• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ted A

• terminal

• Newjelan

• cimmerian

Hello, newbie here. I just recently purchased a green Monteverde Artista Crystal.

A bit smaller/shorter than the average pen, but has a good weight for size. Converter works nicely. I ordered mine with medium nib and inked it up with De Atramentis patina green. The nib is a bit scratchy, but I doesn't skip on cheap lined paper. Writes easier on moleskine, but it also bleeds and feather on the moleskine as well.

Hope this helps. I have ordered some micromesh from Amazon and may try polishing the nib a bit to see it that helps with scratchiness.

Hello, newbie here. I just recently purchased a green Monteverde Artista Crystal.

A bit smaller/shorter than the average pen, but has a good weight for size. Converter works nicely. I ordered mine with medium nib and inked it up with De Atramentis patina green. The nib is a bit scratchy, but I doesn't skip on cheap lined paper. Writes easier on moleskine, but it also bleeds and feather on the moleskine as well.

Hope this helps. I have ordered some micromesh from Amazon and may try polishing the nib a bit to see it that helps with scratchiness.

Thank you, that does help!

Colors, did you look at the tip with a 10x loupe? You sould make sure the tines are aligned before you smooth the nib. Do not use a stronger loupe.

Colors, did you look at the tip with a 10x loupe? You sould make sure the tines are aligned before you smooth the nib. Do not use a stronger loupe.

Good to know, thanks. I got to get me one of those.

• 1 month later...

I've had an Artista Cyrstal for a month or so now. The pen is a little small for my taste, but the nib is smooth and provides a little feedback.

This pen has recently developed problems when filled with Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and writing on a Rhodia dot pad. After about half a page, it begins to skip badly and then quits all together. Switching to cheap spiral notebook paper (which the Edelstein and everything else saturates completely) cures the problem immediately.

Anyone experience anything similar or have a suggestion?

I've had a Crystal for a couple of months. I find the nib to be very smooth.

I occasionally have issues with the pen going dry while I'm writing. I think the issue is that there is something about the inside of the converter (maybe I haven't cleaned it well enough) that causes inks to cling to it rather than flowing down to the feed. With some of the more viscous inks I can see the ink at the top of the converter and then the converter is empty between the ink and the feed. A gentle tap or turning the converter piston down works to push the ink to the feed and all is well.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I have on sitting here. I definitely agree with everyone's assessment so far.

I guess I'd say that it has a surprisingly smooth nib for the price. It's definitely not 'scratchy'.

It has no flex at all. I personally would not say that it is an exceptional 'value' in a pen. I think the TWSBIs are pretty comparable and offer more value for the money.

One thing worth noting though is the artista posts rather nicely.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Got my daughter a pink one and I got a green one on a visit to Daly Pens in Milwaukee...Great little pens and yes, both of them are very smooth writers. Just a touch of feedback. Feed also turns the color of ink that you are using.

Feed also turns the color of ink that you are using.

...yeah and so does the plastic if you're not careful... it may be more prone to staining than some other pens

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I've had a Crystal for a couple of months. I find the nib to be very smooth.

I occasionally have issues with the pen going dry while I'm writing. I think the issue is that there is something about the inside of the converter (maybe I haven't cleaned it well enough) that causes inks to cling to it rather than flowing down to the feed. With some of the more viscous inks I can see the ink at the top of the converter and then the converter is empty between the ink and the feed. A gentle tap or turning the converter piston down works to push the ink to the feed and all is well.

I'm not seeing any of the viscosity issues that Ted A mentions. I'm unsure as to whether Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is a viscous ink. It doesn't seem to be. The problem seems to be paper related.

I just received mine today, the Turquoise one. The nib is smooth, but it does run a little dry and seems to skip on Rhodia but works well on standard HP ink jet printer paper. It's a lovely looking pen and I'll just have to use it on cheaper papers.

• 1 year later...

Gorgeous pen :) got myself a green one...writes well, see thru nib is defo the selling point.

Grip section is a little slippy-scotch tape to rescue :))))))))

I've had mine for almost 2 years now and it has grown on me. I keep it in the cover of my Hobonichi Planner. The cover is "robin's egg blue" leather and the pen is a great match. It's always filled with Tsuki-yo and is simply perfect.

95% of scratchy is a misaligned tine on a nib and or holding the fountain pen like a ball point.

Hold the fountain pen behind the index knuckle at 45 degrees, at the start of the web of the thumb at 40 degrees or in the pit of the web of your thumb at 35 degrees, depending on the weight of the pen, or if it is posted or not.

....I let a pen pick it's own place to rest. Lighter will rest higher.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yafa/Monteverde = good chance you'll need to work on the nib in order to get the best performance. I can't help feeling the Artista Crystal was really a design flaw from the get-go. It is too short in the barrel - so much so the knob on the converter has to be cut back so it fits.

I have bought 6 (still have and use 5) Monteverde pens and have never had any problem with the nibs. I only purchased fine or the 1.1 stub nibs.

Maybe I'm just lucky? Of is it that the pens are generally good?

2 Impressa - , fine and 1.1

3 Invincia Cold Fusion 2 fine, 1 stub

1 Invincia actually that one was a medium (and I sold it). It wrote smoothly.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

my son bought one (his first fp) for college, liked it so much he bought another for a spare. however, one of them simply stopped writing. i looked it over, cleaned it thoroughly, and, no matter whether cartridge or converter, while there is ink in the feed, none reaches the tines unless it is forced down using the converter. in the meantime, he bought a third, and it is a satisfactory spare. it's too inexpensive to send off for repair, so we may just chalk it up to poor quality control in an attractive, cheap pen. one lesson here for anyone considering this path: the cost of the three is pretty close to the cost of a pelikan m200!

• 2 years later...

Has Monteverde discontinued the Artista Crystal? I bought one from Goulet Pens last October, logged today to find it's not available anymore. On Monteverde's website I can only find them under the retired section, but only the ones that've been retired for a while (lime green, yellow, orange). Are they gone?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

Monteverde does retire pen models from time to time. There might be a few left around. I see PenChalet has a pink set

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire