The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero 616 - Yet Another Review

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FunkeyMonk

FunkeyMonk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 14:48

Here's another handwritten review of a cheap Chinese pen I bought off eBay for less than five bucks. I'm really enjoying ordering these super-inexpensive pens from China----they're relatively risk-free, and often come with free shipping. Plus, the China Post shipping is so randomly fast or slow (I suspect it's really a US customs issue), it's always a surprise when another little package arrives.

IMG_2084.jpg

Here it is next to my Guanleming 2001 and a LAMY Al-Star.
IMG_2086.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Edited to add a few more pics.)

Edited by FunkeyMonk, 08 May 2012 - 18:37.

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:02

Nice review, I bought a 10 pack of these and gave most of them away as gifts. My niece's mother may forgive me, someday. Did you see the thread about converting one of these to a button filler?

#3 FunkeyMonk

FunkeyMonk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:05

A button filler? Sheesh, that's a lot of work. But at least it's a cheap pen --- no problem with experimental failures.

Also, sorry about the second photo---writing pen reviews at work doesn't lend itself to using my fancy camera.

#4 bhbarto

bhbarto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:14

They are fine pens for the money. I have given away 10 at least, and I keep a 616 Jumbo in my collection. Hero quality control is really very poor.

Pen(s) Currently in Rotation:

ASA Daily (Medium) - Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu

Sailor 1911 Large (Broad) - Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Sheaffer Snorkel Desk Pen (Medium) - Lamy Blue-Black

#5 mik86

mik86

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 15:25

I got my 616 from ahai006 and the cover for the bulb is black plastic and the button is metal. The stamped feather lines also cover 2/3 of the clip and the clip attachment is loose. I wonder if hero changed their pens. :(

#6 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 15:33

I bought the 616 a week ago and it has been my go to pen as of late ... smooth with no issues ... Thanks for the review

Scott

#7 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:29

Yet another review? Maybe but I still love reading them, even after getting a few 51s. I don't usually read handwritten reviews as much, yours is nice and clear :-) Much appreciated.

I got my 616 from ahai006 and the cover for the bulb is black plastic and the button is metal. The stamped feather lines also cover 2/3 of the clip and the clip attachment is loose

That sac guard does sound a bit bogus. If the cap isn't a riveted together copy, you can tighten it up the clip with a screwdriver up the inner cap's backside and a piece of rubber on the jewel (which screws directly into the blindcap). Remember, metal into plastic, so tight enough is tight enough!

FunkyMonk, if your 616 is for throw in the bag type usage, you might want to tinker with the cap, it will be more secure on the pen, put less stress on the plastic hood, and give you that 'satisfying click'. 2 of my 616s were the same as yours, the lip of the inner cap wants a little sanding. As bhbarto says, there's no quality control on these pens, but all the ingredients are there for a tasty wee writer.

Hero 616 cap fix : http://flounders-min...16-cap-fix.html

It's funny how tastes vary in re: heavy and light pens. I sold my beautiful, wet, smooth Targa 1003 in the end, I found the brass body too heavy for extended use.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#8 teketeke

teketeke

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:07

I was using my 616 this very evening. I bought a pack of these with mixed QC, but definitely worth it on the whole. Great review! I'm really wondering about this button-filler business...

#9 John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:04

I bought a pack of 3 Hero 616 "Jumbo" pens a while ago - I found them all very reliable, and quite smooth writers.

The one I keep at work (loaded with Rotring Brillant Ultramarine) has been left for a week at times, & always started up without problems.

#10 ObliqueIntern

ObliqueIntern

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:38

I received this pen as a gift from a fellow pen friend. I really enjoy mine and use it all the time. It's always inked. It's a pretty good quality pen for only a couple of bucks.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

|