Sunny Experiments - # 4 - Need Help

amberleadavis

Howdy all.

I'm ready to begin a new experiment.

This one will be as comprehensive as the group can make it.

As you know, three experiments are already underway.

Experiment 1

Experiment 2

Toner / Solid Ink / FP - Experiment 3

I have started compiling a list of inks and making sheets. I have the perfect location for this experiment. A 1952 Union Pacific Caboose --- I'm going to put the pages in the windows for the whole summer.

90 days

So, I'm thinking that any pages you want me to post, you create. Send me the entire page. I'll scan it, post the images, cut the pages and tape up the half sheets in the summer sun. Once the time has run, I'll take them down, scan them them again and post them up here.

So, let me know if you are in! Also, post your ideas for what kinds of information we want each person to post about their experiment.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• colrehogan

• kushbaby

• reval

Think of this as the great summer experiment in the style of Phineas and Ferb.

You can do regular sheets / test sheets or doodles.

Does anyone want to play?

I'm going to do about 200 ink samples.....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

And here's the thing, you don't have to use any particular pen, ink or paper.

I'm even getting adventurous with my tests.....

I still haven't done a wash on this one, but I will.

You can wash them in water / acetone / bleach -- whatever you want (but warn me if I need to wear gloves).

A 1952 Union Pacific Caboose --- I'm going to put the pages in the windows for the whole summer.

Gotta see pix of that! It's just abandoned?

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

A 1952 Union Pacific Caboose --- I'm going to put the pages in the windows for the whole summer.

Nah. I'm just weird.

Decades ago Union Pacific was selling off all the cabooses. Modern technology made cabooses obsolete. So, my dad and I bought several and resold them. We bought this one for $5k, sold it for $10k and bought it back for $20k then spent another $10k to move it. Before you think that's a bad investment the guy I sold it to spent about $70k remodeling it. He added windows, wired it for electricity and phones, put in airconditioning, oak wainscoting and silk brocade wall coverings. It is amazing. I used it as my office for many years. Now it is the back storage room. I'll upload a picture soon. I can't get a good distance shot because I live in a track house and the caboose takes up most of the yard, but it still gets lots of sun.

Nah. I'm just weird.

Decades ago Union Pacific was selling off all the cabooses. Modern technology made cabooses obsolete. So, my dad and I bought several and resold them. We bought this one for $5k, sold it for $10k and bought it back for $20k then spent another $10k to move it. Before you think that's a bad investment the guy I sold it to spent about $70k remodeling it. He added windows, wired it for electricity and phones, put in airconditioning, oak wainscoting and silk brocade wall coverings. It is amazing. I used it as my office for many years. Now it is the back storage room. I'll upload a picture soon. I can't get a good distance shot because I live in a track house and the caboose takes up most of the yard, but it still gets lots of sun.

The fact that you have a U.P. caboose in your back yard is perhaps the coolest thing I have read on this entire forum!!!

Nah. I'm just weird.

The fact that you have a U.P. caboose in your back yard is perhaps the coolest thing I have read on this entire forum!!!

roflmho.gifmsg-74729-0-63972400-1337674804.jpg

So, I've had questions about paper / ink / scans / other materials.

So, yes Watch_Art is going to contribute some pen parts to see how they hold up.

As for worrying about inks that might be repeated, I have started a spreadsheet with the list of inks that I have started making sheets for, BUT I think we shouldn't worry about duplicate inks because then we can compare the paper or the pens.

What do you all think?

Here are some thoughts from a fellow Inker

-- You want to make a list of inks I have in your list // I have which are not in your list?

This is my opinion, but I'm willing to leave it up to the group. I have a list but I don't know that you have to worry about duplicating inks because then we can compare how the same ink reacts differently to different paper or pens. PM with your email address and I'll add you to the users of the google doc. We can track what paper we used, what ink and what pens. Also, the ink that is available in one country may actually be different from the ink of the same name available in another.

-- By "covered" do you mean where I wrote a review on it // have ever written with it in a pen // also made a few notes to myself e.g. too dry, too green? I've never talked (to myself) about shading except w/a in a review.

I think any paper you've ever written on would be fine. I think you could take your old samples or reviews - anything that you would like to see how it reacts to sunlight. I think we should try and keep it something that I can divide and reconnect so we can keep part of it from the light and heat. (So, the ink should be on both halves of the paper, the one that goes in the sun and the one that goes in the file cabinet until the end of the experiment.).

-- You want any writing on paper and shipping by ordinary mail? Or would scans or photos do?

