What Are Your 5 Must Own Pens ....

goldiesdad

Since i am new to this forum I wanted to find out what the "masses" felt like are must own pens ...

I am not going to look at the grail of fountain pens just ones you need to have in your collection ...

These are the pens you really enjoy writing with for whatever reason.

I am starting :

Parker 51

Esterbrook J

I don't own these yet but looking.

Thanks

Scott

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goldiesdad

• tomgartin

• TLab3000

• ethernautrix

I would have added more but I don't know of any others yet ...

These might not be the most desired ones, but these are some pens that I would enjoy having, and can also possibly afford currently :roflmho:

-Sheaffer Snorkel: I thought this pen was terribly ugly when I first got into pens. However, now I find that I actually have come to quite like their look. Plus, I've heard great things about this pen!

-Esterbrook J: Scoping around here, people seem to have great experiences with this pen and it comes with a nice price tag too! :P

-Noodler's Konrad: I've never tried flex, and this looks like an inexpensive start.

-Visconti Van Gogh: I LOVE the design. <-- That's an okay reason to want to have something right? ;)

-Parker Duofold Sr: I like this pen for many of the reasons I have already used for other pens above: aesthetic appeal, great reviews on FPN, etc. However, I'm hoping that I will be able to come across one while antiquing. I've been able to get some sweet deals so far, and this is currently what I'd like to call my antiquing grail pen. Hopefully, my garage sale rummaging, classified ads snooping and antique store exploring will one day land me one of these!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

I think you -need- a:

Lamy 2000 (An icon. Enough said.)

TWSBI 540 (super affordable piston filler that's backed by excellent customer service)

Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Vista (whichever you prefer; the design is the same)

Sailor 1911 (whichever variant you like, but the nibs have garnered nothing but praise that I've seen here)

Pilot Vanishing Point (Neat design)

Pelikan M200/205/215 (Perfect EDC pen, but if our pick is instead for one of the larger Pelikans, I don't think anyone would begrudge you that)

...that's all I can think of for now.

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

"-Sheaffer Snorkel: I thought this pen was terribly ugly when I first got into pens. However, now I find that I actually have come to quite like their look. Plus, I've heard great things about this pen!"

Keepitfresh

I found one of these pens in my Dad's things great for you to mention it. Now to get it fixed ..

I would say that to make a collection a collection you should have a Pelikan 100, Pelikan 140, Aurora 88(vintage), Montblanc 149, Parker Vacumatic any size, and a Soennecken 510.

Never heard of a Soennecken 510 looking this one up ... Thanks

I would say that to make a collection a collection you should have a Pelikan 100, Pelikan 140, Aurora 88(vintage), Montblanc 149, Parker Vacumatic any size, and a Soennecken 510.

I am partial to Nakaya, but I'm not a collector.

The other suggestions sound good: Sheaffer Snorkel, Parker 51, Esterbrook.

Throw in a Waterman 52 and maybe a Montblanc Writer Edition (Hemingway maybe).

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Here are my top 5, based on writing experience:

1. Nakaya Neo-Standard (with a tamenuri finish)
  2. Sailor 1911 large or Pro Gear.
  3. Pilot 823
  4. Lamy 2000
  5. Pilot M90

It's virtually all Japanese, I know. I started off in Western pens, mostly German, but I graduated toward the Japanese pens over time. I've had much better experiences, on average, with the Japanese makers.

Steve

Thanks for responding ... I am checking them out ... so far lots of variety which is good ...

Thanks

Scott

Here are my top 5, based on writing experience:

1. Nakaya Neo-Standard (with a tamenuri finish)
  2. Sailor 1911 large or Pro Gear.
  3. Pilot 823
  4. Lamy 2000
  5. Pilot M90

It's virtually all Japanese, I know. I started off in Western pens, mostly German, but I graduated toward the Japanese pens over time. I've had much better experiences, on average, with the Japanese makers.

Visconti HS: The only one of the pens on my list that I actially own. Love the material, love the nib, love the appearance.

Montblanc 149: A classic that I wish I had in my arsenal. I've tried it out, but I've never had enough cash to take the plunge

Pelikan M1000: see above. Also, to me, this seems a perfect middle ground between the HS and 149 in terms of nibs, specifically in terms of "springyness".

Delta Roma Imperiale: I love large pens, and along with several japanese pens like the namiki emperor and some indian eyedroppers, this is the epitome of a large pen.

Pilot Vanishing Point: I had a VP, and I loved it, both for its practicality and for its nib. I lost it a few months ago, and hadn't it been for the HS, I would have probably been close to despair. I should get on my case about getting a replacement.

-Olli

My personal, admittedly eccentric, top five favorites.....

