Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki - Yo

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme from to http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

~ = ~

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/beae816e.jpg

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/c03c2faa.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/th_77cf9863.jpg

Pens: L → R: Sheaffer, M200, Skyline, Somiko, Phileas & C74.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/c59349db.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/60df3923.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/5b1c1a6d.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/b5d5d16f.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/b0cfd365.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/ff926947.jpg

Figure 10.

Comparison Exemplar for Blue-Black inks.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/650ce1bd.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 11.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/14f368e4.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• Yes - when a luxurious alternate not-quite-Blue is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Well suited to the vast majority of internal and external correspondence that could be hand-written.
  • Has a distinct colour that is a classy side-step away from default Blue inks and even wonderful Blue inks. (So sorry Visconti.)
  • Not suited to dour topics, so should there be an outbreak of gravitas, perhaps a wee bottle of Blue-Black might be kept next to the SPAS-15 in the 'break glass' cupboard.
  • Results on the Staples 20lb were not encouraging, so a dry pen may be needed if working on 'lowest bidder' paper.
  • Not so eye catching as to be used for editing or mark-up; and not enough zap for error correction or grading of assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly possible, if not welcome.
  • Could be used as both figure and ground, depending on density / dilution. Operates well in the middle ground; and controls space very well.
  • Line quality tends to diminish just a bit as density increased, but not so much to preclude use for narrow tight lines on smooth surface paper.
  • As there is colour-shift when the dry ink is exposed to water, a Pt-y wash appears to have interesting potential.
  • Shading may need to be suppressed if used for labels, text or diagrams.

Students:

• Possible, but I'm not convinced.
  • As mentioned, performance on the Staples 20lb was not encouraging, yet not a show-stopper. YMMV
  • Water resistance may be sufficient for salvage.
  • Possible for hand-written assignments when one wants to stand out a bit.

Personal:

• This is truly one of my favourite not-quite-Blue inks.
  • Pt-y is far too exquisite for pro forma personal business writing - use-up the Diamine Indigo instead.
  • To achieve the full range of the ink's characteristics, I invariably choose an FP-friendly paper. Even then bleed- show-though may be encountered, which I've come to tolerate with this ink. *Gallic Shrug*
  • Those who flex their flexi nibs may also encounter bleed- show-through.
  • I prefer to run this ink at fairly high density, but still balanced to achieve a good bit of supple shading.
  • Even when I suppress its shading potential, Pt-y at high density from a narrow mono-line is really much much more than nice.
  • I could see great swathes of this ink flowing from wide nibs - nibs wider than I can manage. Interestingly, this ink does not seem crowded or clunky at high % coverage of the page.
  • Billets doux? Not in the least.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• High.
  • Controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Outstanding. :thumbup:
  • Slick nibs on smooth coated paper may be prone to wandering.

Nib Creepies:

• Not seen.

Staining [pen]:

• Not seen.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely with the high flow rate.

Bleed- Show-Through: :(

• HPJ1124: M200, C74.
  • Rhodia: C74!
  • Royal: M200, Somiko, C74.
  • Staples 20lb: Somiko.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Can appear in 'ink pools' / when density is high.
  • (See the HiRes image of the C74 on Royal.)

Smell:

• Absent.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not apparent.

Clean Up:

• Thorough and prompt with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • I see no reason whatsoever to mix into this ink, though those using wet flexi nibs may add a drop of dew to keep the colour & tone from submerging.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests:

• Please see Figure 11 above.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Slipping smoothly over a calm deep sea.

Saturation:

• Middling and variable
  • Can run an opaque dense line, or a translucent line.

Shading:

• Persistent and attractive.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • High.

[*]Papers used:

• A bit higher than one might expect.

[*]Malleability:

• High.
    • Even the wily practitioner may be served up a few pleasant surprises along the way: yoo-hoo! peek-a-boo!!

Hi-Res Scans:

(Originals are 60x30mm.)

As I do not wish to be known as '帯域幅強盗の女王', these are IMG-thumbs only. To view as intended, please click to enlarge.

