Edison Pearl

Jimmy James

Find photos and the hand-written version of the review text at my blog: The Inked Nib

Edison Pearl LEA

Staples Sustainable Earth Paper (page 1)

Staples Signa Paper (page 2)

Diamine Majestic Blue

Brian Gray is a true craftsman, and he is also a super great guy. He agreed to create two separate versions of his custom Pearl for a group buy of eager Edison fans.

I bought the Blue acrylic LEA instead of the wood-tone ebonite LEE. My pen is #36 of 40, and it features a very smooth steel nib in broad. The acrylic features a beautiful pearlescent flake and deep cobalt blue tones. It is a striking material that I hope to use in a custom pen in the future.

The Pearl is a very comfortable shape. The section has a concave shape, and the pen is just long enough to be comfortable unposted. The pen posts quite nicely except that the cap actually hits the web of my hand and comes down off over time. The pen is a cartridge/converter filler that can also function as an eyedropper.

The pen is just under 5 inches without cap. It's about 6 1/2 inches posted. The pen is balanced either way. When closed, the pen is 5 1/2 inches. The girth of the pen is nearly 1/2 inch at its widest point.

The lack of a piston filling mechanism and gold nib with stubbish qualities puts this pen behind my Lamy 2000. I also rate my Bexley Corona ahead of this pen.

At $170, this pen was $80 cheaper than a custom Edison. It isn't a value like a Noodler's Konrad or TWSBI Vac 700, but no pen I own quite stands out like this one. I am very glad to own it.

Special thanks to Brian and Rachel Goulet for coordinating the group buy. Thanks and praise to Brian Gray for the fantastic pen.

At the suggestion of our moderator, I am posting the handwritten review and a photo. :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5312/7213427804_81215046c0_z.jpg

Review by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7213432650_10b67736e3_z.jpg

Review by Erechtheus, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7232/7213265406_7538b383d3_z.jpg

Edison Pearl by Erechtheus, on Flickr

At the encouragement of the moderator, here are the other photos! :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7213263788_9c86516756_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/7213262414_9d6ede37f7_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7219/7213261206_cc84066bf1_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8008/7213259556_b73df63075_z.jpg

Edited by watch_art

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• watch_art

• jimhughes

• Brian C

The group buy in question was run by the Goulets in our own Market Watch forum. It wasn't an official group buy of FPN, but it was done on this board. I'm also a part of a group buy with Badger and Blade which will involve June delivery of an Edison Herald Grande in blue and black ebonite.

I'm not sure of any additional 2012 group buy opportunities, but I do know there is a limited edition Edison Nouveau Premiere in Cherry Cordial Ebonite for sale at Goulet which would be a similar thing. I also know there has been talk of having the Pearl group buy turn into an annual event so I'd say keep watching the Market Watch forum in early 2013.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Thanks for deciding to post the review and pictures directly. I don't know why, I just never seem to go to external links.

Your photos make the pen look gorgeous. Is it really that dark in person?

Thanks for deciding to post the review and pictures directly. I don't know why, I just never seem to go to external links.

My biggest concern in doing things the way I did is that it seemed to me like a lot of reviews from before the board transition were missing photos and things so I thought a link might minimize that. In talking it over with Shawn and thinking it over, that's really no reason to not put the photos here. My blog link is there so that if there are broken links in the future on this version my blog will hopefully still be there.

Your photos make the pen look gorgeous. Is it really that dark in person?

I think the photos are pretty representative, but the material is also variable. I think from some angles, the pen looks lighter than that and from others it looks that way. I think it's partly the angle light hits the pen and partly how the sanding/buffing/whatever process dealt with the material. It's a really nice material.

Beautiful pics and gorgeous pen.

Thanks!

Thanks to you for your guidance.

Believe it or not, that's photography by iPhone 4S. I have several digicams (nothing as nice as a DSLR), but of late the camera phone has been getting more and more of my work because it is always there and, compared to many older phones I have had, does a really respectable job.

Edited by Jimmy James

My biggest concern in doing things the way I did is that it seemed to me like a lot of reviews from before the board transition were missing photos ...

Believe it or not, that's photography by iPhone 4S.

The reason those photos are all gone or broken is b/c they were uploaded to free hosting accounts, and when they got full the photos got pushed back and basically made invisible - or the user deleted the photos forgetting that they were linked to FPN. Or any other reasons... but that's why we love having the photos hosted on FPN - so they don't disappear years down the road.

And that camera phone takes some sweet pics.

puddle.gifpuddle.gifpuddle.gifpuddle.gif I so wanted to order both of the group buy Edison Pearl LEs, but since I bought a custom Pearl a few months ago just couldn't bring myself to do it. I knew I'd regret it. I hope you enjoy your beautiful pen for many years to come.

Tamara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been using my LEA (24 of 40) more and more. It is the third Pearl I've owned and I continue to believe that the Pearl shape is absolutely perfect.

I have been using my LEA (24 of 40) more and more. It is the third Pearl I've owned and I continue to believe that the Pearl shape is absolutely perfect.

What you said. I have a red and Black Swirl XF Gold nib. A black Ebonite XF gold nib with Shinn Urushi, Aka Tamenuri.

The NMPCC Cracked Turquoise with F Steel nib. Arranging now for a Yellow and Black Swirl with a XF Gold Nib. I'm using them more than my Custom Edison Flat Top, My Mina , Pearlette, or my Gem currently.

Gorgeous pen. I love the color. I didn't realize the Pearl could post. Thanks for the pics.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

congrats on a nice very pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

how firmly does the cap stay on when it "posts" - I thought Brian Gray stated the Pearl doesn't post. Is it just wobbly and falls off, or is it fairly secure such that can you write with it posted?