Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

Jimmy James

Wow, you must have got it fast. Hope mine comes tomorrow, can't wait to try it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• mhosea

• Ghost Plane

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but there is no green or purple here.

I'd ordered a bottle to be shipped to the UK before reading this and I'm delighted as this was my fear. I always felt that Noodlers Blue and Eel Blue lean towards green and was hoping that this would be different.

I am seriously impressed by the lightning fast review. That's really great.

Also by the creative use of the commode. :)

It's actually a souffle dish or some other such baking apparatus.

Also, I thank everyone for the positive comments. I hoped a quick review would be helpful. I know Brian did one, but his was a video review principally. Additionally, he is clearly a biased source. I am not. I very much appreciate his work and trust him, but I know it's just different knowing he makes money off every bottle and I don't. ;)

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I won't have results posted for the cheap paper tonight, but to me it looks like a similar loss of ink.

I think my working theory is that this is actually a semi-bulletproof mix of Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Noodler's Blue. The Noodler's Blue portion releases and doesn't bother the paper. The Upper Ganges Blue part holds firm. I say that because to my eye, the Rhodia paper looks just like Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue. I can't upload some things I have scanned until my daughter is firmly asleep so it will take me a bit to show you what I mean.

Quote from Ink Nouveau:

"This is a brand-new ink, not a reformulation or repackaging of any previous Noodler's ink."

Anxiouly awaiting my order. USPS decided to take the scenic route with it--from Virginia to Connecticut via Florida. :headsmack:

Hope my Florida bottle isn't in Connecticut! :rolleyes: A recent parcel from 2 towns over took 9 days, so I hope USPS isn't messing with the Goulet's speedy service. :headsmack:

I see why references to Ganges Blue got made after soaking.

I won't have results posted for the cheap paper tonight, but to me it looks like a similar loss of ink.

I think my working theory is that this is actually a semi-bulletproof mix of Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Noodler's Blue. The Noodler's Blue portion releases and doesn't bother the paper. The Upper Ganges Blue part holds firm. I say that because to my eye, the Rhodia paper looks just like Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue. I can't upload some things I have scanned until my daughter is firmly asleep so it will take me a bit to show you what I mean.

Quote from Ink Nouveau:

"This is a brand-new ink, not a reformulation or repackaging of any previous Noodler's ink."

Anxiouly awaiting my order. USPS decided to take the scenic route with it--from Virginia to Connecticut via Florida. :headsmack:

I'd submit an ink that is essentially a mix of two present inks would be a brand new ink. Indeed, even if my working premise is verified as correct, this is nothing that we have before seen.

ETA: I am about to scan the Norcom page after water test. I think my working premise may be incorrect. While the ink loses a lot of color even on the Norcom, it is a lot brighter than Upper Ganges. I do think we need to realize that when Noodler's or anybody else makes a new ink, however, it is very likely that it is made up of ingredients we have seen before. I'd guess that as much as 90% of what is in the Liberty's Elysium bottle has been used in some other Noodler's Ink. It may even be 100%. It's the mix that is novel. I say that with some experience -- I actually used to make databases of auto paint formulas in a past career.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7273513744_ed0c86b389.jpg

Liberty's Elysium by Erechtheus, on Flickr

This is the Norcom paper after 10 minute soak and drying. Note the blue color on the bottom corners is actually as far as I can tell the ink that made up the ruling on the paper, not the Liberty's Elysium. The baking dish I was using for soaking is a bit smaller than the size of the Norcom paper, so the corners were not fully submerged. It is interesting to me that on the Rhodia, the dots on the paper seem to be waterfast while the blue ruling on the Norcom washes right out and the pink/red side ruling bleeds.

Hi,

Many thanks for the review! :clap1:

One can never have too many Blue inks. ;)

Pity that it is sold out at present.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I even seem to be getting hints of shading. I also see some subtle shading on my invoice.

Hints? Only hints? Hmm.... One reason why Texas Blue Bonnet has been my favorite up to now is because it's a shading wonder.

