and some lamy ink. I do not hate Lamy inks. I have notice that most of FPN does not care for them. However, it's a good ink for when I take notes for school or write some scribble. I do not think that it is a horrible ink by any means. However, I ordered some sample inks from Goulet Pens and I do see the difference and why some people dislike Lamy inks.
“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker

#37 deherrerajames

deherrerajames

Duke Celluloid Souveran of Pelikan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:46

Enjoyed your systemic and methodological review of Lamy blue. The art and science of ink analysis is with you. I was inspired and now anew have different view of Lamy blue. Now bid you adieu and thanks for the review. --- Jim
Jim DeHerrera

#38 een brouwer

een brouwer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:43

This was my first ink and I still like it based on nostalgic grounds, but you hit the nail on the head when you said it "lacked gravitas".

#39 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:47

Thanks for the great review. I am new to fountain pens and did what I believe most people uniformed people do; I purchased a lamy safari and some lamy ink. I do not hate Lamy inks. I have notice that most of FPN does not care for them. However, it's a good ink for when I take notes for school or write some scribble. I do not think that it is a horrible ink by any means. However, I ordered some sample inks from Goulet Pens and I do see the difference and why some people dislike Lamy inks.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Lamy Blue may be just the thing for notes at school or 'some scribble'. It will do what it does reliably and consistently across a wide range of pens & papers, which is no small feat - it is not a fussy ink.

While some of the Lamy inks are without a vocal fan base, the Lamy Blue-Black has a strong following, it being 'More robust than civilization itself.' Post № 23

I agree with the practice of sampling inks to explore what else is in the market, especially when one wants something that is a bit different than Lamy Blue.

Bye,
S1

#40 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:52

Enjoyed your systemic and methodological review of Lamy blue. The art and science of ink analysis is with you. I was inspired and now anew have different view of Lamy blue. Now bid you adieu and thanks for the review. --- Jim

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your kind thoughts. :blush:

I am glad your view of Lamy Blue is born anew.

Bye,
S1

Sponsored Content

|