Sheaffer on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/th_dda82c97.jpg

Skyline on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/th_3a0fca16.jpg

Somiko on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/th_9db5da2e.jpg

C74 on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20tsuki-yo/th_56a81dae.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• I recall several translations: Midnight Blue-Black; Night Sky; Moon Night; Moonlight.
  • Yet this ink conveys no sense of 'night', 'sky' or 'Blue-Black' to my [in]sensibilities.

OTHER INKS

• To enable ad hoc comparison, my Reviews of Blue inks from August 10 2010 onward share the same Written Sample layout, atrocious handwriting, and some papers & pens. Manipulation of browser windows allow for simultaneous viewing of Written Samples of several inks. In this case, the common pen is most likely to be the M200+EF.
  • Also, Figure 10 is included as a comparison exemplar for my recent Reviews of Blue-Black inks.
  • In addition, a recent thread appears in Inky Thoughts: LINK
  • That said, if you feel a specific aspect deserves to be depicted in a separate Topic or Post, your PM will be welcomed.

Swab Swami

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Neutral crisp whites.
  • Bales of the good stuff!

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Papers that cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• An interesting option.
  • I enjoy the 'natural' tint of the G Lalo White as shown. Pt-y on their Verge de France Ivory pushes the colour into Teal-Turquoise territory, and can generate a duo-tone effect within a translucent shaded line.
  • A pale Blue paper would another viable pick.
  • I would avoid buff/brown, rosey-red and violet tints.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms:
    • Possible.
    • Likely to require a dry writer.

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Not until one has suppressed the shading and established the density.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Quite likely.
  • Even though the appearance on the penny-a-page HPJ1124 was quite fine, Pt-y really rings the bell when run on smooth hard-surfaced papers such as Rhodia.
  • I have found Clairefontaine Triomphe a good pick as well.
  • The original 'Character' paper is excellent, but I have not sampled its namesake since production shifted to another mill. LINK

ETC.

Majik:

• Very possible.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The C74 on Rhodia.
  • Those with a preference for a shading ink from a wide shaped nib should be more than satisfied - sated perhaps?
  • The MS nib generates a high %-age coverage which Pt-y can manage with ease, especially as the nib is not a sharp Italic.

Yickity Yackity:

• I always look forward to using this ink. (Can you tell?)
  • Ah kushbaby, how many bottles do you have in your post-apocalyse cache?

== = ==

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens

Written Samples:

• Sheaffer (Japan) Lazer + steel F4 nib.
  • Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib.
  • Eversharp Skyline + 14K nib.
  • Sailor Somiko + TIGP B nib.
  • Waterman Phileas + g-p steel B nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + 14K MS nib.
  • Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib. (Figure 10, Blue-Black exemplar only.)

Lines & labels:

• Pilot Penmanship + XF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

Imaging:

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings:

HPJ1124

• Red 101
  • Grn 144
  • Blu 182
  • Lum 145

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have; and manner of working.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact, to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit, and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain pen ink review Pilot iroshizuku tsuki-yo Dark Blue Teal Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• mhosea

• XiaoMG

Boy lotsa work went in to this Review! Thanks for all that work and a nice review to boot.

Many thanks for a first-rate review of a highly regarded and admired ink!

I haven't yet had the opportunity/inclination to experiment with Tsuki-Yo. Some performance aspects look good (shading & water resistance).

My core inks are blue-blacks (i-g or otherwise); Tsuki-Yo appears to venture too far into the (dreaded) blaqua zone for me. I prefer my green-blues/blue-greens to be lighter (more in the turquoise realm) to be employed as a complement/foil to blue-blacks (just my preference).

Again thanks for your effort. One of these days I'll find my own ink review voice...

I have long wanted a bottle of this ink. Received a sample and I love it, but it seems similar enough to other 'cheaper' but high-quality inks that I don't HAVE to invest the money. Thanks for a great review though thumbup.gif You never disappoint.

Tamara

Boy lotsa work went in to this Review! Thanks for all that work and a nice review to boot.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Glad you like the review.

Bye,

S1

Many thanks for a first-rate review of a highly regarded and admired ink!

I haven't yet had the opportunity/inclination to experiment with Tsuki-Yo. Some performance aspects look good (shading & water resistance).

My core inks are blue-blacks (i-g or otherwise); Tsuki-Yo appears to venture too far into the (dreaded) blaqua zone for me. I prefer my green-blues/blue-greens to be lighter (more in the turquoise realm) to be employed as a complement/foil to blue-blacks (just my preference).

