Edc Pens

tonydent84

I recently lost my Kaweco sport (at a gas station...), so now I am carrying a Parker 25 in my pants pocket. Plenty sturdy and takes a lot of movement without blobbing.

In my portfolio or shirt pocket there is usually a Parker 50 or 51.

For ballpoints I have recently put new refills in some funky vintage NOS Sheaffer ballpoints with plastic barrels and chrome tops/buttons. They almost look like normal pens, but cooler!

Always have a .4 or .5 drafting pencil in my portfolio too.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• tonybelding

• johnsi02

• ac12

I usually carry a two-pen pouch with me to work. I rotate pens from my vintage collection in and out. But I usually have my Lamy 2000 (M) with me most days. I'm about to buy a Vanishing Point

, however, and that one may take the Lamy's place for a bit.

Lamy Al-Star (F) in my shirt pocket, along with whatever ballpoint comes to hand. In a glasses case in my laptop bag I have Lamy 2000 and Pilot Metropolitan, and whatever pen I just bought.

I've had many EDCs. The Sheaffer Snorkel was a good one, and so was the Sheaffer Targa. The Pilot VP was a good one. The Bexley America the Beautiful was a good one. The TWSBI Vac 700 was a good one most of the time, when I wasn't waiting replacement parts.

I realized after a while that the outside pocket of my canvas vest was a sort of rough place for a pen, and any one I carried there would eventually get wear and scuffs on its clip and finish. So... No delicate or hard-to-replace pens there. That ruled out the PFM, among others.

Right now my favorite is a Hero 200A. It didn't cost much. It's slim and easy to carry. The stainless steel body can take a beating. It writes smoothly with a nail-like "manifold" 14K gold nib that can handle carbonless forms. With Noodler's Black it can deal with all but the very worst copy paper.

For years, my every day pen has been a black Esterbrook SJ with a 9450 nib. It is hell for durable. For marryin' and buryin', I take either a Snorkel or a rollerball designed to look like Isaak Newton's walking cane.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Ever since I got my Burgundy Eversharp Skyline Demi I can't keep it OUT of my pocket. It has usurped all my other pens. It writes so smooth and has a decent amount of flex while still writing fine enough for work. Its an amazing pen.

In my shirt pocket I usually keep a Pelikan M600 Ruby Red (or M605 Marine Blue) and in my bag I have a 3-pen Franklin Christoph case that has a Nakaya Neo-Standard in Kuro-tamenuri, a Pelikan M800 Blue O' Blue, and one other, currently a Conway Stewart Wellington in Black Whirl.

The M800 is my absolute favorite writer, but it's a little too long to fit comfortably in my shirt pocket, hence the smaller M600's ride there.

I have a pool of pens that I call my "office pens."

There is a thread on this subject.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249304-office-pens/

And a ball or gel pen to give to someone who want to borrow a pen from you. This is so you do NOT give them your fountain pen.

On top of this I have my pocket pen, and Ohto Tasche.

And possible optional pen a Parker 51 special.

Anything else is on a case by case decision.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I carry my pens in a small pouch 4 in all:

Picasso Montmatre, Parker Frontier - both sturdy, inexpensive and easy to replace

Cross Tech 2, combined BP and stylus - my fingers seem to be too big for smartphone use

Parker 45 pencil - for my Moleskin calendar (I'll get a more FP friendly calendar next year methinks!)

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Every pen I own is not an EDC. Some pens just don't meet my needs for office life. So you'll have to decide the requirements for your usage.

Mine always include one or more Parker 51s. I also keep a Pelikan M205 Duo Highlighter in my pen wrap. Others may include Esterbrook Js, Parker 45s, Sheaffer Balance or Snorkel. If I'm working on a project that I'm going to do some planning and thinking, I may bring in some modern pens like Platinum, Sailor, Pilot, and Pelikan.

Buzz

These are my every day carries: from left to right an Urushi Edison Pearl, a Danitrio Short Octagon in Midori, Nakaya long cigar in Shu and a Twiss button-filler.

fpn_1407582379__ed_dan_nak_twis.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

I have two I use everyday. A Lamy 2000 and a Hero 382. Both filled with Noodler's 54th Mass.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Pilot Knight filled with one of the seasonal Sailor Jentle inks (doyoo?) and a Lamy Vista with Eclat de Saphir. Other pens stay on the table at work ready to roll.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

My primary EDC pen for about 3 years was a Faber Castell Basic. This pen still looks brand new and is running strong.

Lately though I switched to a Sheaffer 100, because it feels bulletproof. I also carry my TWSBI 580 if I need to write in different colors.

I rotate my use of fountain pens. It is fun for me, and healthy for the pens. regardless of the pen in rotation, the second pen

in my pocket is always (40 years, now) a Parker 45.

How and where do you carry your pens ? What is the climate ? What are your pen options ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

no matter what else, i always carry a Hero 329. it's my "just get the writing done already" pen, solves the problem and doesn't cause more ones.

i always carry one other pen, though, in case i find the 329 without ink, and the second one can vary. currently it's a Wing Sung 233 i got sent by mistake while purchasing something else. (i offered to send it back, but the seller apparently didn't think it was worth the postage --- he made the mistake good and let me keep the pen for free. it's a neat little thing, too.)

Edited by lynxcat

• 1 year later...

I the past I nearly always had a Pilot 78G in my pocket. I then decided to switch things around and tried a few others but my Faber Castell Ondoro hasn't really budged out of the way for a good few months now.

Not a drop leaked nor a beat missed. Solid enough to take the odd play fight with my teenagers and discrete enough to whip out anywhere.

Massive fan.

I work at home, so I don't need to carry any pens for work. But when I do go out, I usually have a couple of Lamy Safaris with me - they're robust, they work great, and they're cheap.

Alan