1. a custom Edison bulb-filler (I actually have two, an Edison and a Morgan)

2. Bexley Corona

3. Sheaffer Snorkel (with the Triumph-style nib, please!)

4. Pilot Vanishing Point

5. TWSBI Diamond 540

+1 on a Noodler's Konrad.

It's inexpensive, holds a lot of ink (without being too big and horsy), and is designed for people who like to tinker. I haven't with mine; it didn't do so well right out of the box, but when I refilled it (BSiAR both times) it behaved nicely. I don't tend to flex mine too much; normal writing seems to be an F-XF equivalent.

I don't have a lot of pens (yet!) and haven't gotten around to trying all the ones I have. I love my Parker Vector (although it writes very wet -- didn't used to....). I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Not so enamored of the Urban, though.

I'd love to get a Parker 51 because they're just classy.

Saw a Esterbrook in an antique store last week (I'm pretty sure, from looking at the pictures that's it's a J transitional); it was cheap and a really pretty color, and the lever seemed to be in pretty good shape -- but I couldn't figure out how to get it opened up to check out the rest. It seemed to be some sort of promotional pen, and the nib definitely needed cleaning. Once I get more knowledgeable about vintage pens I may wander back there and see if it's still around....

Weirdly, now that i'm getting used to the strange nib, I'm starting to like my Guanleming calligraphy pen....

Hmm. I think that's 5....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If you are building a list of the Game Changers in the history of Fountain Pens and really wanted to limit it to five I'd suggest:

1. Sheaffer Senior Flat Top lever filler
  2. Sheaffer Balance vacfil
  3. Parker "51"
  4. Sheaffer Triumph (early fat bodied)
  5. Sheaffer PFM

1. Pilot VP - GREAT pen, durable, unique design makes it a top on my list.

2. Parker Vacumatic, doesn't matter which - a great vintage pen that can often be had for a good price. Great writers, and an interesting filling mechanism.

3. TWSBI 540 - This is the yardstick that every pen under $100 is measured against, in my book. For $60, you can get your paws on a demonstrator piston-filler that is easy to maintain, has a HUGE ink capacity, and writes well. And the Stell Nib units are $20 each, and come in sizes ranging from EF to B, with a few custom ones as well (I think.)

4. Visconti HS - Once you get past the shaky reliability, these pens are beautiful. The 23Kt Pd nib is a dream to use, and is super smooth. This one tops my list of things I like to write with.

5. Montblanc 149 - What's to say? THis is THE Classic Fountain Pen. Everyone knows what brand the little white star on the cap represents. I wish I had the cash for one of these lately, as I see it as a classic pen with a highly respected brand behind it.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

Pen preference is individual, similar to footwear/art/music selections.

For me, in a collection, I like to look at the whole, and in a glance, see the historical story.

I've done that with another collectible, and so cannot afford to do that with pensbiggrin.gif

So, my modest version is: (starting with vintage, not favorites).

1) early pens examples in ring tops - including examples of semi-flex nib. (nibs key here)

2) Parker - P51 - aerometric - gf cap

3) Sheaffer - Snorkle - 14K fine (1st fountain pen in childhood)

4) Lamy - Safari - modern - starter - workhorse-reliable - variety of nibs (alternate-include Demonstrator Vista)

5) Pilot - Custom 74 - soft fine 14K - a lot of pen for the money, the springy nib is not for everyone, not quite semi-flex.

Platinum Plaisir just edged out by Safari/Vista.

Just realized there's no Esterbrook on my list. you MUST have an Esterbrook.

Piston fillers in my price range don't fit my hand. [[[ Fit, reliability, top my list ]]]

With the Pilot Custom, am quite satisfied with my lot. The Pilot is my version of bird splat. Yes I have tried, and do appreciate bird splat, just happy with my 74.

There are two pens I will never own, but do very much appreciate. YOL Victorian Pocket. Nakaya hand finishes - the owl motif took my breath away. (so want a Mottishawed cursive italic nib - dream nibwub.gif).

well, I Would like an Edison, and a Newton. what can I say this is an attempt to condense to 5ohmy.gif

Pilot M90 is a looker too.

Edited by pen2paper

Must have's?

1) MB 149 (or 146 for smaller hands)

2) A MB limited edition, live it up

3) A Pelikan M800 or M1000 (or smaller for smaller hands)

4) A Sailor with a music or other exotic nib

5) My wild card is the Waterman Edson.

Make sure one of the top 3 is an oblique nib as well.

Edited by torstar

My five must haves would be:

1. Parker Vacumatic

2. Pelikan m200/400

3. Pelikan m600

4. Pilot vanishing point

5. Vintage Aurora 88 with flexy nib

No particular order. Dont have them all... yet! Have tried them.