The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platninum Izumo Sora Tamenuri

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:36

I picked up another Izumo pen and this is a Sora Tamanuri (Green). Sora means sky in Japanese; but, the color is green. Similar to my Aka Tamenuri, the shading is very subtle and elegant. I like Izumo series pens because of their ebonite body sculpted elegantly and covered masterfully with urushi finish. The nib is B. Since this is a Platinum nib, it is similar to Pelikan's wet M nibs in terms of line width.

I skip the box picture as other Izumo owners had posted them already in different threads.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
A President nib is used for this pen. No issues with the nib; butterly smooth based on my dip test. To date, I have been blessed all of my Platinum pens came with perfect nibs. I could not say the same thing for other pens. I hope you can see the subtle green shading.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 13:03

N.I.C.E. Pen! How about a written review?

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#3 ink mixer

ink mixer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 14:04

Nice pictures! I couldn't see the green on my screen, but I trust you that it is there. You do a better job marketing for Platinum than Platinum's own marketing department. Anyway, I have a few questions. How wet is the nib? How does the color compare to heki-tamenuri because that finish is also green, right? Oh, and for a more general question, why isn't the Izumo line marketed under the Nakaya brand? Thank you.

Edited by ink mixer, 19 May 2012 - 14:05.

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 15:08

Lovely, I really like the wasp-waisted barrel.

#5 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 17:05

I have been lusting after one of these for a while now. Darn you for showing pics!!! ;) Beautiful, and now that I have purchased a Platinum, I know their nibs are fantastic.... must go cry in the corner now, as I've spent all my pen money for the next 100 years :(

Enjoy yours!
Tamara

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 17:29

Beautiful Sora-Tame, many congratulations!

My Akatame says Hi:

Posted Image

Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 00:08

Anyway, I have a few questions. How wet is the nib? How does the color compare to heki-tamenuri because that finish is also green, right? Oh, and for a more general question, why isn't the Izumo line marketed under the Nakaya brand? Thank you.

The nib behaves in a well controlled manner. I find all of my Platinums (F, M and B ) performs in this manner. No gushing blobby mess. No skipping and dryness. I don't want to jinx myself by praising any more.:) Compared to Pilot's Con-50 converter, I can fill the Platinum converter to the max mostly in a first try. I cannot say this with CON-50 at all.

I believe Heki Tananuri is done using a different type of urushi, as Sora Tamanuri's color is distinctly different from it. Sora is more subtle greenish shade.
The Izumo line was created by Platinum's founder, calling back to his home town. He made a deal with the local council in Izumo to brand his pens under that name.

Nakaya is Platinum's subsidiary company and each branch caters to different types of markets, I believe. The analogy can be like Toyota (=Platinum) and Lexus (=Nakaya). The basic foundation of the pens are almost the same; but, as Lexus adds higher end leathers, exterior paint coated multiple times (about 8 times? compared to a few times for the non luxary cars), Nakaya can adjust and/or finish the pens according to an individual customer's requests (you can see this on Nakaya's order form).

Here are the side-by-side pictures for the Izumo pens. Aka Tamenuri, Sora Tamenuri and Tagayasan.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pen2009, 20 May 2012 - 00:09.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#8 steviebee

steviebee

AoxoMoxoA

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 00:56

Wow, truly beautiful pens with such natural organic styling. I am in love, but my wallet just died...

(It can be resuscitated tho - hopefully. I will just have to start saving...).

Thanks for some beautiful pictures of some gorgeous pens.
"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...."

#9 ggggggh

ggggggh

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:39

Anyway, I have a few questions. How wet is the nib? How does the color compare to heki-tamenuri because that finish is also green, right? Oh, and for a more general question, why isn't the Izumo line marketed under the Nakaya brand? Thank you.

The nib behaves in a well controlled manner. I find all of my Platinums (F, M and B ) performs in this manner. No gushing blobby mess. No skipping and dryness. I don't want to jinx myself by praising any more.:) Compared to Pilot's Con-50 converter, I can fill the Platinum converter to the max mostly in a first try. I cannot say this with CON-50 at all.

I believe Heki Tananuri is done using a different type of urushi, as Sora Tamanuri's color is distinctly different from it. Sora is more subtle greenish shade.
The Izumo line was created by Platinum's founder, calling back to his home town. He made a deal with the local council in Izumo to brand his pens under that name.

Nakaya is Platinum's subsidiary company and each branch caters to different types of markets, I believe. The analogy can be like Toyota (=Platinum) and Lexus (=Nakaya). The basic foundation of the pens are almost the same; but, as Lexus adds higher end leathers, exterior paint coated multiple times (about 8 times? compared to a few times for the non luxary cars), Nakaya can adjust and/or finish the pens according to an individual customer's requests (you can see this on Nakaya's order form).

Here are the side-by-side pictures for the Izumo pens. Aka Tamenuri, Sora Tamenuri and Tagayasan.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Could you share the dimensions of these pens? It seems the wood one is longer than the other two ebonite. I thought they should be of the same size...

#10 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:51

Could you share the dimensions of these pens? It seems the wood one is longer than the other two ebonite. I thought they should be of the same size...

The Tame-nuri versions are based on ebonite while the Tayagasan is based on the actual tagawasan wood. Even though they are branded under Izumo, the base materials are totally different.
The specs are shown here.

#11 arran

arran

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 16:57

I have both the F and the M nib on the izumo.
One of the pens I mostly write with in my collection. No problems with driness or skippiness whatsoever.
Very constant writing. The nib feels very solid and almost non fexible though.
I just love the modest styling and the perfect form and behaviour while writing.

#12 Horseknitter

Horseknitter

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 19:13

The Tame-nuri versions are based on ebonite while the Tayagasan is based on the actual tagawasan wood. Even though they are branded under Izumo, the base materials are totally different.

Before I bought my Nakaya (here on FPN classifieds) I researched the Izumo. I could not read the page (all Japanese) you referenced but my recollection is that the Izuomo even the tamenuris are significantly larger/heavier pens. Is that your experience?

TIA

#13 ggggggh

ggggggh

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 20:55

Thanks for the link. It confirms that the wood version is 10mm longer.

#14 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 15:07

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2012 - 15:11

Anyone knows why Platinum chose to coat the Tagyasan Izumo with syntheic Urethane lacquer? Cost reasons or some technical issues?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#16 plumon

plumon

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 23:49

Nice pictures! I couldn't see the green on my screen, but I trust you that it is there. You do a better job marketing for Platinum than Platinum's own marketing department. Anyway, I have a few questions. How wet is the nib? How does the color compare to heki-tamenuri because that finish is also green, right? Oh, and for a more general question, why isn't the Izumo line marketed under the Nakaya brand? Thank you.

All of your excellent questions were answered by other fellow members except for the last one. But I'm glad that they don't because that would make the Izumos much more expensive. I hope I can get one before their price goes up.

#17 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:07

I now have 3 Izumo Sora Tame (F, M and B )

IMG_4576_zps280507a3.jpg

IMG_4577_zpsee9bbfa0.jpg

Each one of them is slightly different from each other as far as Greenish shade is concerned. 

IMG_4578_zpsce1073ae.jpg

IMG_4579_zps449e6c7f.jpg

Edited by Pen2009, 12 October 2013 - 09:07.

#18 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:28

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Izumo is one of the best pens out there, and an absolute bargain at the price.

Thanks for the review!  :thumbup:

Too many pens; too little writing.

#19 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:51

great pen and thanks for sharing :thumbup: :puddle:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#20 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:56

I now have 3 Izumo Sora Tame (F, M and B )

:notworthy1: :yikes:

and here this poor man is yearning for just a single Soratame. :crybaby:

Sponsored Content

|