Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki - Yo

Sandy1

Tsukiyo means moonlit night. The color does seem to resemble the night sky with a bright full moon. It's more of a blue-charcoal rather than a blue-black to me.

Hi,

Many thanks for the translation! :)

Yet to me the presence is more of water than the night sky.

Bye,

S1

yes, like water--like parasailing over kailua bay--wanna dip down and bathe in it--very warm, fluid and inviting

appears to be the perfect notblue-notblack--esp the c-74 and skyline on rhodia

thank you, ms blue-black---tsuki-yo will be my first iroshizuku ink

as always--- mr blue-black

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• mhosea

• XiaoMG

Hi,

Thanks !

This was one of the inks that waited in the wings for quite some time before appearing here. Even though I've used two bottles of the stuff, I found it very hard to describe in words. And the ink kept showing a bit more, then a bit more, but without being elusive.

Bye,

S1

Maybe 'je ne sais quoi' needs to be another measurement in your fine reviews?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Hi,

Thanks !

This was one of the inks that waited in the wings for quite some time before appearing here. Even though I've used two bottles of the stuff, I found it very hard to describe in words. And the ink kept showing a bit more, then a bit more, but without being elusive.

Bye,

S1

Maybe 'je ne sais quoi' needs to be another measurement in your fine reviews?

Hi,

Bien sûr!

Thanks for the suggestion!! :thumbup:

(Anything but numeric metrics.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Bien sûr!

Thanks for the suggestion!! :thumbup:

(Anything but numeric metrics.)

Science has its uses, but numbers in the end are meaningless. Every person has a different filter to see and feel things through. The 'je ne sais quoi', the intangibles, even with something like an ink, mean more than densitometer readings possibly could.

I hope to find another ink that turns my crank like this one does.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Actually one of my -least- favourite Iroshizuku inks, but this one seems so popular.

The high performance and good lubrication would have something to do with it.

But one thing is not said; that we shall suffer from cowardice, from cravens or the fear of cravens.

Great review ... lot of work goes on in them ... Thanks for posting and sharing ....

Scott

This ink colour reminds me of my latest Montblanc Meisterstuck Diamond ink

Hi,

Somehow I have the impression that the MB LE ink was much more a bright Blue.

I look forward to a comparison with Pt-y.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add: MB Diamond sample LINK

Edited by Sandy1

Actually one of my -least- favourite Iroshizuku inks, but this one seems so popular.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. :thumbup:

I certainly agree that high performance and an enjoyable writing experience are desirable, but its the ink's appearance on the page that has earned it a place on the top shelf. I often overlook / work around an ink's foibles if it can produce the desired result. And some other inks perform perfectly well, yet have limited personal appeal, though they do have their supporters. i.e. The underdogs.

But do tell - which inks are amongst your favourites?

Bye,

S1

Great review ... lot of work goes on in them ... Thanks for posting and sharing ....

Scott

Hi,

You're welcome!

I certainly do like to share, and FPN seems a good place to do so.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I certainly agree that high performance and an enjoyable writing experience are desirable, but its the ink's appearance on the page that has earned it a place on the top shelf. I often overlook / work around an ink's foibles if it can produce the desired result. And some other inks perform perfectly well, yet have limited personal appeal, though they do have their supporters. i.e. The underdogs.

Bye,

S1

Probably, the reason why I don't really like this ink is because I like vibrant, brightly coloured inks that lean more to the purple side of the blue than the green. Tsuki-yo is a tad too dark and too drab for my liking, which was why I was very disappointed with the colour.

My personal favourite among Iroshizuku inks were Tsuyu-kusa and Kon-peki, both being exceptionally vibrant, bright and sufficiently clear, without the effect of dye particles creating "shimmers" around the text.

But one thing is not said; that we shall suffer from cowardice, from cravens or the fear of cravens.

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Probably, the reason why I don't really like this ink is because I like vibrant, brightly coloured inks that lean more to the purple side of the blue than the green. Tsuki-yo is a tad too dark and too drab for my liking, which was why I was very disappointed with the colour.

My personal favourite among Iroshizuku inks were Tsuyu-kusa and Kon-peki, both being exceptionally vibrant, bright and sufficiently clear, without the effect of dye particles creating "shimmers" around the text.

Hi,

I too like the tsuyu-kusa & kon-peki! :thumbup:

I thought tsuyu-kusa was "Perhaps one of the most suitable inks for telling jokes." LINK

Ah, the luxury of so many nice choices!

Bye,

S1

Yeah but, which one! tsuyu-kusa, kon-peke or tsuki-yo! I cannae make my mind up. lol

Tsuki-yo. Nothing else like it.

Many thanks for a first-rate review of a highly regarded and admired ink!

I haven't yet had the opportunity/inclination to experiment with Tsuki-Yo. Some performance aspects look good (shading & water resistance).

My core inks are blue-blacks (i-g or otherwise); Tsuki-Yo appears to venture too far into the (dreaded) blaqua zone for me. I prefer my green-blues/blue-greens to be lighter (more in the turquoise realm) to be employed as a complement/foil to blue-blacks (just my preference).

Again thanks for your effort. One of these days I'll find my own ink review voice...

Hi,

You're welcome!

My inky array also has a strong weighting of the Blue-Black inks, so it was one of the first in the Pilot iroshizuku series to grace my shelves. Initially I thought it was too Green - not what I had hoped to receive. But it was very appealing in its writing experience and range of appearance / malleability that it was soon on the ascent to my upper shelf.

Certainly, the 'base' colour of the ink has a strong Green component, but the nuance that can be achieved with this ink makes it quite special. More so than most inks, I think Pt-y is one that really must be used to fully appreciate.

Bye,

S1

I too was leery of this ink because of its green component and expense. But one day a friend gifted me his barely used bottle saying he just couldn't "get into it." I promised myself I'd give it a full and fair trial, and found, like Sandy, that it is one that really must be used to fully appreciate. And also like Sandy, it is one of the inks that I look forward to using--in a wide variety of pens. When my bottle runs low, I'm sure I'll buy a replacement.

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." -Mark Twain, Following The Equator

Thanks Sandy1, I love this ink, it was the first bottled ink I bought (along with some Noodlers Walnut) and I could be happy with only one if it were this.

nice review!

thanks!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

Thanks Sandy1, I love this ink, it was the first bottled ink I bought (along with some Noodlers Walnut) and I could be happy with only one if it were this.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As tsuki-yo is the first ink you purchased, I reckon it will be tricky to find subsequent inks that measure-up. :)

There are other wonderful inks - they may not top tsuki-yo, but bring something quite different to the party instead.

Bye,

S1

I suspect this is one of those inks I'll just never quite be able to appreciate. I loaded another pen with it to give it a chance, but it just doesn't impress me the way it seems to impress everyone else. It seems like a nice, sober, blue-black, but that's about as much as I can get out of it. I will need to give it a few full pages of text to see if there's something happening at larger scales that I can't see from a short line or two.

Robert.