The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Baoer 517

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Songyi

Songyi

Quiescent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 23:00

I recently snagged a nice looking pen on eBay for $3.50 shipped. It was a Baoer 517 in blue with a 18K medium plated nib. Here are some first impressions:

Appearance & Design: 9/10
This pen looks very nice. The cap and barrel is blue with a marbled swirl of black. There are also accents of black and silver. The silver lining between the barrel and cap has Baoer etched by a laser and 517 on the back.
The thing that was interesting about this pen was that the clip is very springy and cap be pulled back quite a bit (leaving a 10mm gap). This was a cool addition if you have thick pockets or use your pens to clip stacks of paper.

Construction & Quality: 7/10
The pen was constructed very nicely. There are no manufacturing flaws aside from the obvious oils inside that have to be cleaned. I wish I could say the same about the converter though; it arrived with a small crack on the end. This was not a game changer as you could still use the converter without hindrance, but a quality or design flaw nonetheless.

Weight & Dimensions: 8/10
This pen is decently weighted. The balance is nice when unposted and very back-heavy if you write posted. The cap seems to weigh more than the rest of the pen!
The pen is 138mm long and approximately 31g w/o ink.

Nib & Performance: 8/10
The nib was bit of a let-down. It writes pretty smoothly with no flex (as expected) but some of the lettering was hidden into the grip and feed. I would not be surprised if Baoer just shoved a custom nib into some other manufacturer's pen.
The nib is fairly small compared to the rest of the pen, but seems to be well build and aligned. I ordered a medium nib and it arrived with a decent medium (unlike other Chinese pens, it was very similar to a "western medium"). The nib is two toned, and I highly doubt it is gold plated, but it was listed as 18K gold... Who cares? It writes well!
This pen writes a bit on the dry side, so I may consider removing the feed tube later on if this becomes an issue. I still don't understand how this will help though...

Cost & Value: 10/10
For a <$4 pen, I am pretty satisfied. This pen would have been a winner if not for its converter quality issue, but you can't expect more from a gold-nibbed FP at the price of a Pilot G2.

Overall: 8/10

I don't have pictures up yet, but if you need them now, check out Halden's review.
“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”
Graham Greene

Sponsored Content

#2 Songyi

Songyi

Quiescent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:35

I found out quickly that this pen eats ink like a beast! Just today I've converted it into an ED and so far have not have any leaks (yet). If anything does happen, I do have a tub of silicon grease. JIC
“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”
Graham Greene

#3 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:24

Good review!

I've been trying to choose a Baoer pen to try. Thus far it's between this one, the Y02, and the 388. I really like the sharp looks of the y02 though, and it comes in a medium nib.

Edited by P.A.R., 13 May 2012 - 03:24.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#4 Songyi

Songyi

Quiescent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:20

Good review!

I've been trying to choose a Baoer pen to try. Thus far it's between this one, the Y02, and the 388. I really like the sharp looks of the y02 though, and it comes in a medium nib.

This pen has amazing looks, but is a bit of a dry writer. The nib is stiff as a nail if that's what you were looking for. The reason I got this was because of the medium nib. It seems that not many Chinese pen companies bother with them anymore... :(
Graham Greene

#5 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:22

Thanks for the intel ... always looking for the next best pen that's really affordable ...

Sponsored Content

|