Edc Pens

tonydent84

WIth a huge number of pens that I have accumulated, most of which I absolutely love to use, I have come to realize that maybe choosing one or two pens at random before leaving the house isn't the best strategy. Some are more fragile than others, some are more difficult to replace than others, some are a little less practical than others, and some are outright too flashy for certain casual occasions.

I'm planning on going through all my pens to see which ones I can really make as true EDCs. So I was wondering if you guys can help me out. When you leave the house, be it for work, school, church/mosque, conferences, formal gatherings, etc. which pens do you tend to usually carry? I realize that you might bring a pen specifically for work and another for casual meetings. But what would you consider to be the pens you find to be the best EDCs for you?

You don't have to limit them to fountain pens. I find myself usually carrying at least one fountain pen and one other type of pen be it a rollerball or ballpoint/gel. So whatever you find your EDC to be (currently), please share. Some newer pens that hit the markets seem to be great candidates, one being the TWSBI Vac 700.

I suppose I'm just trying to get some ideas :).

PS: I found that for ballpoints, I tend to carry either an old Parker Jotter, a Cross Century II, or a Waterman rollerball fitted with a ballpoint. But for rollerballs and fountains, it seems I bounce around a lot.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• tonybelding

• johnsi02

• ac12

At the moment, I'm touting around a Sailor 1911 in sterling silver, and a Pilot Fermo as my back-up pen. When things start getting busy and i'm on my feet, the Fermo gets to come out to play, when I'm sitting down and writing, The Sailor is my pen of choice.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

A TWSBI always, and then one of my other less expensive pens like my Phileas, Carene, or Pelikan M205. A old Parker Vector or a Visconti Rembrandt rollerball sits in reserve. I don't mind carrying my Carene around too much since if I do lose it, it can be replaced easily. If I were to lose my Phileas though, I would really be in distress since it is hard to replace. But it is such a fine writer that I love to use it often.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I two preppys (green and black) I also have a Jinrong that I have brown in. These are my everyday carry. They work great and I do not worry about them.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

I normally carry a Noodler's Konrad and Stipula Passporto or an Eversharp Symphony and Sheaffer Balance.

- Rod

For a long time my EDC pen has been a black Bexley America the Beautiful. It's style is understated and appropriate everywhere, and the cap seals very tightly, so it can go a long time without drying out. (Important since it really only gets used when I'm out of the house.)

Black Kaweco Sport Classic, filled with Kaweco Sepia. Never fails me. A new one becoming a common EDC is a NOS Sheaffer Imperial II TD, a lovely and smooth writer.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Right now, I carry my Edison Pearl LEE filled with Burma Road Brown as my main pen, with either a Bexley Corona usually filled with Dark Matter or an Edison Hudson filled with some ink sample as a backup. I just ordered a TWSBI Vac700 yesterday, so I am sure that will be added to the rotation soon enough.

I carry a Stipula Passaporto in my left front jeans pocket everyday, it is the FPN L.E. version. I also used to carry a Visconti Rembrandt Eco Rollerball in Ivory color, but that is at Visconti in Florida, USA for repairs right now.

I keep at the work two or three pens permanently with a bottle of ink (At the moment I have a hero 266 and a baoer 366)

and carry with me one other pen, currently a burgundy vintage parker 45.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Any pen that I own is an EDC or else I would not buy it. At the low dollar end, TWSBI 540 and Parker 45 all the way to Sailor KOP and any of my MB WE's. No sense in buying a pen that has to stay at home, a concept I never understood.

Edited by bugmd

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Any pen that I own is an EDC or else I would not buy it. At the low dollar end, TWSBI 540 and Parker 45 all the way to Sailor KOP and any of my MB WE's. No sense in buying a pen that you has to stay at home, a concept I never understood.

Well said! thumbup.gif

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

For me, a Capless Decimo F was my daily carry up until about two weeks ago. It'll return to that role soon but is taking a break while I carry other pens with new and interesting inks. My secondary daily pen lately has been a Platinum 3776 Century, because it's filled with a great ink (Sailor Seiboku). I also like having an iron-gall-loaded pen, which right now is a Pilot 78G, and an Iroshizuku pen, which is a Custom 74.

Too many great inks to only carry one pen.

Robert.

My Sailor 1911m lives in my shirt pocket. If I don't have a shirt pocket I'll carry it in my padfolio on an interior loop so it doesn't get beat up by hanging on the outside. This does create a problem, however, as the extra jostling from being in the padfolio makes a bit of ink spill onto the nib and inside the cap. My Lamy Safari doesn't seem to care about jostling at all since it's always tidy when I uncap it, but the 1911's "spitup" is still far enough within my comfort zone that I'll continue to carry the Sailor. I think EDC needs to be aesthetically appealing.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

2 carenes, a stub and an extra fine. But I'm looking to swap out one for a matching rollerball so I have something to lend, and to use some of my Pilot G2 refills, which I actually really like

My EDC pen is a 1933 Sheaffer's OS Balance in red-veined marbled grey, my favourite writer. I had it in a box unti I thought: Why not enjoy it?

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

I carry a Lamy 2000 B in a single quiver on my notebook, strangely enough this is my backup pen, I don't particularly like the way it writes, but it holds a reasonable amount of ink and never dries out. I rotate my main pen, carried in either a shirt pocket or across the button flap of a pocketless golf shirt, between my old beater Mk1 Rotring 600 with a broad 18k nib, a Pelikan 400nn OB, or an English OB P51 vac.

If I know I'm going to be sketching during the day I'll add a Pentel P209 or Lamy Scribble mechanical pencil.

There are always a couple of random pens in my laptop case along with a couple of Nalgene bottle of ink.

Cheers, Ted

• 2 years later...

Any fp I own plus one cheap ballpoint. So if I have to lend pen, I lend the ballpoint.

Edited by ArnyDelan168

Currently using Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black
On drawer Sailor Kuro-gaki (Japanese Black Persimmon Wood)
Wishlist
Sailor King of Pen
Pilot 743 FA nib

Now that I am retired, I seldom use a pen away from the house but I do carry one in my wallet. I choose one that fits the slot shown here, so it is usually one that isn't very fat. Recently I have been carrying this one, a MB 144.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1642_zpsfa5dbdf0.jpg

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot