Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

Jimmy James

As usual, this review is archived on The Inked Nib.

Pen: Bexley Corona

Paper: Clairfontaine A4 90gsm (page 1), Rhodia No. 16 80 gsm (page 2), Norcom (USA) single subject notebook (page 3), Hammermill Tidal MP 20 pound (ink form)

Wow.This ink is as billed! I thought Brian Goulet’s photos looked just slightly green on my computer, but there is no green or purple here. This appears to be the killer bulletproof ink. I even seem to be getting hints of shading. I also see some subtle shading on my invoice.

As you can tell, I am using a broad nib with average flow. The dry time is pretty decent. It definitely is not instant, but it isn’t bad. I am seeing no show through and no bleed through on Clairefontaine and Rhodia. I am also getting no feathering on this paper. Lubrication is ample, and flow is average.

Based on a quick scan of my blue pens, I think long term this ink will go in my blue TWSBI 530. I may buy a 1.1 italic to help it really shine. My Lamy Al-Star Ocean Blue is too purplish as is my Edison Pearl LEA.

I predicted this would be Goulet cling wrap blue and it really is.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7269531586_82208240a5.jpg

Liberty's Elysium by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Brian and Rachel Goulet have done a lot to surprise and delight us, but the way they handled this ink is at the top of my list! I remember the excitement and subsequent disappointment due to Pelikan Edelstein and Everflo True Blue. Here, Brian and Rachel undersold the product. Rachel casually mentioned a new ink in the Goulet Communique, and she waited for me to start the thread about it on FPN. She reeled us in hook, line, and sinker. Anticipation grew and was at fever pitch for the release! What a release!

The properties of this ink are surprisingly consistent between higher end paper like the Clairefontaine and Rhodia and lower end paper like the Norcom. On Norcom, I see slight show through but no bleed through or feathering. Not surprisingly the dry time is faster on the Norcom.

I am stunned by Nathan Tardif’s work on this ink. I have to wonder what discovery led him to this ink because I have to imagine if this were easily made we would have had it far sooner. I am glad the passion of the Goulets for this product inspired Nathan to the point he figured out the formula for this ink.

I just completed the ink form and tested most of my blue inks against this ink. I have nothing quite like this ink. The closest is probably Everflo True Blue ink. Its properties are worse than this ink, and it does not resist water.

This could very well become my favorite ink. Time will tell.

Unwrapping video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_ztUxQtm4&feature=plcp

Water test in progress photos:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7103/7269538226_bb746c8146.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7269544450_214733dd03.jpg

Handwritten review:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7269512648_c6f5089411.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8016/7269515894_701231cc07.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7269510626_ba564fb9db.jpg

Review form:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/7269514214_3452a98125.jpg

As an addendum, this ink looks to me nothing like Baystate Blue. Baystate Blue is way more vibrant but is also way purpler. This is a true blue.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• mhosea

• Ghost Plane

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome review. Thanks. Looks a bit like a slightly darker Kon-peki.

Wow, that is a nice color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks like it works well on cheap paper! This may be exactly the ink I need.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Good review, Jimmy. I just checked the Goulet's site, and it appears that this ink is already out of stock. I'm glad I got my order in when I did. Seems like plenty of folks were champing at the bit for this one.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

Thanks for the review. Do you have anny side-by-side comparisons to other blues (even though the others aren't bulletproof)?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Awesome review. Thanks. Looks a bit like a slightly darker Kon-peki.

I'm halfway through doing my own review of the blues in my collection. I recently finished with Kon-peki and this ink has hit the top of my list for favourites. It would be perfect for me if it was one or two shades darker.

So I'd be interested if any of you have Liberty and Kon-peki and could do a comparison. What is the colour like; the feel; the flow; bleed through; etc.

I dont know how to say it other than I believe you can feel the quality in Iroshizuku over other inks. So how does Liberty feel in comparison?

I'd also like to know how it compares to Eel Blue. I've been told that te eel inks are buttery smooth so how does liberty feel in comparison (my word of this post!)

Thanks fountain penners,

P.

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Blue is not an ink that excites me. To me, it's just a blah basic like black. But I have to say that Liberty is very pretty bright blue shade!

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

I kind of cringed at the color runoff in your scanned photo of the full page water test. However, there is still a lot of ink left on the page to be bulletproof, and it is a good color of blue. Blue. Real blue, it seems. So, I'm not upset at all that I special ordered a 16 oz bottle of the stuff today.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I think the amount of runoff is a testament to the wetness of my wonderful Binderized Bexley Corona broad nib.

I'll be posting an "after" scan of the Rhodia after it dries (it's not quite there yet). It is a good bit lighter in color, but if permanence is what you're after it seems like a good option. I don't think the blue ink has much tendency to settle back on the page.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

did you try the same water test on the cheap paper? So often that run off is due to the "good" paper preventing the ink from soaking in and binding with the cellulose fibres.

Looks like it shades rather well for such a bright blue. I will definitely have to try this in the future.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Nice review, mine's due tomorrow (my bottle, not qualified to do a good ink review, yet)

Edited by Garyg

I won't have results posted for the cheap paper tonight, but to me it looks like a similar loss of ink.

I think my working theory is that this is actually a semi-bulletproof mix of Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Noodler's Blue. The Noodler's Blue portion releases and doesn't bother the paper. The Upper Ganges Blue part holds firm. I say that because to my eye, the Rhodia paper looks just like Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue. I can't upload some things I have scanned until my daughter is firmly asleep so it will take me a bit to show you what I mean.

I ordered mine ... great review saw the Goulet Pens website ... sold me can't wait to get it ...

Thanks for your efforts in the review ...

Scott