The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

C.e. Levi Colossus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JOBPM

JOBPM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:50

I snagged this back in early 2011.

Out of the box 10/10
This pen came in a small, simple pinewood box, swaddled in felt cloth. No nonsense, just beautifully presented.

Appearance 10/10

colossus03.jpg

I love the way this pen looks. Thereís nothing else quite like it, and I feel itís appropriate in almost any setting. It is at once futuristic and retro. I could see this pen sitting on my grandfatherís or my (eventual) grandchildís desk (I have no doubt that it will last at least that long, but weíll get to that in a minute). I have several pens sitting out at any one time, and my friends (all non-pen people) always ask about this one. Itís very eye catching, but without being flashy at all. Commanding is the word.
Perhaps the best part about the appearance of this pen is how it will change. The brass is already starting to patina, taking on a frosty coat. This is one of those objects that will age with grace.

Construction and design 10/10

colossus08.jpg

You could drive nails with this thing. Itís very solidly built and quite heavy (71.66 grams filled, with cap, 48.62 grams without). The nib and feed are original Sheaffer. The pen sports a button filler with a silicone sac.
Everything about this pen is well constructed. The cap threads turn like butter, and tighten down securely (2 & 3/4 turns). Theyíre absolutely airtight. I almost always have this pen inked and occasionally it will sit for a couple weeks without use. Not once has it failed to start.

Feel 9.5/10
This is a very nice feeling pen. It is very heavy, but so well balanced the weight just seems to melt away. I imagine that such a heavy pen would be better suited to those who write at a lower angle, allowing the pen to rest on the web of the thumb and forefinger. Edging the barrel up to the first knuckle is rather tiring. Writing doesnít feel sluggish but Iím a slow writer in general, so YMMV. My letters seem to round off a bit more than usually when using this pen. The weight does become an issue for me when Iím writing on a steeply inclined surface, as the barrel is forced against my thumb and I have to grip a little harder to keep the pen from rotating. Sitting at a desk though, itís golden. The brass and ebonite warm up nicely.

Nib 9.5/10

colossus04.jpg

A perfectly tuned, fine Sheaffer Lifetime with its respective feed. Very smooth and nail-like. Not much to say here other than that itís fantastic. Has never skipped or hard started. My only gripe is that it seems to experience a bit more creep than most of my other pens.

Value 10/10
This is an expensive pen no doubt, but the performance is on par with the price point. With a little TLC I think you could easily pass this down for a few generations.

Overall 59/60

At the time of purchase I hadn't really started to narrow down what exactly I liked in a pen. I've since moved away from heavier pens, but I still use this one almost every night for journaling. It's just a comfortable, unique, and luxurious experience.

colossus14.jpg
For size comparison. Left to right: Pelikan M400, Lamy 2000, TWSBI 530, Parker 51, Colossus.

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 18:22

Thanks for the review. The size comparison is a big help. Is the section original to the nib and feed or is it new?

#3 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:04

Wow, the size comparison is interesting..."Colossus" doesn't seem to fit as a name. That's teeny!

Edited by opus7600, 15 May 2012 - 19:04.

#4 JOBPM

JOBPM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:10

Thanks for the review. The size comparison is a big help. Is the section original to the nib and feed or is it new?

The section is new.

Wow, the size comparison is interesting..."Colossus" doesn't seem to fit as a name. That's teeny!

I think the name is more in reference to the weight. :P

#5 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 22:08

Nice Review, The size comparison was especially helpful!

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#6 awc

awc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2012 - 21:05

Nice review!

I really appreciated the size comparison. I've got one on order, and I wanted to make a pen wrap in the coming weeks. This will make it much easier to decided how large to make each slot.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

#7 JOBPM

JOBPM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 15:14

Adding this photo of the pen taken right after it was made. Should give you some idea of the developing patina.
jbcolossus-002.jpg

#8 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 15:40

Fantastic review of a pen that keeps catching my eye. The size comparison is very helpful. Can't help but be concerned about the weight, though, seeing as how I use Nakayas mostly. Hm.

Beautiful pen, though.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Sponsored Content

|