Noodler's Rome Burning

mhphoto

I received my order early this week and rather like the color -- but after filling my Platinum, the second me I used it --most of the ink leaked out on the paper. I will try it in a drier writing pen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• watch_art

• USMCMom

• shaylenwilliams

It seems like somewhere in one of these threads, there was a suggestion that, when soaked, you can watch the brown/yellow float off, so presumably dilution wouldn't affect that at all and would just improve characteristics flow-wise.

Perhaps one of Sandy1's famous dilution level comparisons can demonstrate the various performances at different dilution levels.

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

It seems like somewhere in one of these threads, there was a suggestion that, when soaked, you can watch the brown/yellow float off, so presumably dilution wouldn't affect that at all and would just improve characteristics flow-wise.

Perhaps one of Sandy1's famous dilution level comparisons can demonstrate the various performances at different dilution levels.

Correct. Diluting it would have no effect, though I guess you could theoretically dilute it to the point where the yellow dye is thinned out enough to yield a little more color to the resilient purple ink.

Today I swabbed a big square section of RIB and dropped a nice circle water in the middle. It brought up the yellow dye. I soaked up all the water/dye with a cotton ball and the result was a pretty smooth gradation from brown to purple in the middle. I'll post a scan a bit later.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Why is it that every time someone doesn't LOVE every single Noodler's ink he resorts to nastiness? There is no shortage of choices; don't expect that every ink should suit you.

Different pen strokes for different pen folks. Live and let write.

Your original post definitely came across as snide and with a far ruder overtone than the post you're critiquing. :rolleyes:

Too bad the ink takes forever to soak for the color change, or you could have a lot of fun with a spray bottle and create some nice effects. :(

Let's see -- the post I critiqued described the Noodler's ink as "horrible" and referred to the "inconsistent quality" of Noodler's ink.

I stand by my post and would be happy to repeat it.

Today I swabbed a big square section of RIB and dropped a nice circle water in the middle. It brought up the yellow dye. I soaked up all the water/dye with a cotton ball and the result was a pretty smooth gradation from brown to purple in the middle. I'll post a scan a bit later.

Here's the swab test:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningExtrasColorChange.jpg

And here are some extra examples of Rome Is Burning on other papers written with a fine nib pen.

100% Cotton:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningExtrasCotton.jpg

Georgia-Pacific Copy Paper:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningExtrasCopy.jpg

Edited by mhphoto

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningExtrasColorChange.jpg

Does it look this metallic in person???

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Does it look this metallic in person???

It looks metallic without being metallic, if that makes sense.

Have you diluted it?

Not yet. Ill try it and get back to you, but my Photobucket account is about to go over on bandwidth so I can't promise a picture. :bawl:

I think that makes sense! :thumbup:

I couldn't tell in the picture if it was a gold sheen / actually metallic, or if it was paper fibres reflecting in the photo.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Any recommendations on dilution amounts? I guess I'll try 1:1 first and see how that works out.

You should upload your photos to the FPN "Upload" page - the button is at the top of the FPN screen, towards the right.

I'll probably end up doing that. The only reason I haven't is that I'm very anal about keeping all my various scans in one place. :embarrassed_smile:

Anywho, here's a (less-than-my-normal-super-resolution) scan comparing 1:1 dilution to undiluted Rome Is Burning on Georgia-Pacific copy paper.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningDilutiononCopyPaperLarge.jpg

It doesn't really behave better (at least in the Serwex I used as a test pen), it just seems to get more yellow and has an increased propensity to feather and spread when laid down thick.

Edited by mhphoto

Let's see -- the post I critiqued described the Noodler's ink as "horrible" and referred to the "inconsistent quality" of Noodler's ink.

If you were able to read and understand what you have read, you would have noticed that I'm praising a lot of the work Nathan does.

The term "horrible" was not used to deal an absolute verdict, but in comparison to other inks from Noodler's. And the writing qualities of this ink definitely are at the lower end of his range.

Why, in heaven and earth, should I try to convince other manufacturers to produce more bad writing inks? You really have bizarre ideas.

Greetings,

Michael

This is my handwritten review of Noodler's brand new Rome [is] Burning. Overall I'm torn on this ink. Since writing the review I've grown more attached to it, and no longer think I wasted $13. But it is an ink of limited uses. And it's a shame too, because it's such an interesting color (and concept). Without the horrendous feathering and gushing problems (see my shameful Brause example :unsure: ) I would like it a lot more.

Overall, I'll say that if you can find your own little use for this ink it would be worth the $12.50, but if you're looking for a good, everyday ink, look elsewhere.

How does any ink feather on Rhodia????? I have not yet met an ink that does that: skipping yes, but feathering, no I have a bottle waiting for me in the mail in NY because I wanted to make sure to get a bottle. This is very disappointing news.

How does any ink feather on Rhodia????? I have not yet met an ink that does that: skipping yes, but feathering, no I have a bottle waiting for me in the mail in NY because I wanted to make sure to get a bottle. This is very disappointing news.

I know! I was pretty surprised too. The only three inks I've encountered that have feathered on Rhodia and Clairefontaine papers are Rome Is Burning (even with fine nibs), Blue Nose Bear (except with fine nibs), and Baystate Blue (only when laid down really thick). Those are similarly the only inks that have also bled through those papers.

I know! I was pretty surprised too. The only three inks I've encountered that have feathered on Rhodia and Clairefontaine papers are Rome Is Burning (even with fine nibs), Blue Nose Bear (except with fine nibs), and Baystate Blue (only when laid down really thick). Those are similarly the only inks that have also bled through those papers.

Which paper does Rome Burning NOT feather and bleed through on in your experience??

Which paper does Rome Burning NOT feather and bleed through on in your experience??

It actually seems to do best in the finest nib possible on regular old copy paper for me, as I posted on page one:

Georgia-Pacific Copy Paper:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningExtrasCopy.jpg

But with the same fine nib it barely feathers on Rhodia, if at all. I think it's just all about the finest nib you can pair it with. Here's a close up of the Serwex 77TR with RIB on Rhodia:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/RomeIsBurningSerwex77TRCloseUp.jpg

Yeah, there's a little, but unless you're squinting at it, trying to find it, you won't notice in real life.

I have to be honest, this ink has really grown on me. It's in a fine nib pen, where it belongs if it's going to be in a pen. :thumbup:

One paper that has absolutely no feathering or bleed through, no matte how thick it is laid down is on the Tomroe River Paper.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.