Legrand Rollerball Refill Sucks...

Fleetlord

The refills are pretty much done if the tip gets damaged in any way. If your writing style doesn't work with a rollerball and you routinely damage them, then you can try switching to a fineliner refill (though I'm unsure if those work with the Legrand body).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• suhao

• macball

• Shelumiel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it hard to believe that the rollerball tip is getting damaged through normal use. Are you sure that the cartridge is filled with ink? Even new ones may have been on the shelf for awhile and partially dried out. Rollerballs will start to misbehave before they completely run out. This is unlike fountain pens that write perfectly well down to the last microliter of ink. I know many people have complained about the short life of the rollerball refills. Have you tried filling a problematic rollerball refill with fresh ink using the methods described in other threads on this website to see if the problem disappears? I have been using the same rollerball and highlighter refills filled with fountain pen ink for more than a year.

I'm surprised I didn't start this post! Haha. I've lived with this issue since my first MB, it's driven me towards their ball points honestly. What I've found is that there is just inconsistency. I've come across great refills that last until dry and others that are sup-par brand new. I have found the Pacific Blue seems to have less issues, in the regular and Legrand size refills. While the specialty colors bring even more disappointment. I just think they haven't quite perfected machining that little ball!

I did love the Cross felt-tip refill! Montblanc's has a neat design where the tip is springy and retracts into the refill with light pressure, I just wish you could get the Medium fineliner refill per the Broad is too thick for me.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

• 2 years later...

Thanks to Suhao for posting his suggestion on this topic.

I just installed a Cross rollerball refill in my Le Grand.

I took the (blue) shipping cap off of the new Cross refill and posted it to the end of the refill securely. I then cut the soft plastic cap down bit by bit until the barrel caught and screwed into the tip, all while keeping the nib exposed properly and securely.

Sick and tired of buying $9-$10 Le Grand refills to be constantly disappointed as they prematurely dry out.

Nothing wrong with Cross refills and I ain't too proud to write with one in my Meisterstuck 162.

I'm not sure if my experience is unique but I thought that I would share it. I find that purchasing from a botique vs any other place like Amazon or even staples makes a huge difference. I find that the botique refills last between 3-4 months, where as the others tend to last 30 days before skipping appears. This is with equal usage.

Those were medium point results. I find that the broad points last much longer. After 4-6 months it seems to narrow down to a medium width and it takes a few months after that for skipping to start.

I also have a capless rollerball M. That pen sees less usage, but I purchased it about 10 months ago, and it writes as fresh as the day I purchased it.

I've never emptied a rollerball completely, even after years in a few old pens, the ink came out just narrow and it skipped. I'm guessing that the ink looses its performance solely based on freshness. Unlike ballpoints which will last for years and just go dead when the ink runs out.

I've actually never let a fountain pen run dry either as I will maintain them long before the ink runs out.

Rollerballs are filled with fountain pen ink and the cartridge is not sealed. In addition to a firm, but not perfect, fit at the ball bearing there is a breather hole sleeve at the nose. As soon as they are manufactured they begin to dry out leading to the variability (based on age from date of manufacture) described above. If you top a refill with ink you would be surprised at the longevity of a LeGrand refill and its reliability.

Aha!

Topping up the refill is easily done. All you need is a syringe and some nice MB ink.

Edited by meiers

• 3 weeks later...

LeGrand fineliner refills are now available in black and blue. They are listed as "broad" and write a line width between 0.5 and 1mm. They write very smoothly. I just got them the day before yesterday so I can't yet comment on the longevity of the refill. Also, I was unaware of this, but the LeGrand roller balls are now available in broad point. You might have better luck with those.

• 5 years later...
On 4/29/2014 at 5:44 AM, suhao said:

See attached Cross felt tip in my LeGrand pin stripe....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Suhao - which is the cross refill you used? I just installed the pentel refill but it needs something at the back to increase the length. I think what pennut has suggested needs to be added. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2016 at 10:28 AM, macball said:

Rollerballs are filled with fountain pen ink and the cartridge is not sealed. In addition to a firm, but not perfect, fit at the ball bearing there is a breather hole sleeve at the nose. As soon as they are manufactured they begin to dry out leading to the variability (based on age from date of manufacture) described above. If you top a refill with ink you would be surprised at the longevity of a LeGrand refill and its reliability.

I agree, I have a feeling because a rollerball refill doesn't ahed a "feed" like a fountain pen the air pressure balance is off as you use it more and more.