I am stunned by Nathan Tardif’s work on this ink. I have to wonder what discovery led him to this ink because I have to imagine if this were easily made we would have had it far sooner.

I wondered the same thing, but I think your water test gives us part of the answer. Clearly this is not a 100% pure bulletproof/eternal type of ink, since a fair bit of the color is rinsing out. It's not like Violet Vote or #41 Brown or Luxury Blue, where water does nothing to them.

Texas Blue Bonnet actually has a sort of cyan component that rinses out, but even that isn't nearly as pronounced as what I see in your photos.

Also... Your standard Noodler's Blue does have a water-resistant component, although it's not celluose-reactive. It's more of an old-fashioned water-resistant ink. (But Eel Blue is washable!)

Edited by tonybelding

I'm thinking about this ink or Visconti Blue. They look sufficiently different that I am presented with a real choice. Or maybe I should just give in and get both....after all Visconti isn't bulletproof.

Got mine a little while ago...

Ill just add in that I LOVE this ink !

What a great smooooth blue with some shading out of my Pelikan.

PS... I think I got a full bottle lol I mean seriously my bottle was FULL to the brim :happyberet:

This is not going to be some fad ink. This will certainly be around for a good long time.

The Goulets did an outstanding job working with Noodlers to get this ink right. AND ... Alex did an awesome job getting the packs out fast so many of us could have our new ink for the long weekend. :thumbup:

Hints is probably a bit conservative for the shading I see. I even see shading after the soak test. I'd say the above reference to "some shading" is more accurate.

Just tried out LE. Very nice. Very nice shading. Perfect color. Will have to make this one my first review.

I wondered the same thing, but I think your water test gives us part of the answer. Clearly this is not a 100% pure bulletproof/eternal type of ink, since a fair bit of the color is rinsing out. It's not like Violet Vote or #41 Brown or Luxury Blue, where water does nothing to them.

It's like Bad Belted Kingfisher in this regard, maybe better.

Also... Your standard Noodler's Blue does have a water-resistant component, although it's not celluose-reactive. It's more of an old-fashioned water-resistant ink.

Maybe you're thinking of Namiki Blue? I can't think of any sense that I would agree that Noodler's Blue is water resistant.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

How much of a mess does it make if the paper gets wet, like a water spill, but it isn't immersed? Wondering if this will be suitable for work, where water spills are not frequent, but a distinct possibility.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Hope my Florida bottle isn't in Connecticut! :rolleyes: A recent parcel from 2 towns over took 9 days, so I hope USPS isn't messing with the Goulet's speedy service. :headsmack:

I see why references to Ganges Blue got made after soaking.

ROFL !!! Damn Yankees !!!

Jimmy, very great introduction review. So far after 10mins, I love this blue...and while I doubt any inks can flow like the Eel series, I don't see any problems with my Lamy Safari Med nib. Definitely shades well with some red sheening where it pools on those sheening papers. It does do great on crappy anti-quality paper.

Need more time after company leaves tomorrow to put it through its paces with multiple pens and papers. I don't see any downside to it yet.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

How much of a mess does it make if the paper gets wet, like a water spill, but it isn't immersed? Wondering if this will be suitable for work, where water spills are not frequent, but a distinct possibility.

Dan

Good question. I still have the Hammermill and the Clairfontaine in place. I'll see what I can do some time today to answer this inquiry!

Dan

Better yet for a place where water spills are not use frequent, they are a certainty every day heh. Would love to know because some of my line cooks and prep cooks never fail t be a little sloppy heh. I did just order some samples from the Goulet's (seems like FPN bought too many bottles of this stuff before I could get over to the site and place my order lol. I'll do my prep list in this ink when I get it though and post a pic :) .

I have put a coffee cup ring and some randomly flung water on the Clairefontaine page. It's drying now. I think the lesson is going to be that if you spill on a page with this ink, submerge it as quickly as possible.