Again thanks for your effort. One of these days I'll find my own ink review voice...

Hi,

You're welcome!

My inky array also has a strong weighting of the Blue-Black inks, so it was one of the first in the Pilot iroshizuku series to grace my shelves. Initially I thought it was too Green - not what I had hoped to receive. But it was very appealing in its writing experience and range of appearance / malleability that it was soon on the ascent to my upper shelf.

Certainly, the 'base' colour of the ink has a strong Green component, but the nuance that can be achieved with this ink makes it quite special. More so than most inks, I think Pt-y is one that really must be used to fully appreciate.

Bye,

S1

Never read Sandy's review when hungry. OR, another option, don't read the samples written on the grocery list. Every grocery list makes me want to start cooking.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Bout time you did this one...my favourite ink. Excellent as always, Sandy!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I have long wanted a bottle of this ink. Received a sample and I love it, but it seems similar enough to other 'cheaper' but high-quality inks that I don't HAVE to invest the money. Thanks for a great review though thumbup.gif You never disappoint.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad you found other inks that will stand in for Pt-y. I think there are many inks that are really wonderful, so one can have the pleasure of writing, and achieve the desired results that fountain pens offer.

I hope my Reviews help make satisfying choices amongst the vast array of inks available, and avoid unrewarding purchases.

Bye,

S1

Never read Sandy's review when hungry. OR, another option, don't read the samples written on the grocery list. Every grocery list makes me want to start cooking.

:roflmho:

Bout time you did this one...my favourite ink. Excellent as always, Sandy!

Hi,

Thanks !

This was one of the inks that waited in the wings for quite some time before appearing here. Even though I've used two bottles of the stuff, I found it very hard to describe in words. And the ink kept showing a bit more, then a bit more, but without being elusive.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Thanks !

This was one of the inks that waited in the wings for quite some time before appearing here. Even though I've used two bottles of the stuff, I found it very hard to describe in words. And the ink kept showing a bit more, then a bit more, but without being elusive.

True. I get lost in this ink. It's so damn expensive, and I sit and write and scribble and draw, just to see it flow from the nib.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

very nice ink review :thumbup: but as usual with the Iroshizuku inks, a price of 35€ per bottle is really a big no for me

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

very nice ink review :thumbup: but as usual with the Iroshizuku inks, a price of 35€ per bottle is really a big no for me

Hi,

Thanks!

Bye,

S1

Although I have used this ink for nigh on to 18 months, your more calibrated & discerning eye provides insights which are precious and most welcome. Per word, the price of a bottle of ink is minimal - and why write with any ink that you don't really love?

My collection is light on the blue-blacks as they seem to lack character and distinctiveness, peas-in-a-pod as it were. There is an indefinable character to this ink that enchants my visual senses.

As always, I am in your debt for such an incisive and thorough analysis.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Tsukiyo means moonlit night. The color does seem to resemble the night sky with a bright full moon. It's more of a blue-charcoal rather than a blue-black to me.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Although I have used this ink for nigh on to 18 months, your more calibrated & discerning eye provides insights which are precious and most welcome. Per word, the price of a bottle of ink is minimal - and why write with any ink that you don't really love?

My collection is light on the blue-blacks as they seem to lack character and distinctiveness, peas-in-a-pod as it were. There is an indefinable character to this ink that enchants my visual senses.

As always, I am in your debt for such an incisive and thorough analysis.

Hi,

Glad you like the review!

This certainly is one of the more satisfying inks. It has so much more going on than can be shown in a scan - an 'it' factor. And one doesn't know what 'it' is until writing with the ink.

After posting the Review, I had an odd feeling that I had somehow done the ink a disservice - perhaps reminiscent of butterfly collectors who pin dead specimens to a bit of board, and expect the viewer to imagine them in flight.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Tsukiyo means moonlit night. The color does seem to resemble the night sky with a bright full moon. It's more of a blue-charcoal rather than a blue-black to me.

Hi,

Many thanks for the translation! :)

Yet to me the presence is more of water than the night sky.

Bye,

S1

Sandy, Thanks for a wonderful review of one of my longstanding ink crushes!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1