You can scan it or photograph it before you send it to me, but you must send the original because otherwise you won't know how the ink held up, only how the inkjet ink held up.

-- You want to collect any experience I ever made // a more elaborate mini-review instead?

Whatever you want!

Deadlines... Hmm....

How about we start this on the first day of summer:

The First Day of Summer (Summer Solstice) is on Wednesday, June 20, 2012.

So, all papers (or other objects) must received by me before June 19 at 5pm. So that I can put them up that night and the official start is on Wednesday.

On September 21, 2012, I'll take everything down and scan it. Depending on the results, if we are excited, maybe I'll put them back up for another 3 months. (But I don't want to promise that yet).

I'll upload all the scans on the 19th and again when the experiment has ended.

Next question -

Amount of space. Yes, it's true, cabooses don't traditionally have a lot of windows....

Here's what mine would have looked like originally. I'll go take pictures this week.

Now picture that the windows in the cupola are the same. The cupola is large enough to fit an American double bed.

The windows by the door remain the same and the windows closest to each end remain the same, but we added windows across both sides of the caboose. So the result is mostly windows.

Nevertheless, you can have as much space as you want. If I run out of caboose windows, I have a house with windows and office with windows and if we still run out, we'll take over some windows.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/04/89/39/caboose-at-heritage-station.jpg

Edited by amberleadavis

Next question that was asked...

Can you help or participate if you don't have lots of inks?

YES YES YES

I could use help!

Lapis has volunteered to keep track of which inks are being used.

Assuming that we want to track this stuff, we could use some volunteers to:

1. Keep track of which inks anyone wants to see
  2. Keep track of who has / is sending samples
  3. Keep track of which papers are being used
  4. Keep track of how many sheets we should have
  5. Keep track of nibs / pens

Edited by amberleadavis

Ah ha the perfect way to describe it -- Bi-lateral or symmetrical pages please.

So, I'm thinking that any pages you want me to post, you create. Send me the entire page. I'll scan it, post the images, cut the pages and tape up the half sheets in the summer sun. Once the time has run, I'll take them down, scan them them again and post them up here.

Ummm.... I mean that's all fine and good but do you ever plan on taking a nap and/or getting something to eat? I could send you a bucket of tzatziki or a barrel of chili con carne. Or is there a Burger King or KFC on the block?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Ummm.... I mean that's all fine and good but do you ever plan on taking a nap and/or getting something to eat? I could send you a bucket of tzatziki or a barrel of chili con carne. Or is there a Burger King or KFC on the block?

Mike

Herr Lapis von Ink,

I think you have identified a potential flaw in my plan.

I have two identical scanners so that autofeed and scan at 20 ppm so that should be fairly quick. I won't be able to upload the images for a while after that (unless I get everything early - ha ha). I will need to do the scans before I post the pages. I think all the scans should be done on the same scanner if possible. What do you think? Would it better to have everyone scan them before hand?

I was going to use a paper cutter to cut several pages at once, so we should ask everyone to try and make the pages left right symmetrical if at all possible?

http://www.fujitsu.com/img/COMP/fcpa/scanners/s1500m_header.gif

I love to participate!

I'll submit:

Akkerman Inks

• #16 Oranje Boven
  • #18 Garuda Rood
  • #22 Hopjesbruin
  • #23 Bekakt Haags
  • #26 Groenmarkt Smaragd

Pharmacist's IG Inks

• Urkundentinte, autumn 2011 batch
  • Urkundentinte for dip pens, autumn 2011 batch
  • Darkening Absinthe, spring 2012 batch
  • Oriens-Occidens, spring 2012 batch

I have Platinum's blue nano-particle ink, I can submit a writing sample of that too, but maybe there is somebody who can prepare a test page with thins ink together with other Sailor/Platinum pigmented inks.

I can help keep track of which inks people want to see, and I'll try and have a few sheets put together to send to you by mid-June in a format similar to your samples.

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. :clap1:

EDIT: It's definitely the most accurate if the same person does all the scans, but I can understand that, for logistical reasons, it might be more convenient to have us each do our own scans. Depends how bored you are, I guess. :P

Edited by Ad_Astra

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

I'm completely psychologically sidetracked by imagining having a caboose that looks like that bright yellow model in the back yard. My wife would never allow it, but it has now become a secret fantasy world since I have always loved everything about trains. For me that's at least 1,000 times cooler than an ink experiment--but that's just me, everyone else should just ignore my rantings and pay attention to the ink tests.

I keep asking myself -- among many other things -- how you managed to get that thing imported/exported. By plane, bus, helicopter, or is there a set of rails coincidentally going through your back yard?

Huh?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)